MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ > For the Board

Notices

For the Board *On Topic Only* Strictly moderated. NO BAD KARMA! This forum is for questions and discussions you would like reviewed by members of the KCBS(or other BBQ orgs) Board of Directors. A clean and direct place where they do not have to wade thru day to day chatter.

Old 06-09-2008, 09:54 AM   #1
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Comment cards?

Just curious why they did away with the judges comment cards from last year? Has to be a system where at least you have to give a mandatory comment for anything below a 6. The 4-8-8 in received in chicken i think really owes me an explanation for the 4. With the skyrocketing cost of doing these comps with regard to food fuel etc more feedback is necessary or just out of respect for all the cooks that put so much in to this.
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-09-2008, 02:57 PM   #2
Tinybud
Take a breath!

I'd like to know that as well,, I judged the event, and i know from competing that an explanation for a low score would be a great thing to know..to get a better understanding what may have been wrong or what judges are looking for. And it doesn't take much time to fill one out. I'd like to see them at all contest.
6ft. Southern Yankee
Meadow Creek Caterer's Delight 108
Caldera Tallboy
Tinybud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 05:28 PM   #3
Merl
Full Fledged Farker

Jim Minion and I worked hard to get the Board to begin using judging slips with definitions, as well as comment cards. The Board would only allow it as a test program in 07. Jim, Linda, Mike, Merl and Don were the "Test Reps". As part of the test, we utilized post contest surveys. (more than 750 surveys were received and) the results were as follows:
98% of all surveys retruned by CBJ's wanted the comment cards
92% of all surveys returned by cooks wanted the comment cards.
However, the Board voted to not continue the comment cards into 08.
From the Novemeber 08 Board Minutes:
Jim Minion made a motion to use all comment cards in 2008. Votes were as follows: Gray-no, Kirk-no, Ownby-yes, Tuttle-no, Lohman-no, Lake-no, Whitebook-yes, Black-no, Minion-yes, Harwell-yes, Mullane-yes.

FAILS 6 NO to 5 yes

Merl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 07:14 PM   #4
big blue bbq
Take a breath!

That about wraps it up for all political type people. Lets never listen to what the people want, lets give them what we think they want. Thanks for trying Merl!!!!

WSM 22.5"
WSM 18"
Traeger 075
Weber one touch gold (blue of course!)
Jack's old south cooker:-P
big blue bbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 08:28 PM   #5
Tinybud
Take a breath!

Why'd they even bother with a survey,,, seems they do what they want any how,,, don't seem to care about what the members want,,if over 90 percent of teams and judges wanted the cards,,then it should have been a no brainer...
6ft. Southern Yankee
Caldera Tallboy
Old 06-09-2008, 08:45 PM   #6
SmokeInDaEye
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by big blue bbq View Post
That about wraps it up for all political type people. Lets never listen to what the people want, lets give them what we think they want. Thanks for trying Merl!!!!
Hear hear! For the record, I only received the comment cards once and didn't know what the heck they meant (talking about my crisp chicken skin though I had to turn in chicken sans skin since it was burnt), I could definitely could see the potential with some practice.

Sled, was the 4 in appearance that far off from the other scores? A four seems pretty harsh.
Gen II Komodo Kamado, Pit Barrel Cooker, 3x 18.5" WSMs, 22.5" WSM, modified 18.5" Weber Kettle, 22.5" Weber Kettle circa 1960ish, Weber One Touch Platinum, copper Weber Smokey Joe, La Caja China, Bubba Keg, Bodom Picnic Grill, Weber Genesis
SmokeInDaEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 08:56 PM   #7
Tinybud
Take a breath!

I remember judging at Berk's last year, I gave someone a 4 in apperance,, think it was in pork, and when I turned in my score card, the contest rep asked me to explain why I gave it a 4, and I had to explain to him my reason,,
We competed at Franklin last year (smoke on the alleghany) and we got comment cards back,, some were helpful,, and others didn't make any sense,,but I think if judges got the cards more often and was explained what to put down, like why did you give someone a low score,, or what did you like the most about the entry,, wouldn't have to be anything complicated,, dry, salty, overcooked, uncooked,,etc,,, anything would be helpful.
6ft. Southern Yankee
Caldera Tallboy
Old 06-10-2008, 04:20 AM   #8
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeInDaEye View Post
Hear hear! For the record, I only received the comment cards once and didn't know what the heck they meant (talking about my crisp chicken skin though I had to turn in chicken sans skin since it was burnt), I could definitely could see the potential with some practice.

Sled, was the 4 in appearance that far off from the other scores? A four seems pretty harsh.
yes, i know its only one score and it gets dropped but i would still like an explanation. Having a rep ask the judge why does me no good. Interesting vote vs. survey. Thank You KCBS. board on another great decision in the best interest of us the cook and judges. What do we know? Ridiculous . For personal reason I have been thinking about quitting competition cooking, this helps my decision
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]
Old 06-10-2008, 04:45 AM   #9
backporchbbq
is one Smokin' Farker

I would like to see comments. Some of our scores were really good and on the same turn in we got ripped by another judge. I don't understand how I can get a 9 on something and another judge gives me a 5. I love doing the contests, but it is kind of annoying. It may make me think about cutting down on the comps each year.
backporchbbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 09:35 AM   #10
BigBarry
is One Chatty Farker

Thanks Merl. Nice to know the MEMBERS are well served by OUR board!

I think the comment cards would be great. I had high scores in one category and a 5-5-5!! Other people had a 5-5-5 with good to great scores in a category. The reps should really watch the judges and take one aside to find out why they are so way off from the rest of the judges on a turn-in box.
Webers: Smokey Mountains (2 18.5" and a 22.5") - Performer 22" Silver - Go AnyWhere Charcoal - Smokey Joe Platinum - Craigslist Silver Gasser
BBQ - Bring Beer Quick!
In the Land of the Pig, the Butcher is King!
BigBarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 11:11 AM   #11
BBQ_Mayor
is One Chatty Farker

I got only 1 of those comment cards and it didn't help at all.

The judge didn't score it down and thought it was perfect but just wanted to let me know that it really didn't taste like "bbq chicken". What ever. I'll keep on doing what I'm doing.
WSM, Whole Hog Lousianna pellet Smoker
IPT pellet Smoker and Gateway Drum
CBJ #4643
BBQ_Mayor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 11:57 AM   #12
acorette
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merl View Post
Jim Minion and I worked hard to get the Board to begin using judging slips with definitions, as well as comment cards. The Board would only allow it as a test program in 07. Jim, Linda, Mike, Merl and Don were the "Test Reps". As part of the test, we utilized post contest surveys. (more than 750 surveys were received and) the results were as follows:
98% of all surveys retruned by CBJ's wanted the comment cards
92% of all surveys returned by cooks wanted the comment cards.
However, the Board voted to not continue the comment cards into 08.
From the Novemeber 08 Board Minutes:
Jim Minion made a motion to use all comment cards in 2008. Votes were as follows: Gray-no, Kirk-no, Ownby-yes, Tuttle-no, Lohman-no, Lake-no, Whitebook-yes, Black-no, Minion-yes, Harwell-yes, Mullane-yes.

FAILS 6 NO to 5 yes

I'd like to see the "comment cards" from the board members who voted NO when all people with skin in the game (cooks and judges) wanted them! Why not? What's the harm? I'm with Sled on this one - a number doesn't tell us what we can do to improve... Frustrating.

Custom Southern Yankee rotisserie trailer towed by the 8-Ball RV
Brinkmann Cimarron, Weber One Touch Gold (22.5), Camp Chef 2 burner stove + Griddle, 10, 16 and 20 qt Dutch ovens, Scottims Pit Grille
acorette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 12:03 PM   #13
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

Would a petition from members work in this situation or just be a waste of time?
Old 06-11-2008, 08:35 AM   #14
BigBarry
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledneck View Post
Would a petition from members work in this situation or just be a waste of time?
I say surround the KCBS castle with pitchforks and torches!!! Arrrrrghhh!
Webers: Smokey Mountains (2 18.5" and a 22.5") - Performer 22" Silver - Go AnyWhere Charcoal - Smokey Joe Platinum - Craigslist Silver Gasser
BBQ - Bring Beer Quick!
In the Land of the Pig, the Butcher is King!
BigBarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 08:39 AM   #15
Jorge
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acorette View Post
I'd like to see the "comment cards" from the board members who voted NO when all people with skin in the game (cooks and judges) wanted them! Why not? What's the harm? I'm with Sled on this one - a number doesn't tell us what we can do to improve... Frustrating.
In fairness, it should be noted that some of the folks that voted NO spend a lot of time as competition cooks or Reps, and spend more time at contests than most. So they do, in fact, have 'skin in the game'.

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote