Replacing my maverick

Crotonmark

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Hi guys
My maverick et 732 is giving me trouble. The receiver keeps losing the signal and it’s annoying. Also it makes it really hard to nap overnight with that annoying buzzer going off
The Maverick is over 5 years old.
What is the best thermometer these days?

Thanks

I love my Fireboard. It's pricey, but I can monitor up to 6 probes if need be. I also have the igrill2. Its less expensive but works well.

ThermoWorks Smoke or Fireboard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thermoworks Smoke + Gateway(if you want wifi and chart), enjoy sleeping with the Low Temp alarm. :thumb:

I went from a Maverick to the Smoke. Nice upgrade, first time you put your hands on it you can see it's a step up in quality. I do wish it had more probes though. But I don't need more probes often enough to justify the higher cost of the Fireboard. I also like that the Smoke is a stand alone unit, it doesn't rely on a smartphone app. Call me paranoid but I worry that 5yrs from an app-based company could go out of business and the app no longer available.

I'm loving my Fireboard, very robust controller/thermometer. The staff is top notch and get back to you right away if you have questions. It's very well built, and I never have issues with WiFi or Bluetooth connections. Graphics are very clean and the menus easy to maneuver.

This thread made me look at the ThermoWorks Smoke...noticed a claim of waterproof probes. That is the only issue I have had with the Maverick..only happened once as I am very care cleaning now.

I went from a Maverick to the Smoke. Nice upgrade, first time you put your hands on it you can see it's a step up in quality. I do wish it had more probes though. But I don't need more probes often enough to justify the higher cost of the Fireboard. I also like that the Smoke is a stand alone unit, it doesn't rely on a smartphone app. Call me paranoid but I worry that 5yrs from an app-based company could go out of business and the app no longer available.
I have an extra probe for my Dot. I label the plugs and plug in the one I'm interested in at the moment. Should work for the Smoke, too.

I went with the Fireboard and it really is great. Had a Tapeque and returned it. Still have the maverick but I haven't used it in a while.

I made switch from Mav to Smoke. Loved the change for the $. I thought it was great value. Range is comparable or better than Mav in my experience. Had to replace one probe on Smoke after forgetting it in BGE during high heat burn off. Easy replacement. Unless in need of more that 2 probes, you won't be disappointed.

thanks guys
how is the range compared to the Maverick?

I also have the Maverick 732 and the Smoke and my Maverick has better range when there are obstructions than the Smoke does.

With no obstructions in the way they are about the same.

Of all of the ones mentioned does anyone have range issues? That’s the killer for my maverick

I also have the Maverick 732 and the Smoke and my Maverick has better range when there are obstructions than the Smoke does.

With no obstructions in the way they are about the same.

That is exactly my problem. When I go to the back of my house it freezes and starts to beep.

hmmm. I gave away all my remote therms. I use dials or go by feel. now that I have a pellet cooker I think a remote thermometer would be good insurance against flameouts on overnight cooks

Back