Zombie Pit Returns, pt 2!!

Stick with it, can't wait to see pics of the first burn up! There is nothing quite like making good food on a cooker of your own building.

Anyone have any simple and cheap ideas for how to make the smoke stacks detachable or so they can rotate down to make this beast easier to transport?

Anyone have any simple and cheap ideas for how to make the smoke stacks detachable or so they can rotate down to make this beast easier to transport?

I’ve seen some where they had a 6” round pipe for the opening and the actual stack is 8” in diameter and just goes on top of the smaller 6” stack.

My wife's grandmother passed away a couple weeks ago, so today is the first chance I've gotten to work on the smoker.

Cut some pipes to make the exhaust stacks.

330201_zps82pwabvz.jpg

My buddy tacked them up.

330206_zpsxqg2xffm.jpg

While he was doing that, I made 3 more handles for the cooking grates and finished rounding them off.

330204_zps72tyrgke.jpg

Then I drilled the holes for the exhausts and we got them welded on.

330202_zps39k7vheh.jpg

330205_zps22yil9sq.jpg

330203_zpsdt7lwjyq.jpg

I also got the hole drilled in the bottom for the drain, but no pics because... its just a little hole and not very exciting.

Thanks for looking! Hopefully have another update next week.

Good news today- a guy I know thru work gave me steel to make the doors for free and said if I buy the powder, he'll sand blast it and powder coat it for me for free too!! All I'd have to do is borrow a trailer to get the smoker over to his shop and back.

Things are finally starting to come together!! It's going to be a great summer!!

Just be careful, powder coat is set at a lower temperature, if the pit hits 350 degrees and up the powder coat may fail and start bubbling off. This is why most use a high temp paint or ceramic coating. You may always plan on running low and slow just hate to see a killer powder coat job go bad from a grease fire.

Just be careful, powder coat is set at a lower temperature, if the pit hits 350 degrees and up the powder coat may fail and start bubbling off. This is why most use a high temp paint or ceramic coating. You may always plan on running low and slow just hate to see a killer powder coat job go bad from a grease fire.

Yea, I have a paint guy I'm going to talk to about that. Supposedly there is a high-temp powider you can use. I have to see what temp it's good for. Also, going to have to try and figure out how hot the fire box will get- might have to use a different product for it as well.

Got some more stuff done yesterday.

Welded on the handles to the cooking grates.

60603_zpstddhdfqh.jpg

60604_zpsjji8pigc.jpg

Then decided to tackle the tank flange since my welder buddy couldn't stay late to help out- it wasn't fun. Couple of burn holes, couple voids I had to re-do and a big glob of weld I had to grind down. It ain't pretty but it's done.

60601_zpsrdojmroa.jpg

60608_zpsh6wkbodg.jpg

Then I ground down the end of the rails that were sticking out. Before:

60602_zpshja3ctgm.jpg

After:

60609_zps9qnnpc4u.jpg

I even rounded off the corners and beveled ends to make it easier to get the racks in.

I started to layout the opening for the air intake and cut that out.

60607_zpsqpxmxmad.jpg

60605_zpsc588conz.jpg

Then I cut a rail for that and got it tacked up.

60606_zpshxgi8ptd.jpg

By that point I was out of time.

More coming next week. Thanks for lookin!

Man, it has been a rough few weeks. First my wife's grandmother died, then a couple weeks later my grandmother died, then a couple days later my wife's great aunt died.

Needless to say I've been a little busy.

Today I finally had time to stay after work and get a few little things done.

My buddy finished fabricating and welding the rails for the air intake door on.

0f86fb03-a8f2-4a7c-b7dc-8b47969fae6e-original.jpg

Then I cut and bent a handle for the air intake door and welded it on.

c35f900b-1ee1-4c8d-8f63-24557ea12b4c-original.jpg

0d810ab6-7cf8-448a-a2ef-feb79267c473-original.jpg

While I was doing that, my buddy was torching off the rusty old plugs from the top of the tank.

bd1c0960-16b0-45e0-b999-1c6c984226eb-original.jpg

024aa97d-8949-458a-be7d-554147bb82a9-original.jpg

Then He fixed a couple of welds on the bottom of the frame.

3ac364b3-6a70-4e21-a3a0-f07e8419330b-original.jpg

I started to tack and weld a piece of steel in the hole where the old air intake was going to be.

9577094d-e5f9-4f04-9d78-da05bde559b2-original.jpg

842a526e-4400-4ad2-b974-a42622733999-original.jpg

It warped the hell out of the front of the basket, but I think it'll be easy enough to fix.

c278b614-e6b1-47a8-8528-41f0d67dea4d-original.jpg

While I was doing that, my buddy was cutting some blanks to weld over those 5 tank flanges in the top. This will keep the smoker low enough to fit into my garage.

We also cut some 3/4" lengths on pipe to make the exhaust stack caps.

That was all we had time for. I'm thinking about sneaking in to work for a few hrs saturday morning to weld those blanks over the flanges and work on the exhaust caps. We'll see how I feel.

Thanks for looking!

Back