Al Pastor on a Rotisserie??

Peppers

Check Shop Rite.
The one by me carries them.

Hi All I did find the Guajillo peppers in Shop rite.
Thanks Phil..
What didn't find were the Ancho peppers.Here is a list of the peppers they did have.
Chili Morita
Chili Costeno
Chili Puya
Chili Pasilla
What would be a good substitute for the Ancho pepper. The label on the Pasilli said mild heat.My wife can't take any kind of heat.
Thanks All DanB

They also had Ground Achiote and paste? I've seen some recipes where Achiote was used?

Last edited:
Yes guajillo y pasilla are good. Authentic al pastor uses all three. Guajillo, pasilla and ancho. More of the first two only a couple ancho. Just add a couple extra in place of the ancho. I don’t consider any of these peppers to have any heat.

Last edited:
Hi All I did find the Guajillo peppers in Shop rite.
Thanks Phil..
What didn't find were the Ancho peppers.Here is a list of the peppers they did have.
Chili Morita
Chili Costeno
Chili Puya
Chili Pasilla
What would be a good substitute for the Ancho pepper. The label on the Pasilli said mild heat.My wife can't take any kind of heat.
Thanks All DanB

They also had Ground Achiote and paste? I've seen some recipes where Achiote was used?

Pasillas are a good sub for Anchos.

1. Yes, it can be done on a rotisserie.

2. I have not seen a store bought marinade for Al Pastor

3. Not sure what you have on hand, so hard to determine if there's a quick one you can make. :)

Here's an Al Pastor roti cook I did:

Al%20Pastor%20May%205%202019%207_zpsar5iwds9.jpg

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=272211

And the marinade recipe:

[FONT=&quot]Al Pastor Pork Marinade[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]3 guajillo chiles
2 ancho chiles
1 bay leaf
1/2 cup orange juice
¼ cup white vinegar[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2 cloves or ¼ tsp
1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
2 cloves garlic
2 1/2 tablespoons salt
3/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon Mexican oregano
1/2 onion, peeled and sliced thin[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2-3 pounds boneless pork butt, sliced as close to 1/4 inch as possible[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Combine two cups of water, the dried chiles and the bay leaf in a large pot and bring to a boil. Simmer for 5 minutes, and let stand until soft, about 5 minutes. Drain. Discard bay leaf, seed and stem chiles.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Put softened chiles in a food processor with the orange and pineapple juices, vinegar, cinnamon, salt, pepper, garlic, oregano, and one sliced onion. Puree until smooth.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Pour the marinade into Ziplocs or a sealable container add the meat and toss to coat. Refrigerate 24 to 48 hours[/FONT].

I'm drooling at this pic and recipe, Moose, and this pic is wall worthy. :-D

Last edited:
I've never thought al pastor marinade made for spicy meat...both those peppers are lower in Scoville rating than a jalapeno and the sweet part of the marinade kind of masks what little heat there is, IMO.

Hi What is in the sweet part of the marinade?
Thanks DanB

Al Pastor on a Rotisserie/WSM

Hi So if the marinade is too hot for my wife, I can tone it done some with the juices?
Thanks DanB

Dan

Due to you taking so long to make this I went ahead and made the marinade and have my butt slices marinading ... I will put on my spit and rotice about 300f until crispy...

https://www.mylatinatable.com/best-tacos-al-pastor-recipe/

Hi Lets us know how you make out.Yeah I'm kinda of slow getting around to do food things.Want to get it right the 1st time. Did you have to download the extention to view the menu?
Thanks DanB

Hi OK got it now.
Thanks DanB

Hi All How long do you think the Al Pastor marinate will last in the fridge?
Thanks Dan

Hi All How long do you think the Al Pastor marinate will last in the fridge?
Thanks Dan

Hi All Finally got the guajillo,ancho chiles. I'd like to make up the marinade up ahead of time so I can adjust the heat.How long do you think it last in the fridge?
Is Mexican oregano necessary or just use regular oregano?
Thanks Dan

Last edited:
Id feel fine using it 3 to 5 days...maybe longer...sometime things with peppers in them actually end up tasting better after a few days of letting all the flavors mingle.

Dagnabbit... You folks have me seriously considering doing this over the weekend...

Dan, if you have regular oregano, it'll be fine. You're headed in the right direction, and I appreciate that you're trying to take care of momma, too. I also appreciate the fact that you're tasting things as you go along. That's tops.

Keep on rockin', man. I really look forward to your upcoming cook.

Hi All I'm also looking forward to the Al Pastor cook..Got some time to go, first I got to do some beef ribs to try out a new rub, then on too Al Pastor. Will post the Al Pastor cook, when I finally get around to it.

Any more thoughts or idea's on the Al Pastor will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks DanB

Quick follow-up, as I JUST made Moose's Marinade above:

Moose mentioned Pineapple Juice in the verbiage, but I didn't see it in the ingredients list. I added 1/2 cup, and it seemed about right.

DanB - The peppers noted in the recipe have lots of flavor (especially when combined with all the other goodness), but NO heat. My 3 year old sounds about like your wife on the subject, and I'm confident she'll destroy the al pastor when we cook it.

I seriously want(ed) to just stand there in the kitchen, eating the marinade with a spoon after I tasted it.

Moose mentioned Pineapple Juice in the verbiage, but I didn't see it in the ingredients list. I added 1/2 cup, and it seemed about right.

DanB - The peppers noted in the recipe have lots of flavor (especially when combined with all the other goodness), but NO heat. My 3 year old sounds about like your wife on the subject, and I'm confident she'll destroy the al pastor when we cook it.

I seriously want(ed) to just stand there in the kitchen, eating the marinade with a spoon after I tasted it.

your hitting the mark man!

Good to hear ..:thumb::thumb:I got the beef ribs done,, so next it is onto the AlPastor. Did you cook it yet, if so what did you cook on?
Thanks DanB

Last edited:

Hi All Well I finally got around to making the W/F marinade for the Al Pastor..I had to add 9.6 oz of pineapple juice and 8 oz of orange juice, to it make mild enough for my wife to like. My wife was the tester...I have a 4 lb bone in butt to sliced up when I ready in the next few days. Will post back with the pics and the results.

Thanks All Dan

Back