MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk > BBQ Brethren Throwdowns

Notices

BBQ Brethren Throwdowns Join us in the backyard for a fun bi-weekly photo contest and show off your BBQ creations! New categories are posted every other week, plus a special monthly category. Winners earn bragging rights, a Throwdown Certificate, prizes, and the chance to choose the next category. Some of our most talked about cooking techniques and recipes were given birth in the Throwdowns!

Old 05-10-2013, 01:07 PM   #31
CharredApron
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by deguerre View Post
Too funny I just saw that one and couldn't figure out how to keep it fresh until my entry

Old 05-10-2013, 01:08 PM   #32
colonel00
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I used to enter all the time until some idiot thought it would be a good idea to rip the siding off of his house and repair and paint it
[B][COLOR=red]WWWWFBBQADD[/COLOR][/B]
[B]0 out of 1 members found this post helpful[/B] :thumb:

“I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
colonel00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 05-10-2013, 01:12 PM   #33
fingerlickin'
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I love the throwdowns, I just haven't had the free time to cook something special lately. Birthday parties on weekend and things like that. Life is always getting in the way of the fun. I'll be back though, more than likely for burger month or burger week or whatever it is.

I'm not sure I'm gonna be able to top that creole burger I made last year though, I can still taste that thing.

Damn...now I farking starving and it's all your fault Jed, you TD whore!!!

"I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - [I]Tommy Callahan III[/I][/COLOR][/COLOR]
[B][SIZE=2][COLOR=DarkGreen][SIZE=3][SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/SIZE] [SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]Backwoods Ext. Party,[/COLOR][/SIZE][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][COLOR=DarkGreen] [COLOR=Black]Vision Kamado,[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][B][COLOR=DarkGreen][COLOR=DarkGreen][B][COLOR=Black] 22" WSM[/COLOR][/B],[/COLOR] 22.5 Weber OTS, [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=DarkGreen][B]Mini WSM, [/B][COLOR=Red][B] UDS "No.8"[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]

[COLOR=Teal] [COLOR=Black][B][COLOR=DarkSlateGray]Napkin Killers BBQ[/COLOR]
[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]
fingerlickin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 01:12 PM   #34
CharredApron
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel00 View Post
I used to enter all the time until some idiot thought it would be a good idea to rip the siding off of his house and repair and paint it
Heard! Not gettin much house work done around here. I hope that idiot doesn't show up around here!
Old 05-10-2013, 01:37 PM   #35
CharredApron
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by fingerlickin' View Post
I love the throwdowns, I just haven't had the free time to cook something special lately. Birthday parties on weekend and things like that. Life is always getting in the way of the fun. I'll be back though, more than likely for burger month or burger week or whatever it is.

I'm not sure I'm gonna be able to top that creole burger I made last year though, I can still taste that thing.

Damn...now I farking starving and it's all your fault Jed, you TD whore!!!
Indeed I am truly a TDW! absolutely love the new title!
Now it's time to get er done Jason
Old 05-10-2013, 03:25 PM   #36
K-JUN
is one Smokin' Farker

Rumor is this is what Gore is planning for the Burger Throwdown.

Brady

Cajun Grill by Percy Guidry; 22.5" WSM; GMG Daniel Boone; Crown Verity Gaser
K-JUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 03:53 PM   #37
CharredApron
Babbling Farker

Wouldn't surprise me!
Old 05-10-2013, 04:40 PM   #38
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

I think I decided to take a breather from TD's when a Thai entry won the Indian one.

I need more photography oomph though. I can take reasonably good outside pics with my smartphone, but the lighting in my kitchen sucks and doesn't make my plated shots look any better. TD winners/hi vote-getters usually have amazing/stunning plated shots, so this may be the fuel for getting that DSLR I've wanted for a while.

Having said that, I do enjoy cooking for the TD's, and always have a good time. My wife doesn't think there is much point in the TD's given the emphasis on presentation, but I somewhat disagree.

BTW, I think moving this thread to the TD section defeats the purpose of the thread. If its in the TD section, people involved with TD's are most likely to see it and read it vs. folks in QTalk (the target audience).
[FONT=Arial Narrow][B]EZ wood handled 3 wheeler | OTS | OTS mod to OTG | [COLOR=red]Ladybug[/COLOR] SS Performer | UglyDrumTandoor | UDS v1 | midi UDS with [COLOR=red]red[/COLOR] [COLOR=black]nipples[/COLOR] | SJG smoker mod | Simpsons SJS | [COLOR=black]Simpsons[/COLOR] OTG | WGA charcoal | SJP | Stacked brick WFO | Lodge Logic Sportsman's Grill cast iron hibachi/sigri | [COLOR=green]LBGE | sbge | [SIZE="1"]mini bge[/SIZE] [/COLOR] [/B][/FONT]
caliking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 04:56 PM   #39
Teamfour
is Blowin Smoke!

We still have TDs? I guess I should check that sub-forum more often.

Smokin-n-Style BBQ Team - Pitmaster
Lagniappe Chili Team - Head Cook
KCBS CBJ
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 05:00 PM   #40
rocketmanray
Full Fledged Farker

.... don't know how, and I"m not a good photographer...

RMR
rocketmanray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 05:50 PM   #41
Moose
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliking View Post

BTW, I think moving this thread to the TD section defeats the purpose of the thread. If its in the TD section, people involved with TD's are most likely to see it and read it vs. folks in QTalk (the target audience).
Caliking, This will answer your question as to why this thread got moved from Qtalk to the TD forum:

www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=160610
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:39 AM   #42
Kathy's Smokin'
Babbling Farker

Some of you won't remember me.... I'm Kathy and I entered TDs religiously until about April this year or so. Thought I could make it back for May but no. It's a time thing. When I first started entering TDs last June I was just learning how to smoke and over a few months I made the most startling progress. I surprised myself. I took awful photos and they got better, and better, then I got a new camera..... surprised myself again! If you want to be a better cook or learn to use your camera -- that's a good enough reason to enter weekly or as often as you can. Never mind the theme, don't let special rules stand in your way, nobody else does. If you enter to learn how to cook better or use your camera better (or both like me), the voting is just the frosting.... or lack thereof. I'm coming back in June, look out you Noobes!

Am I the only one that spends more than an hour in snippets taking photos, another hour weeding through and transferring pics to photobucket and another hour and a half posting a cook thread? Add the prep and cook time and posting a TD entry takes up the lion's share of one day. It's the chatty Kathy thing, isn't it?
[URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"][I][B]Inspiration, boisterous merriment and good food are what Brethren Throwdowns are about![/B][/I][/URL]

[B][I][COLOR="DarkSlateGray"]Walk in beauty, Dan Chambers.[/COLOR][/I][/B]
[B][COLOR="DarkRed"]I am a success in life because I am loved.[/COLOR][/B]
[COLOR="Lime"][I][B]"^^^ the fark is what u eats the frog wit not? Ban Ban"[/B][/I] [I][B]Southernsmoker[/B][/I][/COLOR]
Kathy's Smokin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Old 05-16-2013, 09:42 AM   #43
Kathy's Smokin'
Babbling Farker

Forgot to say that making the themes work for what I want to cook is half the fun.....
[URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"][I][B]Inspiration, boisterous merriment and good food are what Brethren Throwdowns are about![/B][/I][/URL]

[B][I][COLOR="DarkSlateGray"]Walk in beauty, Dan Chambers.[/COLOR][/I][/B]
[B][COLOR="DarkRed"]I am a success in life because I am loved.[/COLOR][/B]
[COLOR="Lime"][I][B]"^^^ the fark is what u eats the frog wit not? Ban Ban"[/B][/I] [I][B]Southernsmoker[/B][/I][/COLOR]
Kathy's Smokin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:53 AM   #44
CharredApron
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy's Smokin' View Post
Some of you won't remember me.... I'm Kathy and I entered TDs religiously until about April this year or so. Thought I could make it back for May but no. It's a time thing. When I first started entering TDs last June I was just learning how to smoke and over a few months I made the most startling progress. I surprised myself. I took awful photos and they got better, and better, then I got a new camera..... surprised myself again! If you want to be a better cook or learn to use your camera -- that's a good enough reason to enter weekly or as often as you can. Never mind the theme, don't let special rules stand in your way, nobody else does. If you enter to learn how to cook better or use your camera better (or both like me), the voting is just the frosting.... or lack thereof. I'm coming back in June, look out you Noobes!

Am I the only one that spends more than an hour in snippets taking photos, another hour weeding through and transferring pics to photobucket and another hour and a half posting a cook thread? Add the prep and cook time and posting a TD entry takes up the lion's share of one day. It's the chatty Kathy thing, isn't it?
Your not alone Sister! It's an all day event for me between shopping, cooking, clean-up and photobucket, it's midnight or later when I am drunk enough to sleep, I am sorry I meant ready to sleep.
Old 05-16-2013, 10:17 AM   #45
K-JUN
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wampus View Post
The voting in the TD's is an odd dynamic. The only way to win seems to be in the plating or photography. Not always, but obviously these two things make the quickest and most logical impact on an entry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliking View Post
TD winners/hi vote-getters usually have amazing/stunning plated shots, My wife doesn't think there is much point in the TD's given the emphasis on presentation, but I somewhat disagree.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy's Smokin' View Post
Am I the only one that spends more than an hour in snippets taking photos, another hour weeding through and transferring pics to photobucket and another hour and a half posting a cook thread? Add the prep and cook time and posting a TD entry takes up the lion's share of one day.
I have been thinking about this lately. I have gone through a lot of old Throwdown Threads. I personally think there seems to be to much emphasis on the "money shots". It seems to me that the complexity or difficulty of the preparation doesn't influence voters as much as the picture. Like Kathy mentioned it can be an all day affair putting a TD entry together. I have only entered three and they were lots of fun. But my long term participation is doubtful given the facts I have laid out here.

Brady

Cajun Grill by Percy Guidry; 22.5" WSM; GMG Daniel Boone; Crown Verity Gaser
K-JUN is offline   Reply With Quote