MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 03-24-2011, 01:42 PM   #1
worthsmokin
Full Fledged Farker

Default Holding Beef

I started doing chopped chuck roll for roadside vending and events. I am having trouble holding it for more than an hour in my steam table without it drying out, but at the same time sheen of grease and tasting "gamey". I have a Duke 4 well and started using half pans with a water pan under, thinking this would help. It seems to keep a bit longer, then just turns bad pretty quick after an hour. I take it to 165 then hold around 140. I keep my replacement beef in my holding cabinet and it comes out perfect. I have no trouble with pork.

What am I doing wrong? Is this just the way beef is? Any tips or tricks? I can't keep throwing the bad stuff out losing money!!!

Thanks,
Tyler

[SIZE=1][COLOR=red]Worth Smokin' BBQ[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][COLOR=darkgreen]26' KZ Toyhauler w/McPike 150 STOKER powered[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][COLOR=red]Red Therma-Pen[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[URL="http://www.facebook.com/worthsmokinbbq"][COLOR=#800080]www.facebook.com/worthsmokinbbq[/COLOR][/URL]
worthsmokin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-26-2011, 06:04 PM   #2
worthsmokin
Full Fledged Farker

Any help?

[SIZE=1][COLOR=darkgreen]26' KZ Toyhauler w/McPike 150 STOKER powered[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[URL="http://www.facebook.com/worthsmokinbbq"][COLOR=#800080]www.facebook.com/worthsmokinbbq[/COLOR][/URL]
Old 03-26-2011, 09:30 PM   #3
jbrink01
is Blowin Smoke!

Cook that chuck roll till it falls apart as it's FULL of collagen and connective tissue (sheen of grease). Pull it with bear paws and keep it warm in a solution of beef broth, rub and sauce (mostly broth). It works, Trust me.
[CENTER][B][I][B]KCBS #13207[/B][/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]2013 Insane Can Posse [/I][I]Tour [/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][I]Sponsored By: [/I][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Gateway BBQ Store[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Blues Hog BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Plowboys BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
jbrink01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 03-26-2011, 10:08 PM   #4
Bbq Bubba
somebody shut me the fark up.

Some (most) meats don't do well in steam tables. I find pork to go faster than beef usually. What are you using for a holding cabinet?
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 03-27-2011, 02:31 PM   #5
worthsmokin
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrink01 View Post
keep it warm in a solution of beef broth, rub and sauce (mostly broth). It works, Trust me.
I will give it a try.

Old 03-27-2011, 02:34 PM   #6
worthsmokin
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbq Bubba View Post
Some (most) meats don't do well in steam tables. I find pork to go faster than beef usually. What are you using for a holding cabinet?
Well I am just the opposite, seems like I have better luck with pork. Maybe it's because it goes alot faster than the beef so it doesn't sit. I feel you have to have beef on the menu but I sell way more pork.

This is the cabinet I have http://www.winholt.com/ProductDetail.asp?productID=2567

Old 03-27-2011, 04:04 PM   #7
jbrink01
is Blowin Smoke!

I never try to hold anything that is less than well done. It's impossible for me to get it right. I serve rare pieces, but only as ready.
Old 03-27-2011, 05:43 PM   #8
worthsmokin
Full Fledged Farker

I also cook everything to done. I use the cabinet as part of my rotation.

When first starting out in the morning, (roadside vending) I will put beef and pork in the steam table about 1 hour before opening. It takes about that long meat to get to 165 with the water pan.

The heating cabinet is set at 170 and I put meat in from the fridge just before opening. It usually never gets to 165 as it warms at a slower pace. I just don't have to warm it from 38 to 165 on the steam table. It usually is around 120 when I need to use stock from the cabinet and only takes minutes for it to reach 165 since the water pan is already hot at this point.

Old 03-27-2011, 11:13 PM   #9
jbrink01
is Blowin Smoke!

I don't think 165 is hot enough for a chuck roll. I think if you render the grease out more your oilslick will go away. Go to 200 IMHO.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:37 AM   #10
worthsmokin
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrink01 View Post
I don't think 165 is hot enough for a chuck roll. I think if you render the grease out more your oilslick will go away. Go to 200 IMHO.
I do take the chuck roll to around 210 initially and it falls apart. (I cook hot and fast) I setup a couple days a week so I cook beef and pork for that week the day before my first vending, then refrigerate it in 4 lb increments. I do use some of the drippings to help keep it moist, that is probably where the the grease is coming from. I will definitely try the broth route. I cook my ribs fresh every morning.