MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-13-2018, 05:41 PM   #46
BKING!
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Brent

Honestly the only thing keeping me from making a pellet smoker my main home/competition smoker once I do start competing is the need for external power and the maintenance issue. Over time the maintenance issues will decline to a point where it’s negligible. For power I wish a company would make a long lasting chargeable battery that could go for days without having to plug anything in. I don’t think that would be hard since these don’t require much power to run anyway. Otherwise the consistency in product produced is second to none and I’ll say it gain... recipes depend on that. That and they aren’t fun to operate.

Old 04-13-2018, 05:48 PM   #47
Rib Rub
Take a breath!

Name/Nickname : Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo-Dave View Post
I was loading a bag of pellets in my pellet cooker that was already hot, all I heard was the pellets going into the hopper, suddenly I felt something hitting my feet, I had touched the corner of the bag to the hot grill, and a big hole opened up spilling the pellets out which I did not notice because of the sound from the pellets I was putting in the hopper. Like I said sometimes you just have to laugh at yourself, although I admit there were a few swear words mixed in under my breath.
Dave
You outta look into those Kingsford buckets. They are tall and slender and have a lid. I have not got one yet, but seen them at HD last weekend, also seen them on a video for storing pellets. I am going to get a few of them soon. Be nice to label up pellets and store them in a good solid container, not to mention they are the perfect size to drop the pellets into from the pellet dump, (Grills that apply)

Kingsford Kaddy
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...waAv-PEALw_wcB

Anyway, getting ready to drop a few tasty burgers on the pellet. Got it out there getting it up to temp. Just spent an hour cleaning it. Thing was a mess. Found a new use for the shop vac!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fullsizeoutput_a1d.jpg (72.9 KB, 959 views)

Last edited by Rib Rub; 04-13-2018 at 05:55 PM..
Rib Rub is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 04-13-2018, 06:58 PM   #48
Rib Rub
Take a breath!

My grill does not have the option of direct cooking, but mine has a sear box for reverse searing, but as I said in another post, I have yet to use it. The grill can get up in the range of 500 degrees, so burgers sizzle! I have no need. Just pulled my burgers and dogs and they turned out great as usual.

Just adding this for anybody that has questions if a pellet grill can grill!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fullsizeoutput_a1e.jpg (88.5 KB, 965 views)

Last edited by Rib Rub; 04-13-2018 at 07:06 PM..
Rib Rub is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2018, 12:26 PM   #49
Rib Rub
Take a breath!

Thinking about Chicken Bombs tonight! Scratching my head what to make. I gotta say these are one of my favorites now! Also thinking about French Dip sandwiches. Might wait and do that on the PBC.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fullsizeoutput_a1f.jpg (63.6 KB, 932 views)

Old 04-14-2018, 10:12 PM   #50
tom b
somebody shut me the fark up.

did some Pizza

Old 04-15-2018, 06:53 AM   #51
Pedro7
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKING! View Post
Honestly the only thing keeping me from making a pellet smoker my main home/competition smoker once I do start competing is the need for external power and the maintenance issue. Over time the maintenance issues will decline to a point where it’s negligible. For power I wish a company would make a long lasting chargeable battery that could go for days without having to plug anything in. I don’t think that would be hard since these don’t require much power to run anyway. Otherwise the consistency in product produced is second to none and I’ll say it gain... recipes depend on that. That and they aren’t fun to operate.
A lot of competitions have power onsite. We also have a Wen 2000w generator we bring that powers our GMG when there is no power. Small generators are almost a necessity at competitions anyway, so >$500 for the Wen was perfect for us. I also find myself using it at home quite a bit too, especially this winter when we had all those snow storms and lost power.

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-15-2018, 03:04 PM   #52
Rib Rub
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom b View Post
did some Pizza
Wow, that looks fantastic! Pizza is the one thing I have not done on any of my cookers yet. Did you make the crust?

Weather went from 80 to 60 and rain, so I am hanging up the grills this weekend and we are doing Tuscan Chicken tonight on the stove! One of our favorite dishes.

Old 04-15-2018, 04:31 PM   #53
BigDon
Knows what a fatty is.

Are you guys removing your pellets after you cook? I am just east of Raleigh NC and was wondering if I should worry about the humidity swelling up pellets. As of now I have the PG in the garage but wanted to move her to the back with the rest of the fleet
It will be covered when not in use.

Old 04-15-2018, 04:59 PM   #54
tom b

Rib Rub, this was purchased dough from Barons, my wife used to make it but we have found this on an another suite us just fine.

Old 04-15-2018, 05:02 PM   #55
tom b

I have never removed pellets but humidity is not an issue here, if is not to much a hassle you may want to play it safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDon View Post
Are you guys removing your pellets after you cook? I am just east of Raleigh NC and was wondering if I should worry about the humidity swelling up pellets. As of now I have the PG in the garage but wanted to move her to the back with the rest of the fleet

Old 04-15-2018, 05:55 PM   #56
gtsum
Babbling Farker

I’m in Richmond, so same weather as you. I have never removed pellets and not had an issue over the last 1000lbs or so. That being said, I do use the cooker 3-5 times per week, so they don’t sit in the hopper very long

Memphis Elite
Yoder YS640 - sold
Primo Oval XL - sold
Stumps Gravity Feed - sold
Pitts & Spitts Stickburner - sold

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

gtsum is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-15-2018, 06:13 PM   #57
BigDon
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsum View Post
I’m in Richmond, so same weather as you. I have never removed pellets and not had an issue over the last 1000lbs or so. That being said, I do use the cooker 3-5 times per week, so they don’t sit in the hopper very long

Memphis Elite
Yoder YS640 - sold
Primo Oval XL - sold
Stumps Gravity Feed - sold
Pitts & Spitts Stickburner - sold

Thanks, I am going to try it and see. Wish we were a little a little closer. I am looking someone to split bulk loads with.

Old 04-15-2018, 06:22 PM   #58
Rib Rub
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDon View Post
Would not hurt to do that. After my grill caught on fire the company said that the pellets can get moisture and cause issues. However that was not the issue. I would keep pellets in a cool dry place like the garage. If it is easy enough to dump them, then by all means I would do it. Actually smart to do that as it will keep the grill running at the proper temps. I mean bad pellets will cause temp swings. All of us living on the East Coast know good and well about Humidity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom b View Post
Rib Rub, this was purchased dough from Barons, my wife used to make it but we have found this on an another suite us just fine.
That is great looks like it came from a Pizza joint. All that matters is if it is good. I don’t make crust anymore. I use Bobilis or the pillsbury in the tube. I actually like the Pillsbury, but it is hard to work with. I noticed last week there is a company that has some in the frozen section at my grocery. I am going to grab them this week and try them out. Stay tuned LOL

Old 04-15-2018, 06:52 PM   #59
dalelovelace
Got Wood.

Name/Nickname : Dale

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamuzzyhunter View Post
I have been looking at the Pit Boss Austin XL. Anyone here have one or know anything about it?
I have the Pit Boss Austin and love it. I have a Humphrey's Down East Beast I used for long cooks like Pork Butts and Brisket, but use the pellet grill for steaks, chicken, ribs etc. I'll actually be using the Pit Boss for competition chicken next weekend at Rock n Ribs!
dalelovelace is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-15-2018, 07:32 PM   #60
Richard_
is One Chatty Farker

I've never removed pellets , I live in the PNW , and we get plenty of rain , I keep mine sheltered from the rain
Weber 18.5 R.I.P.
Smokey Joe
Treager 070
Traeger 075
UDS
Brinkmann Cimarron
Pink Thermapen
Richard_ is offline   Reply With Quote