MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-04-2013, 05:10 PM   #1
104timberwolf
Full Fledged Farker

Default ? About Wireless Thermometer and Brinkmann Offset

A question for the group. I would like to start using a remote probe thermometer with my Brinkmann offset and I'm looking for the best way to run the probe wire. The smoker is 1/4 inch steel and I'm concerned about the door crushing the wire. I really don't want to drill the smoker if I don't have to. Looking for suggestions.

Thanks!
104timberwolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-04-2013, 05:16 PM   #2
swibirun
is one Smokin' Farker

I used to have a Brinkmann SnP Pro offset and I just ran mine under the door. The only other two holes I remember it having were the one for the thermometer mounted on the door and the hole for the grease to drip out.
swibirun is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-04-2013, 05:19 PM   #3
sliding_billy
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : )

With a 6' lead, you may have enough to feed it through the exhaust.
sliding_billy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-04-2013, 05:25 PM   #4
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

I wouldn't worry about the brinkman door, from the ones I have seen the door doesn't seal well.

Besides a 1/4" or 3/8" drill bit will cut through like butter.

These are available at home depot in various sizes.

IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-04-2013, 06:04 PM   #5
Callahan-que
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Rick

I used one under the door on my Lang with out hurting anything.

Old 11-04-2013, 07:31 PM   #6
okiej
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeff

I use a Maverick et 732 remote on my Brinkmann SNPP regularly. I just run it under the door and close the door gently. The door doesn't seal all that well on mine so there is no problem. If you have the 6 ft probes you can go down the exhaust or up thru the grease hole drain I suppose. I would probably drill a hole before I did that and install a grommet as has been mentioned. Then you can locate the hole to your liking. I would probably put it just to the side of the door just above grate level. You will love having a remote!
okiej is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-04-2013, 07:49 PM   #7
104timberwolf
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks everyone! What brands of thermometer have you all had good luck with?

Old 11-04-2013, 09:49 PM   #8
crb478
Full Fledged Farker

I have a large offset and I drilled and tapped three holes on the back side. I use a maverick et732 in two of the holes(pit temp in the center hole) and another maverick food only thermometer in the third. When I am not using the thermometers I thread stainless bolts into the holes to keep the heat in or any bugs out.
I can open the door and check on the meat this way and not disturb the probes or wires. I have a shelf on the back side that I leave the transivers on.
crb478 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-05-2013, 01:16 AM   #9
afidel
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 104timberwolf View Post
Thanks everyone! What brands of thermometer have you all had good luck with?
Most folks use the Maverick ET-732. The probes do NOT like water, you can help em by putting a dab of red RTV where the wire enters the probe. There's also a source for water resistant probes floating around somewhere on the net but if you can avoid damaging the originals it's much cheaper since a pair of probes costs almost as much as you can find the 732 for on sale.
afidel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-05-2013, 04:47 PM   #10
smokin'matt
Knows what a fatty is.

I'm using a Maverick 733 with my NBBD. Just run the wires under the door. The NBBD is similar to your Brinkmann. My door probably seals better than yours since I installed oven gasket, but there's no issue with harming the probe wires. Running the probes through the exhaust means a lot more cleaning to do after your cook. As afidel says, they don't like water so the less dirt or smoke on the wires, the better off you are.
smokin'matt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-05-2013, 05:01 PM   #11
Teleking
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 104timberwolf View Post
A question for the group. I would like to start using a remote probe thermometer with my Brinkmann offset and I'm looking for the best way to run the probe wire. The smoker is 1/4 inch steel and I'm concerned about the door crushing the wire. I really don't want to drill the smoker if I don't have to. Looking for suggestions.

Thanks!
1/4 inch thick steel brinkman... This I have to see
Teleking is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-05-2013, 05:30 PM   #12
104timberwolf
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teleking View Post
1/4 inch thick steel brinkman... This I have to see
No, this isn't a $130 Home Depot Brinkmann. It was built by Oklahoma Joe and labelled Brinkmann for several years before production was taken over by Horizon.