Building Cooking Grates?

Pa_BBQ

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I did a search and had no luck so going to ask.

Seems that expanded metal and square tubing is the most popular cooking grates out there, so guessing this is what I will build.
24"X24" grates

what size tubing? 1 or 3/4 inch?
What size expanded metal, have no clue how its sized and what I would need?

We used 3/4" sq tube with 3/4" #16 flattened expanded metal for my pit and it worked great.

I just built two grates for my stick burner last weekend. I actually used 3/4" angle for mine. they were 28"x30" square and I used expanded metal. I mitered the corners of the angle and welded them togther. I cut the corners with my miter saw and a cheap metal blade. I tack welded the expanded metal underneath and turned it over and you can't see the welds. Looks great and was pretty simple, I am not the best welder either. I will try to get you a few pics. I bought 30' of angle and one sheet of expanded metal and spent about 75 bucks. The expanded was 48 dollars, but I can't remember the exact size. It came in a 4X8 sheet. Good luck!

I second the vote for angle iron in stead of tubing. Regardless of what other people use, I would recommend as large wholes expanded medal as you can get, and get raised. Stainless is going to cost you a ton more, but I would consider it.

dmp

I'm in the middle of puting my new cabinet smoker together and shelves are the final thing I need... I had planned on using 1/2" flattened expanded mild steel with 3/4 - 1/8th" angle... anyone had problems with flattened? Anyone noticed pros/cons of flattened or raised?

I plan on doing jerky too so that's why I wanted the smaller 1/2" expanded...

I would use angle iron, also use for supports and small piece so rack doesn't tip when pulled out.

Anyone noticed pros/cons of flattened or raised?

If you don't get the flatten the raised in kind of sharp and uneven. It will cut into the meat as it cooks and then the meat with be a lot harder to get off the surface cleanly. Raised is almost impossible to use for a grilling surface also. Can't easily get a spatula between it and the meat.

If you don't get the flatten the raised in kind of sharp and uneven. It will cut into the meat as it cooks and then the meat with be a lot harder to get off the surface cleanly. Raised is almost impossible to use for a grilling surface also. Can't easily get a spatula between it and the meat.

Kinda what I was thinkin too... Thanks for the confirmation!

Back