Contest Announcment 2nd Annual Hawthorne BBQ Contest, 09/27/2014

RevChrisIVXX

Reaction score
Hello.

My name is Chris, and I am the organizer for the Hawthorne BBQ Contest.

Last year was our first year, and was a success.

We had 6 teams compete, including BBQ Mafia (for 1st Place) & Big Blue BBQ Crew (for 2nd place), and a few corporate sponsors (Camp Chef, Ramsey Outdoors) that donated prizes & fielded teams.

This year it is on Saturday September 27th 2014, again as part of the Hawthorne Day festivities taking place on the grounds of the Hawthorne Municipal Pool (Wagaraw Road & May Street).

I formally invite you all to participate by fielding a team. This is a great opportunity to start, or continue, or settle a friendly rivalry.

A little about the contest:

- $100 to enter. If you have no food service/handling experience, we will provide a free basics class for health & safety. We are limiting participation to 20 teams .

- Teams can cook pork (spare or baby back) ribs, and/or chicken. Prizes will be awarded for 1st, 2nd, & 3rd place in both.

- It is not an ‘official KCBS sanctioned’ event, but we are following the spirit of the KCBS rules. No official judges or points – just a local, ‘for fun & prizes’ contest. The goal is to continue growing until we are ready for KCBS (by 2018)

- The food will not be for vending, solely for submission to the judges. You can apply to vend, but it would be separate from the contest.

- Food must be cooked on-site. It can be rubbed or marinated or otherwise safely prepared, but cannot be pre-cooked (fully or partially).

- the judges will be local dignitaries and not (necessarily) experienced BBQ judges. Last year, it was the Mayor, Police Chief, Fire Chief, DPW Head, and 2 councilmen. We do educate the judges about 'good contest BBQ'; just be aware these are not KCBS judges.

Please call me – 201-960-3535 – or email - hawthornebbqcontest@gmail.com – with any questions or to get an application.

We are also looking for corporate sponsors – prize donations, t-shirt printing, advertising/marketing.

I am very open to suggestions & feedback. Please help me make this a success.

I am very new at posting to forums, so please forgive any foibles.

What town

Hawthorne,Bergen County, New Jersey

Back