What's your preferred bark builder for brisket and pork butts?

Leatherheadiowa

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
This weekend we cooked outside the box trying to build some better bark. We used some brown sugar along with Competition beef and pork from Oakridge BBQ. Things turned out well, 15/40 in pork & 12/40 in brisket but thought I would throw it out here for discussion.
Thanks!

competition brisket relly does not need bark. Just great one bit flavor and over the top moisture in conjunction with perfect tender ness. Pork needs some bark though. Its hard to get awesome bark when butts are foiled, but if you turn I sliced mm, sliced tubes, and pulled then sauce those pieces how much bark will actually get noticed. In competion I really don't worry about bark that much

competition brisket relly does not need bark. Just great one bit flavor and over the top moisture in conjunction with perfect tender ness. Pork needs some bark though. Its hard to get awesome bark when butts are foiled, but if you turn I sliced mm, sliced tubes, and pulled then sauce those pieces how much bark will actually get noticed. In competion I really don't worry about bark that much

Bark in the box is a good thing. Couldn't you cook one butt in foil, for the good bite.... and another butt without foil, for the good bark?

Bark in the box is a good thing. Couldn't you cook one butt in foil, for the good bite.... and another butt without foil, for the good bark?

One could absolutely do that. I use both butts I cook for mm and tubes so I would need a third butt and just don't have the room it. It is something to think about though

how would that work?

it's not like you can slice the bark off one butt and adhere it to another with the good bite.

not being a wiseass, i swear, just asking.

*edit*

i realized you may refer to a more pulled pork box. i get it.

BJ,
Are you defining "bark" as a hard crusty coating or a layer of surface flavor that is not necessarily hard and crusty??

The definition used affects the technique to get the desired results.

TIM

how would that work?

it's not like you can slice the bark off one butt and adhere it to another with the good bite.

not being a wiseass, i swear, just asking.

*edit*

i realized you may refer to a more pulled pork box. i get it.

Yeah, I'm thinking the foiled butt could yield a mound (or other arrangement) of pulled or chopped pork... while the unfoiled butt could yield some chunks of meat with a nice bark.

"Wow.... one of the 15 comments above... well, at least one of you needs to step away from the smoker and go get fed some."

Some guy on the bag phone just called and told me to relay that. Not my words.

Actually, he called back and said it "was not Bently.... not the original poster, but someone else" so it's more like only one of 12 comments"

I just read on the beeper, he told me to add that "its not the post of the guy who has a name that has part of the name of a movie that had Marion Morrison in it. Nor is it the guy who probably has a poster of Clement Attlee." Not sure what he means by that... I am just relaying the info...

I have to say that He just called on the bagphone again to specify its "not the sweet tooth or the guy that makes a 24 inch brisket probe capable or reacking a brisket on the other side of the Brazos."

I will stop now before it becomes obvious who needs to stick with swine.

Back