• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Pepper Grinders

ZBQ

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I have been in search of a good pepper grinder that you won't wear your wrist out if you want 2 tsp. of fresh pepper.

You guys have any favorites?

I was thinking of one like this but I thought that maybe you guys might know of some others that aren't quite as expensive.

Has anyone tried one of these?

If so, how did you like it?

It's what I am leaning towards.

If you need 2 tsp. then get one of those magic bullets or a cheap coffee grinder.

What I was going to suggest.

That magnum looks pretty sweet, though. I wonder how fast it really is?

Just like it does to coffee beans, an electric coffee grinder will heat the peppercorns up when grinding and they will lose some potency. If you do use an electric grinder, operate it in short bursts with a couple of seconds of cooling time between cycles.

the unicorn magnum plus is on my list... i just need to get it in gear and make a few clicks!

(and change that avatar, man! that's gotta hurt)

Zassenhaus---think thats the right name---think ours came from Penzeys

Perfex. The whole thing is machiined metal, will lasta lifetime and grinds a lot real fast.

I have a brass one like the one in the first link. Works great for me, have been using it for about 15 years.

If I want serious amounts of freshly ground pepper, I do resort to a electric coffee grinder. As mentioned, just go slow, in short bursts.

Look for a grinder that has ceramic grinding elements. They will out last steel and give a more consistant grind. The Trudeau brand is very nice and they have both steel and ceramic elements.

I own the Unicorn Magnum and love it. I also carry the small one in my pocket for restraunt use. If you need 1 or 2 tsp or tbs, I keep a small bottle of Penzeys pre-ground in the freezer. Scoop and use! NUTZ

I use a brass Turkish Coffee grinder. Same type as Jeff Smith an old chef who was on tv used. Bought it in 2003 for about $30 dollars at a store called World Market.

Thats after I went through several cheaper ones. This one has a crank like an old mechanical pencil sharpener. I can adjust the grind size by adjusting the screw on the bottom of the mill.

I use a brass Turkish Coffee grinder. Same type as Jeff Smith an old chef who was on tv used. Bought it in 2003 for about $30 dollars at a store called World Market.

Thats after I went through several cheaper ones. This one has a crank like an old mechanical pencil sharpener. I can adjust the grind size by adjusting the screw on the bottom of the mill.

That''s what I've got. Jeff Smith turned me on [to the brass Turkish Grinder:eek:] too.

With that long crank handle, you can crank our some serious pepper.

Them look like some mighty fine grinders, Boatnut. I would love to have a couple in my kitchen for spices.

Do you think one of them would grind whole cloves real fine. What about cinammon sticks [broken up]?
Thanks

Whatever you do get a good one as I just threw two away that wouldn't grind dust!

Best pepper grinder (and salt shaker) I have ever owned.

They can also repair my hyperdrive motivator, or front deflector shield if needed.

2191197888_03544910ed_o.jpg

Is Shrek used for pounding basil? lol

Back