Deer Prepping

Smoky River BBQ

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Just a quick question...although I am pretty sure what the answer will be :cry: Does anyone know of an easy or quick way to remove the silverskin from deer meat? The only way I have found is very carefully cutting it off. It doesn't want to peel very easy, i.e. spareribs, but some progress can be made that way. Just curious to see if there were any "tricks of the trade" out there. Thanks!

On the loin I leave it on. I usually bone out the meat and cut the steaks thick. Then I butterfly each steak right down to that thick tough skin. Its tough enough to hold the butterflied steaks together while grilling.

mick

Most of the rib meat on deer is silver skin. The only way to get it off good is to cut it off. Make sure you get any and all fat off too. That stuff is nasty tasting. That said you probably won't have much meat left when you are done LOL.
If it is a really big deer I usually bone the ribs out and grind it. On small deer I feed the ribs to the dogs. Not really worth fooling with to me.

I don't think there is an easy way. Slice that BS steak open put some jap in it wrap with beacon put it on the grill, when the beacon is done the meat is perfect.

Only thing I could add is it should be as cold/ close to forzen ,,,, helps alot.... but like said before there's not much on the ribs

Boil it off! :tongue:

Hmmmmm.... Now there's an idea :icon_bigsmil

Thanks, everyone. Just got the back leg off the smoker. I had injected it with apple juice, water, vegetable oil, salt, sugar and a little Dale's Seasoning. This was probably the moistest piece of deer I had ever had! I like the bacon idea. Will try it next!

Just a quick question...although I am pretty sure what the answer will be :cry: Does anyone know of an easy or quick way to remove the silverskin from deer meat? The only way I have found is very carefully cutting it off. It doesn't want to peel very easy, i.e. spareribs, but some progress can be made that way. Just curious to see if there were any "tricks of the trade" out there. Thanks!

We use a small, very flexabile fillet knife to remove the silver skin off our venison.
We loose very little meat doing it this way, just boring work but worth it come eating time.

Hmmmmm.... Now there's an idea :icon_bigsmil

Thanks, everyone. Just got the back leg off the smoker. I had injected it with apple juice, water, vegetable oil, salt, sugar and a little Dale's Seasoning. This was probably the moistest piece of deer I had ever had! I like the bacon idea. Will try it next!

Deer is great when you first take it off the smoker. Let it rest a bit and polish it off. In my experience it gets totally dried out if you have any left over and reheat it.

Deer is great when you first take it off the smoker. Let it rest a bit and polish it off. In my experience it gets totally dried out if you have any left over and reheat it.

Im thinking of apple juice or another liquid of your choice and a tight foil wrap would elimante the dried out venison during reheating.

Not enough meat on deer ribs for me to keep them.

Im thinking of apple juice or another liquid of your choice and a tight foil wrap would elimante the dried out venison during reheating.

No doubt it can be doctored up to make it palatable. My method is to chop the meat coarsely and add BBQ sauce to reheat. I don't waste the meat but no matter what you do it is not as good as when it first comes from the smoker. When I smoke a deer leg or roast I just try to figure how much to do so that there are no leftovers.

No doubt it can be doctored up to make it palatable. My method is to chop the meat coarsely and add BBQ sauce to reheat. I don't waste the meat but no matter what you do it is not as good as when it first comes from the smoker. When I smoke a deer leg or roast I just try to figure how much to do so that there are no leftovers.

Long story short, a friend of mine is an excellent archer and kills a couple monster bucks a year if lucky.

He was throwing out neck roast.
His dad was talking to me about that and I said bullchit give them to me.
I put them into the crockpot w/sliced onions and some basic spices.
Cook overnite, let cool.
Remove the bones, shred the meat and add a half bottle of KC Masterpiece, cook on low for the several hours.
My family went bonkers over the sauced venison for supper.
Leftovers went the next nite for sandwiches.

OK neck rroast is a whole different critter. Best part of the deer to smoke bar none.
I processed deer for about 35 years. Gave it up two years ago (long story) I am also a hunter and living in Georgia we are allowed to kill 12 deer a year. Needless to say we eat a lot of venison. When my father was alive he would just about fight you over a neck roast. I think the main reason the neck is so good is that it is about the only part of the deer that has no silver skin.

Wish i'd read these comments about neck roast this time last week. Good info here.

Wish i'd read these comments about neck roast this time last week. Good info here.

When we were processing deer years ago a lot of guys would bring their deer in and just want the backstraps. SOme would just want the straps and hind legs. Some would just pay us to skin and cape the buck and give us the meat. One year my father had over 30 neck roasts in his personal freezer. He was a chef by trade for over 50 years. The deer processing was a supplement to his Social Security.
Needless to say but Dad could work magic with the neck roasts. Anything else for that matter.:smile:

Back