MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-16-2013, 09:56 PM   #1
scottjess
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Scottjames84
Default Recommended auto temp for UDS

I finally have a job and have some change in my pocket and am wanting to cook some more butts and brisket BUT don't want to spend all night worrying about the temps.

What auto temp do you recommend in terms of price & ease of install for the UDS?

Thanks

Old 02-16-2013, 10:13 PM   #2
huntin smoke

If you are wanting something basic and easy to use I would go with the pitmaster Ique

Old 02-16-2013, 10:15 PM   #3
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

a ball valve

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-16-2013, 11:11 PM   #4
scottjess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post
a ball valve
As much as I love my ballvalve; I would prefer something more 'set & forget'

Old 02-16-2013, 11:22 PM   #5
El Ropo
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Roger

fridge magnets, and let it rip. If it likes to run at 280, roll with it.

2016 Fuji Absolute 2.0 LE (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2013, 11:42 PM   #6
jmoney7269
Banned

DigiQ dx2 it will keep whatever temp you set it at till you run out of coals. Open lid detect is awesome!
jmoney7269 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2013, 12:44 AM   #7
yakdung
is One Chatty Farker

DigiQ DX2
yakdung is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2013, 12:51 AM   #8
Richard_
is One Chatty Farker

i've never had issues with temp on my UDS , i still get up to check it and its always been spot on , if outside temp is a big problem , wrap it with a welding blanket , that will help insulate it , welding blanket
Richard_ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2013, 01:22 AM   #9
MaximumJEFF
Full Fledged Farker

Ique 110

Old 02-17-2013, 06:00 AM   #10
Skidder
Babbling Farker

All mine are made the k.i.s.s. method and I set them at nine at night get up around five thirty or six and it's still chugging along at the temp I went to bed at.I always wonder why ppl add these temp gizmos when a correctly made UDS should run perfect all night. This has been my experiences for a couple years now. I would save my $$ for meat. I've done many overnight shoulders,butts and briskets without a hiccup. And lose no sleep. I used to get up and check but no more.
Skidder is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-17-2013, 06:27 AM   #11
Bbq Bubba
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjess View Post

What auto temp do you recommend in terms of price & ease of install for the UDS?

Thanks
Its called practice.

The UDS is as automatic as they come!
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2013, 08:47 AM   #12
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjess View Post
As much as I love my ballvalve; I would prefer something more 'set & forget'
So you have built a UDS with "issues" then.

I don't get it. What's more set it and forget it than a fridge magnet or a ball valve?

The problem is your UDS. When done properly and tweaked right they ARE set it and forget it. There are many of us that designed a UDS and had fire issues but we tweaked them out.... OR tweaked our fire management skills (which is more like how to load ONCE, what to use, and how to start).

So, you are not in the minority having a defective UDS. But if you look for air leaks, check your lid, and especially take mind of your lighting and charcoal fire management techniques you will have the same experiences most of us do.

Here is mine.... I start the coals (10-15 coals) on top of my other coals. I adjust my valves to where I usually experience 200 or 230 or 275 (depending on what I am wanting). Open the lid and plop the meat on. Quickly put the lid on and somewhere between 12-15 hours later I have to shake the drum to settle the ashes. Some with smaller baskets shake sooner then the temp goes right up.

The whole reason we build these things is for the set it and forget it concept. I NEVER need to smoke 12-15 hours but I can smoke up to 20+ with NO ADJUSTMENTS. My first time yes, it took a while to dial it in as I have TWO ball valves. But once you do your done if you remember.

Look, I have faith in you. I can think of 16 people I have seen as stupid as a brick dial their UDSs in and I have faith you can too. It just doesn't make since to spend $80 bucks making something that is perfection already but just needs a tweak here and there, only to buy 200-300 worth of apparatus to make it work like it could naturally. Not to mention, what if your blower fails.

Plus, UDS don't lend themselves to air exchange too well. IMHO. That's my opinion.

Granted, if this is the way you want to go.. there are people in here that can help with all the electronic stuff. There is nothing wrong with these people and the electronic blowers. I just think you can do it. And if you do, and you get your UDS tweaked right... jussst right, you will then realize that you are superior to those in every way.

Edict.
Pitmaster T is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-17-2013, 09:10 AM   #13
foam2
Full Fledged Farker

If you want to get a controller, i use the digiq dx2 and it works very well on my WSM. I bought the bbq guru stainless 3/4" ball valve adapter for my uds but i never use it.
With the uds I find it is more important to pay attention on how you load and light your charcoal. I have 3 - 3/4" pipe nipples on mine and basically run one wide open, one closed, and adjust temperature with the ball valve. Catch your temperatures on the way up and start closing down when you are 25-50 degrees from your target temp. I find that once I have the uds set, it chugs along within 5-10 degrees depending on how windy it is outside.
I would say try doing it manually - it won't cost you anything but a little of your time. Try to learn fire control - it is much easier than you think. If you are concerned with the what ifs in the middle of the night, buy a maverick 732 or igrill which have user programmable temp alarms and will alert you if your temps fall outside of your target range. If you find that you don't like doing it manually, then spend the money on a controller.
foam2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2013, 11:05 AM   #14
scottjess

Okay thanks for the replies guys.

I will not buy a fan instead I will persevere with manual control. I can dial it in to a reno and it stays fairly constant for a good few hours so I guess next weekend I will cook a butt over night.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2