MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-21-2012, 04:13 PM   #1
smokehunter
On the road to being a farker

Default TURKEY on WSM ADVICE

So I'm planning to do two turkey breast on the top rack with no pan and a pretty hot cook. 350-400... anybody see a problem with not using the pan. Just trying to get a crispy skin... thinking it'll take about an hour and a half... anybody else going this route.... main concern is burnt drippings putting off bad taste. THX GUYS!

Old 11-21-2012, 04:28 PM   #2
HickoryJ
Knows what a fatty is.

im doing a whole turkey on my 18.5 for the first time. gonna use the water pan, but no water. lined with foil. i have an iq110 and will be setting the temp at 300. i wouldnt think the drippings would leave a bad taste...but i would be concerned about flare-ups. im using olive oil and some herbs on the outside. im hoping that will help with the crispy skin.

Old 11-21-2012, 04:33 PM   #3
Jason TQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Ok so while not exactly the same thing, but I do wings in the bottom grate with no pan and get the right amount of crispy I'm looking for. I don't think the wings would get crispy on the top grate.

Old 11-21-2012, 04:47 PM   #4
Texas Turtle
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HickoryJ View Post
im doing a whole turkey on my 18.5 for the first time. gonna use the water pan, but no water. lined with foil. i have an iq110 and will be setting the temp at 300. i wouldnt think the drippings would leave a bad taste...but i would be concerned about flare-ups. im using olive oil and some herbs on the outside. im hoping that will help with the crispy skin.
Exactly what I am doing, except I am injecting the bird with some Cajun Injector creole butter. I am looking for smoked turkey, not just roast turkey done outside (I have a bigger one for the oven). Considering starting out at 325 for 30 minutes or so to help crisp the skin, then turning the IQue down to either 275 or 300 and watching the IT on the remote thermo stuck in the breast. I'm trying to avoid brining. I never brine the ones in the oven and they turn out great. Plus I am basically too lazy and don't have the fridge space with everything else in the way.

Old 11-21-2012, 05:24 PM   #5
smokehunter

This is my first time brining but i did 1/2 cup salt to gallon water b/c the birds i have are 6% solution.. only going to do a 6hr brine and air dry overnight..rub one w o oil, kosher, pepper and herbs.... other one cajun....reaaly looking to do kind of a hot smoke gonna have peach wood in fire... smoke/roast mix...... my wings typically get real crispy on top rack with all vents 100% open no pan.. thx for the responses

Old 11-21-2012, 05:33 PM   #6
WineMaster
Babbling Farker

It is E-Z to have too much smoke using a WSM Go E-Z on the wood chunks. Happy T-Day

MJH From Backyard Bomber BBQ -- Junior
YS 640 Comp
22.5 Weber Kettle
Blue Thermopen

Comp Team
Wine & Swine
WineMaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-21-2012, 07:21 PM   #7
superlazy
is One Chatty Farker

foil the pan. temp 350-400
winemaster is spot on!! go easy with the smoke.
1 maybe 2 fist size chunks of apple in a full ring
superlazy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-21-2012, 07:34 PM   #8
smokehunter

Out of curiosity are you foiling the pan for heat diffusion or to prevent flare up or what?

Old 11-21-2012, 07:47 PM   #9
superlazy
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokehunter View Post
Out of curiosity are you foiling the pan for heat diffusion or to prevent flare up or what?
diffusion and clean up
superlazy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-21-2012, 08:26 PM   #10
smokehunter

You think the drippings will be toast or suitable for gravy makings?

Old 11-21-2012, 08:56 PM   #11
Baboontyme
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Your burnt drippings won't put off a bad taste. The pan is only there for diffusion. If you run that thing wide open, no pan, you're going to get temps a lot hotter than 400. I've gotten mine up high enough that the ET-732 wouldn't read temps anymore. Leave the pan in, foil it and adjust your vents from there. I'm all for hot and fast but not sure I would want to roast a bird >> 500 and you will surely get there with no pan and vents wide open. Who knows, but seems scary.
Baboontyme is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-23-2012, 09:02 PM   #12
Texas Turtle
Take a breath!

Beginner's luck, I guess. Injected with creole butter and put the 12+ pound bird on the WSM at 8:00 expecting about 4 hours cook time based on projected 275 average temp (my 18.5 likes to run at that). Set the IQUE 110 at 300 and checked the IT at 2 hours - 149 in the breast. Flipped it over (breast down) and gave it another hour. Breast read 170, thigh 165 to 155 in varying locations. Removed from smoker at 11:00. Lunch scheduled for 1:00 PM. Tented with foil and rested for 30 minutes, then foiled and coolered. When I started carving it at 12:45, the white meat oozed a little creole-colored juice. Dark meat could have been a bit more done for my taste, but the family raved.

Old 11-24-2012, 07:27 AM   #13
NYCQ
Got Wood.

I got crispy skin and I use water in the pan but I just use a little. Seems people are all or nothing with the water but I've found an in between and my poultry comes out great with crispy skin. Here is my bird from thanksgiving:

NYCQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-24-2012, 08:37 AM   #14
Freddy j
is one Smokin' Farker

Looks beauty, how'd she taste?
Freddy j is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-24-2012, 09:37 AM   #15
NYCQ
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy j View Post
Looks beauty, how'd she taste?