First time at Killen's Today

holdenf92

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Just left Killen's in Pearland TX today after my first visit. Great atmosphere, beautiful building and a pretty fast-moving line. I got a two meat plate with brisket and pork rib, and a link of sausage. Sides were creamed corn and collard greens. I also had to try a banana pudding. Everything was excellent. Rib was a full spare, deff not overdone, a good bite pulled the meat right off the bone. The brisket had a very subtle smoke flavor and was perfectly tender but a little on the dryer side for me. The sausage was great as well with a peppery bite, but I was really blown away by the sides. Those collards are hands down the best I've ever had, and the cream corn tasted fresh off the cob. If you haven't made the trek down to Killen's yet I highly recommend it. You will leave full and happy.

Something about Killen's brisket is off. Everyone who goes there says that. I had heard several people mention it being dry before I went. I was thinking "Maybe it was just an off day" or 'They are just being picky". When i went, I got some of the regular brisket and then I also paid the $35/pound for the SRF Gold brisket. The normal $20/pound brisket was OK, but just seemed on the dry side as everyone mentions. The SRF brisket was on par with with what everyone else in Houston is selling as their normal $20/lb brisket.

I thought I read an article that said Ron was bumping up his game and everything will be Waygu. It just does not seem like it. Still good stuff though. Killen's ribs are probably my favorite.

Something about Killen's brisket is off. Everyone who goes there says that. I had heard several people mention it being dry before I went. I was thinking "Maybe it was just an off day" or 'They are just being picky". When i went, I got some of the regular brisket and then I also paid the $35/pound for the SRF Gold brisket. The normal $20/pound brisket was OK, but just seemed on the dry side as everyone mentions. The SRF brisket was on par with with what everyone else in Houston is selling as their normal $20/lb brisket.

I thought I read an article that said Ron was bumping up his game and everything will be Waygu. It just does not seem like it. Still good stuff though. Killen's ribs are probably my favorite.

I read that article recently as well mentioning that he was selling that SRF gold wagyu and barely breaking even on it, but when I went today there was no $35 a pound option on the menu. They had brisket at $18/lb, "lean brisket" at $21/lb for some reason and "untrimmed brisket" at $17/lb. That's the first time ive ever seen brisket separated out on a menu that way. Not sure what untrimmed could mean. Maybe extra bark on it or something? No idea. You're right though, shockingly for me the brisket was the worst thing I tried. By no means was it bad, just not up to the level of hype I've read about for Killen's. I ventured around back after I ate to watch the employees load up the smokers with brisket and I noticed a lot of different brisket boxes. Some Creekstone, some Double R Ranch, and some High River Angus which I've never heard of before. That leads me to believe that as their demand has increased they have had to use several suppliers to get as much meat as they need, which could be leading to the inconsistent moistnsss of their brisket. I also was a bit surprised to see them using what looked like oyler pits back there. They have two beautiful thousand gallon Mobergs around back in a covered area that didn't seem to be in use. That's a shame to me because I think Moberg smokers are some of the best in the business. I covet buying one myself someday.

We're going tomorrow. Hopefully we'll luck out. Don't know about banana pudding, but their carrot cake is a winner, especially when served warm

Went last spring and I'd also have to say the brisket did not impress. It was not bad. It just was not great. For brisket I've had in Texas, it definitely was in the lower 50%. The pork belly was great. :thumb:

I also was a bit surprised to see them using what looked like oyler pits back there. They have two beautiful thousand gallon Mobergs around back in a covered area that didn't seem to be in use. That's a shame to me because I think Moberg smokers are some of the best in the business. I covet buying one myself someday.

When I was there the Mobergs were in use. I don't remember the Oylers, but was not paying that much attention.

We're going tomorrow. Hopefully we'll luck out. Don't know about banana pudding, but their carrot cake is a winner, especially when served warm

Look and if they sell the $35/lb Gold brisket. It was not on the menu, but was on a sign at the door entrance. They might just do it on Saturdays like the beef ribs.

Regular 3 meat plate today, wife got pork belly burnt ends, and big hunk of carrot cake.
They were advertising wagyu brisket today. 35$ lb.
We're going to Harlem Rd BBQ next week for a comparison tasting
804819ff42c809562308be0bc8a4d602.jpg
a3f98e8c69e3b7c090be94a68620504d.jpg
bc75f269b576c96696cce8395f1ba49d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Carrot cakes looks great. Maybe I just didn't see the sign for the $35 a lb brisket. The cream corn was bomb though.

The only thing bad about yesterday's visit was the dining room temperature was set at meat locker temps. Food got cold very quickly.

Delicious looking food, except the slaw, to me. I just don't like that type of slaw. Got to have KFC style creamy slaw.

Delicious looking food, except the slaw, to me. I just don't like that type of slaw. Got to have KFC style creamy slaw.

Funny that everyone who hates slaw, likes the KFC slaw. Im in that group too. Hate slaw, but if I had to pick one it would be KFC slaw.

Is it just me or do others feel like when you've got your backyard game fairly dialed in that a lot of these high end places end up being underwhelming?

Ps. Folks like KFC slaw because of the sugar! And dicing the cabbage means you get lots of sauce!

Is it just me or do others feel like when you've got your backyard game fairly dialed in that a lot of these high end places end up being underwhelming?

Definitely not underwhelmed, but it seems like the top joints all have great brisket. They all put out some good BBQ and I know it takes a lot of work. Props to them.

I like to see what else they can come up with. Seems like they are starting mess with sandwiches and sausage.

Like John Lewis does these beef and cheddar sandwiches. Its not BBQ but damn it looks good. I'm going to have to try this.

2cwosx.png

Nice! Most people, even myself to some degree judge these BBQ joints by side quality. Maybe not in Texas

I prefer the creamy style slaw as well, but this was actually pretty good. Not as sweet as cream style, but it did have a pretty good flavor of sweet and sour, just no mayo

Back