bread

jpw23

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I did a bit of searching on the site and came up empty......was looking for info on baking bread in the smoker......like temps, time, maybe a recipe or two. Any help would be appreciated!!!

jpw23 said:
I did a bit of searching on the site and came up empty......was looking for info on baking bread in the smoker......like temps, time, maybe a recipe or two. Any help would be appreciated!!!

PM Qegg or Thirdeye. Them big green egg boys are bread cookers too. KcQuer is a bread baker, but I think he does it in the house. The names I used are how I remember them. Probably not correct.

I was gonna say search for bread and KCQuer. I know he's had me salivating over some delicious looking bread before. But it may not have been in a smoker.

Good topic, as I've got an interest in doing artisanal breads... May even talk to someone eventually that knows how to make a charcoal oven... though I may do that with gas instead... If only I could think of someone that could do that... hmmmm... anyway, that will be next year or later, after I get the bread thing under control in the oven.

.... would be useful to know the highest, continuous temps (20 to 45 minutes) your cooker can maintain safely and comfortably. Then some bread formula(s) can possibly be matched up. My Country French and Sourdough recipe/formula require cooking temps very close to 450*F. When that falls very far, the result is not so good. Some flour/water ratios can possibly be adjusted to compensate.

All that said, I saw some pics of pretty darn good looking bread done on a Weber kettle.

.... would be useful to know the highest, continuous temps (20 to 45 minutes) your cooker can maintain safely and comfortably. Then some bread formula(s) can possibly be matched up. My Country French and Sourdough recipe/formula require cooking temps very close to 450*F. When that falls very far, the result is not so good. Some

Tom has hit the nail right on the head. You'll need a bare minimum of 425 for 25 minutes to cook any kind of decent bread.

If you're a complete novice to bread making, I'd start with a recipe that uses only flour, yeast, water and salt.
Find some bread flour, the differece in end product is amazing.

If you have the patience for it, recipes that have 24 hour refrigerated rises (or 2 day, or even 3 day) are sooooo worth the wait.

kcquer said:
Tom has hit the nail right on the head. You'll need a bare minimum of 425 for 25 minutes to cook any kind of decent bread.

If you're a complete novice to bread making, I'd start with a recipe that uses only flour, yeast, water and salt.
Find some bread flour, the differece in end product is amazing.

If you have the patience for it, recipes that have 24 hour refrigerated rises (or 2 day, or even 3 day) are sooooo worth the wait.

I guess my smoker is out of the game then......it settles in at 240 and stays there, don't know how to get any more out of it!!

Back