Thoughts on WSM?

asmonro

Got Wood.
Reaction score
Pretty sure I am going to get a WSM, however, still very undecided on which size to get. I normally cook for small groups of people (10-15) so I know that the 18.5 would be good for that, but I keep going back to the 22.5 because of the potential to do larger groups and ability to fit full racks of ribs and packer briskets. Amount of fuel is not an issue to me. Anyone have any thoughts on which one I should get?

I have both an 18 1/2" and 22 1/2" WSM. I use them both. If I had to have just one, I'd get the 22 1/2" model.

Good luck.

Get the 18.5in one and learn your craft. Catch the bbq bug and then build yourself a 2 rack UDS. UDS is the same concept as a WSM but with less area's where you can get air leaks.

All comes down to personal preference and what will be the best fit for you.

Did my first large-scale (for me, at least) cook for about 30 people. Smoked a 15lb brisket packer. Pulled it from the smoker and slipped it into the oven. Then put 12 racks of St. Louis spare ribs on the smoker. All ended up being done about the same time and I was able to feed this group with a ton of leftovers.

I don't plan on feeding big groups like that very often, but it's nice to know I have the horsepower should the need arise. I have the WSM 22.5. Size matters!

For 10-15 and potentially more, i'd go with the 22 as well for the ease of using.

Also- may be a good idea to keep tabs on Craigslist. Ya never know what ya might find. I checked there on a whim and ended up finding my WSM 22. Brand new, still in the box, $150. I couldn't afford not to buy it.

I've watched CL for a year and never seen a WSM available, in my area that's why I'm working on the UDS.

I would go with the 22. It is what I have been running for two years. It has been great for everything from as small as two racks of spares up to 30# of brisket and 20# of butts. It could have held more, but that is the most I have put on it at once. It can also hold large briskets (17#+) or several rib racks flat on each level.

I also made a smaller charcoal ring out of expanded metal to do the smaller cooks.

Go with the 22.5. You can do smaller cooks if you need to and just shut down all the vents to extinguish the coals. I always have left over coals for the next cook.

Thank you all for the help in deciding. Now to convince the wife. Any major downfalls with the WSM? Also, are there any must do mods before use?

Thank you all for the help in deciding. Now to convince the wife. Any major downfalls with the WSM? Also, are there any must do mods before use?
I'd say a slot for your probes if you plan to use a temp device. Wheels won't hurt either.

There are many ways to get alot more meat on an 18.5. Rib racks, etc. If fuel is not a consideration, I say go with the 22. I can do up to a 16# full packer brisket on my 18.5 or 6 racks of ribs using rib racks (3 per shelf by bending them in a "U" shape) or 4 butts (2 per shelf). With about 12 lbs of KBB, I can run about 14 hours at 250*F +.

Turn a SS bowl upside down for a a large brisket:

11943o6.jpg

Ribs on a rack:

2woiye0.jpg

de4okw.jpg

You'll be happy either way. Good Luck!

I don't do a lot of big cooks either but I want the option to do so if needed, I went with the 22 and have no regrets. There's plenty of mods out there but none that are must do's. I've had mine for a couple of years now and haven't done anything to it but put a nice layer of gunk on the insides of the thing.

If you are going to burn lump you will need a second charcoal grate set perpendicular to the first. It keeps the small pieces of lump from falling through the grate. I suggest using using "hardwood" briquettes such as Subbs brand. I get more consistent and longer burn. Also foil wrap your water pan for easier clean up..

I have both as well and plan on getting the 14.5 model when its out in 2014

I cant see how its not the best smoker in that price range. There is no better cooker in that price range!!!!

Permission???

I really don't get this whole "ask permission" thing.

Unless she is co-signing a note for the WSM I say buy it "for us" (no permission needed) and get smoking.

Back