Cure for buckboard bacon without tenderquick

WabbitSwayer

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Can't find morton's tenderquick in my local stores. I do have curing salt (sodium nitrite). I have found a recipe for a "brine" cure using this(1/3C molasses, 1/3C salt, 1 t cajun spice, sodium nitrite in proper amount for weight, in 1 gallon water), but no dry cure recipes (yes I have searched here extensively-results have given recipes with either hi-mountain cure or tenderquick). Anybody have a recipe for dry-curing bb bacon using sodium nitrite? Could I just use the above recipe without the water and substituting brown sugar for molasses? Thanks.

Can't find morton's tenderquick in my local stores. I do have curing salt (sodium nitrite). I have found a recipe for a "brine" cure using this(1/3C molasses, 1/3C salt, 1 t cajun spice, sodium nitrite in proper amount for weight, in 1 gallon water), but no dry cure recipes (yes I have searched here extensively-results have given recipes with either hi-mountain cure or tenderquick). Anybody have a recipe for dry-curing bb bacon using sodium nitrite? Could I just use the above recipe without the water and substituting brown sugar for molasses? Thanks.

Buy it on the interwebs.

Hi Mountain can be ordered on line...easy deal...I am surprised you cannot find Tenderquick made by Mortons Salt. I would think either one could be ordered. Or, use a recipe you have. They all work great. Do something and let us know how it turns out.

I use tenderquick for bacon...but... As long as you have the sodium nitrite amount per weight correct for your meat.. you can use different spices for flavor.

When I dry cure I mix the cure with what ever seasonings I'm adding, rub it all over the meat, then shake the meat off to remove any excess cure before wrapping.

Here is a link to some bacon.... http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53606

also some of the dry cures from the same thread.... http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=825101&postcount=49

Another option would be to use the brine cure recipe you have and inject along with soaking.

Be careful with sugars of any kind, too much sugar will burn when you fry your bacon.
Good luck to you! :)

I may have asked this question before, but can you make bacon WITHOUT Sodium Nitrate? This and MSG causes my wife to have migraines...
hey Jeannie, I'm not too far away from Meat, do I get a hug too? Just kidding!

I may have asked this question before, but can you make bacon WITHOUT Sodium Nitrate? This and MSG causes my wife to have migraines...
hey Jeannie, I'm not too far away from Meat, do I get a hug too? Just kidding!

without sodium NITRATE? yes! you can and must use sodium NITRITE though! Two different animals. does wife get headaches eating store bought bacon? just curious.

Just in case what you were asking was what you can do tonight this link may help you out. You can also cure to certain extent with sodium bacarbonate. If you were just asking about using Curing Salt in stead of TQ for a dry cure, I would mix up the receipe reverenced below in a food pro and spread it out. Rinse it off when done. It won't be perfectly distributed, but the cure draws out water to form a slurry brine anyway I think. The Curing Salt I believe is diluted enough. If some one thinks this is a health hazard, speak up.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=70823

dmp

Thanks to all who posted. I just went with the brine recipe. I'll let it sit in the refrigerator for about 10 days and let you know how it turns out. Now I am armed with a recipe for TQ and for a backup I can run up to butler. Seeing I have about a pound of curing salt on hand, I doubt that will be necessary. I am of the type that would rather make it for the sake of making it than buying, especially if I am going to go through all the trouble of curing then smoking. Sure I could buy the high mountain, but I like to make what I can, especially if I have the ingredients on hand.

Hi There,

PLease follow my thread on the Bacon I just did. No Sodium Nitrate. THe issues, as far as I have been advised are that ... if you use a dry cure without the Sodium Nitrate you will not get the colour that you might be expecting and that you must never eat it raw.

You must smoke it to over 152F, and 165 is a good idea to avoid potential botulism. IF you follow those rules in general, you can make bacon till the cows come home.

MInd you... I am still learning in a country where I am a trendsetter...please get more advice from experts...

Cheers!

Bill

without sodium NITRATE? yes! you can and must use sodium NITRITE though! Two different animals. does wife get headaches eating store bought bacon? just curious.

TYPO!! its Nitrite...yes any processed meats can cause migraines for her...cold cuts, sausages, etc...she can eat the "AMY's" brand from costco... "natural" no msg or sodium nitrite...

Back