Georgia Spicy Mustard Sauce help...

CelticRaven

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
So last week I got to go to Southern Soul BBQ on St. Simons Island, and hadn't really been a huge fan of mustard based BBQ sauce still that day, and then when I had their Spicey GA sauce I said OMFG!!! I was hoping for someone to give me a recipe with a similar flavor profile :pray:

Try this one........It is excellent!!

From Amazingribs.com

http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/other_fun_sauces/grownup_mustard_sauce.html

Grownup Mustard Sauce Recipe

Yield. Makes about 2 cups. Click here to calculate how much you need and for tips on saucing strategies.
Preparation time. About 30 minutes.
Ingredients
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/2 cup onions, finely minced
3 tablespoons sweet red pepper, finely minced
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
1 teaspoons ground celery seed (not celery salt)
1 teaspoons finely ground black pepper
1 teaspoons hot pepper flakes for mild sauce
1 teaspoons dried thyme leaves
1/2 teaspoon whole dried rosemary leaves crushed in a mortar and pestle
1 cups prepared Dijon-style mustard
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1 cups dark brown sugar, firmly packed
2 teaspoons tomato paste
1 teaspoon powdered mustard
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon of chicken bouillon granules or 1 cube dissolved in 1 ounce of water
About the hot pepper flakes. Double the amount for medium heat, and triple it for hot.
Optional. Garnish with minced fresh sweet red bell peppers or, if you like the heat, minced red jalapeño. In the picture above the ribs are also garnished with caramelized onions.
Do this
1) Put the oil into a quart sauce pan, and warm it on a medium-low heat. Add the onion and sweet red peppers and sweat them until the onions are limp. Add the garlic and cook it for about a minute.
2) Add the dry ingredients except the sugar. Cook, stirring, for about 3 minutes in order to develop and extract their flavors.
3) Add the remaining ingredients and mix thoroughly. Bring to a low boil for 3 minutes, stirring frequently to keep the sugar from burning or sticking to the bottom. Simmer on low for another 15 minutes.

I've used this recipe several times with PP sammies:

Mustard Vinegar Sauce

1 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup Yellow mustard
1/4 cup onion finely minced
2 cloves garlic pureed
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce

Combine ingredients and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.

For a smoother sauce, blend on high for a few minutes.

Enjoy!

I love the mustard sauce from Amazing Ribs, it is so good on pulled pork.

So last week I got to go to Southern Soul BBQ on St. Simons Island, and hadn't really been a huge fan of mustard based BBQ sauce still that day, and then when I had their Spicey GA sauce I said OMFG!!! I was hoping for someone to give me a recipe with a similar flavor profile :pray:

I was checking out the Southern Soul website, and found this: http://southernsoulbbq.com/store/sauce.html

Here in Savannah (just up the road a bit from St. Simons) The popular sauces are a conglomeration of Tomato based and mustard based sauce. I can't tell from the pics if that's the case at Southern Souls or not, but reading the description makes me think that's the case.

Old Mule Company makes an outstanding mustard sauce, best I've ever had. Oldmule.com

My wife is NUTS for Southern Soul's mustard sauce. Every time we go there I'm afraid she's going to start chugging the stuff. I was able to make up a pretty good clone by mixing my rib rub with yellow mustard to form a thick paste, then adding a 50/50 mixture of cider/cider vinegar until the consistency was right. Added a little honey and some white wine to round it out, simmered for about 15 minutes and it was pretty close. I think the difference from most mustard based sauces is that theirs is a sauce flavored with mustard, as opposed to being mustard flavored with a few other things.
By the way, I usually make my rubs with roughly 50% turbinado sugar and very little if any salt. I'll usually salt the meat then apply the rub, that way I can keep a closer eye on the salt and use the rub for other things like sauces. The other spices are kinda dependent on what I'm feeling at the time, but if I recall correctly the time I made the mustard sauce there was a good bit of "earthiness" in the rub, some clove, cinnamon, nutmeg and maybe some cardamom, in addition to the usual rub ingredients.

Sweet Georgia Brown. All of their sauces are awesome. I'm fortunate that I can get it anytime I want. My local BBQ specialty store carries their products. I smoked some chicken wings with some Cluck and Squeal rub and finished with some Southern Soul Sweet Georgia Brown sauce. My best wings ever. They were perfection.

Last edited by a moderator:

Did you try their burnt end sandwich? It is the best ive had anywhere. Sauce is awesome too like you said. One of my top bbq joints

Never had that particular mustard based sauce. However, here's one I backwards engineered from The Salt Lick here in TX. It's pretty close to a clone as one can get and 1 of 2 mustard sauces I really like. The other being Roxy's which looks like someone already posted above.

Ingredients:

• 1 cup finished sweet and sour dressing (recipe below)
  • 1/3 cup prepared mustard
  • 1/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 Tbs Vizcaya brand Habanero sauce (red NOT the orange)
  • 1 tsp sea salt
  • ½ tsp black pepper (fresh cracked if possible)
  • ½ tsp cumin
  • ½ tsp paprika
  • ½ tsp onion powder
  • ½ tsp garlic powder
  • ½ tsp Chinese 5 spice
  • 1 Tbs Honey
  • 1 Tbs brown sugar

Place sweet and sour dressing, mustard, Worcestershire, and all spices (from salt to Chinese 5 spice) in pan and simmer over medium-low heat for 10 minutes.

Take off of heat and add 1 Tbs of honey, 1 Tbs brown sugar, and 1 Tbs Habanero sauce. *Stir until well incorporated.

Cool to room temperature then store in a squeeze bottle or any other container in the fridge. *

Bring to room temperature before use.

Sweet and sour dressing

• ½ cup apple cider vinegar
  • ½ cup brown sugar
  • 6 oz Dole 100% pineapple juice
  • ¼ tsp ginger
  • ¼ tsp garlic
  • 1 Tbs cornstarch
  • 1 Tbs water
  • ¼ cup oil

Place all ingredients, except cornstarch and water, into a pan over medium heat.

Allow mixture to simmer about 10 minutes.

While this simmers mix cornstarch and water in a small bowl.

Add this to the sweet and sour mixture and bring to a boil.

Remove from heat and allow to come to room temp. *Put in sauce in blender and while running drizzle oil until dressing thickens.

If you're up for a read on how I made this take a gander: *Quest for a secret BBQ sauce

Back