MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-25-2013, 10:52 AM   #10591
rufio
Knows what a fatty is.

Hey guys,

Great thread.
Anyone from Ireland on here or will I be the first to build a UDS in Ireland (doubtful but who knows.

Anyway I think i've tracked down a place that can provide me an unlined brand new drum (http://d1380847.u185.host.ie/section.../1/steel-drums) A round open topped 55gl drum is what I think I need anyway (providing it's unlined etc.) I really don't fancy having to burn it out and clean it up as I don't have the required sander tools etc.
rufio is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-25-2013, 11:19 AM   #10592
Budman1
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufio View Post
Hey guys,

Great thread.
Anyone from Ireland on here or will I be the first to build a UDS in Ireland (doubtful but who knows.

Anyway I think i've tracked down a place that can provide me an unlined brand new drum (http://d1380847.u185.host.ie/section.../1/steel-drums) A round open topped 55gl drum is what I think I need anyway (providing it's unlined etc.) I really don't fancy having to burn it out and clean it up as I don't have the required sander tools etc.

Sandpaper, a wire brush and some elbow grease worked for me, not that bad.

Bob
Semper Fi
Budman1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-25-2013, 11:22 AM   #10593
desertguy76
Got Wood.

I have been working on mine and could not wait any longer to use it. It will still get re-painted with a side table and handle for moving eventually but here it is as of today. It works great and held temp for 5 hours without changing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo 2.JPG (127.4 KB, 685 views)
File Type: jpg photo 4.jpg (28.7 KB, 684 views)
File Type: jpg photo 5.jpg (30.4 KB, 684 views)
File Type: jpg photo 6.jpg (32.3 KB, 685 views)
File Type: jpg photo 7.jpg (30.0 KB, 683 views)
desertguy76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-25-2013, 11:24 AM   #10594
rufio
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertguy76 View Post
I have been working on mine and could not wait any longer to use it. It will still get re-painted with a side table and handle for moving eventually but here it is as of today. It works great and held temp for 5 hours without changing.
Looks Great,

I hadn't really considered using a chimney, do you think it adds to the performance?

Old 02-25-2013, 11:56 AM   #10595
Skidder
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertguy76 View Post
Just for thought you really don't need that heavy weight expanded metal for a charcoal basket. It really is is a just cage to hold the charcoal. I've been using the lighter stuff for years and have never had one burn out. Guess it all depends on whats available in your area. But the lighter stuff is so much easier to bend. Nice basket though.
Skidder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-25-2013, 01:29 PM   #10596
desertguy76
Got Wood.

Thanks...I bet it would have been so much easier. The only reason I used that was it was free. A friend had a half sheet laying around so I cut off 12".

Old 02-25-2013, 01:30 PM   #10597
desertguy76
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufio View Post
Looks Great,

I hadn't really considered using a chimney, do you think it adds to the performance?
I was just trying to make it look cool.. It was more of a project and conversation piece then a ugly drum..

Old 02-25-2013, 02:41 PM   #10598
jm6787
Got rid of the matchlight.

Default burn out clean

Hey guys workin on my first UDS build and just burn out the drum yesterday. The drum that I got was used to hold orange juice and had like gold teflon like liner. After the burn the paint on the outside was really easy to sand off, but the soot and crap on the inside is tough to remove. I was thinking about maybe using some comet or ajax to loosen it up, anyone ever tried that.
jm6787 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-25-2013, 03:07 PM   #10599
IrishSimon
Got Wood.

Hey man! I'm in Ireland too.....Dublin to be more precise! What are you cooking on?
I tried a UDS last summer but messed it up in a SERIOUS manner! Having difficulty with sourcing a 55 gallon for a second attempt. Let me know how you are getting on and if I can be of any help in letting you know where I went wrong get in touch.

Old 02-25-2013, 03:18 PM   #10600
rufio
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Re: Ugly Drum Smoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSimon View Post
Hey man! I'm in Ireland too.....Dublin to be more precise! What are you cooking on?
I tried a UDS last summer but messed it up in a SERIOUS manner! Having difficulty with sourcing a 55 gallon for a second attempt. Let me know how you are getting on and if I can be of any help in letting you know where I went wrong get in touch.
Hey Simon.
Im in dublin too.

At the moment im not doing any cooking as im apartment living.

Luckily we have a place in the middle of nowhere in wexford so will get the uds up and running down there for, hopefully, some good summer cooks.

Ive emailed a few commercial suppliers of steel drums but have had no responses yet. I used to work for kerry group and could probably get some food grade drums from down listowel direction....
Where did you get your first drum from?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Old 02-25-2013, 03:37 PM   #10601
IrishSimon
Got Wood.

Default Uds

Got it from a car dealership that gave it to me for free. Contained oil so had to burn it out. Relations down in Wicklow so had the space to do it! So much hassle and not even then can you be 100%. Food grade is the best way to go.

Old 02-25-2013, 05:47 PM   #10602
desertguy76
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm6787 View Post
Hey guys workin on my first UDS build and just burn out the drum yesterday. The drum that I got was used to hold orange juice and had like gold teflon like liner. After the burn the paint on the outside was really easy to sand off, but the soot and crap on the inside is tough to remove. I was thinking about maybe using some comet or ajax to loosen it up, anyone ever tried that.
Sorry that was the main reason I just went and bought a new one. I have heard a wire wheel works good on a grinder.

Old 02-26-2013, 06:56 AM   #10603
rufio
Knows what a fatty is.

http://www.cflscouting.org/LinkClick...7;3D&tabid=455

Decent tutorial on making a UDS, In-depth parts list etc.

Note: I claim no credit for this, I simply stumbled across it on the web, and thought others might find it interesting.

Old 02-26-2013, 11:58 AM   #10604
AZBBQ
Found some matches.

Default In need of help brothers

Allright right to it I just made my first UDS and can't keep a steady temp for more than an hour. Serious fire issues. My wife would like me to bbq a pork shoulder for a party on march 10th. I can't even keep this damn thing lit much less have any practice.

Drum has 4, 7/8" holes 1 inch from the bottom
Fire basket is a 12x12" expanded metal and about 10"high and offset from the bottom by about 1"
Used Kingsford competition and also some lump charcoal with Hickory chunks.

Lighting methods used
1st time - burnt it all to coals and tried that - yeah no go since I can't add
2nd time - filled up basket with charcoal and some wood chunks - lit some wood in my chimney and put the coals on top of the unburned stuff. worked better but not for long - maybe not enough fuel??

I did put a water pan in mine - and used it both times

Temp wouldn't go above 200F unless the lid was moved to the side and had a 3" gap in a crescent shape from the lid being moved over.

Put the lid on with the 2"? threaded hole and it died and smoked way too much - temp drops.

About to make this thing into a plant holder and buy something.

Give me hope please

I actually have a few ideas but any advice is much appreciated.
AZBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-26-2013, 12:05 PM   #10605
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...=pitmaster+uds

Simply go to PAGE TWO of this link and scroll to the "Burn Out" sections for years 2007, 2008 and 2009. Each link will take you right to people's burn out posts. I also suggest it for other navigations too,

Edict.
Pitmaster T is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker