MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-14-2018, 03:13 PM   #1
WeberWho
is one Smokin' Farker

Default I Have A Chance To Buy Custom Shirley Fab Wheels - Questions

I've been in talks with forum member SudsandSwine about purchasing his custom wheels off his Shirley Fabrication Patio smoker that he just recently turned into a trailer. Just wanted to see if anyone has changed wheels on their Shirley smoker?

I guess my first question would be if this would be even possible to switch over to Shirley Fabrication custom wheels with a rotated firebox?

My second question would be is changing out the hubs. My current hub has 5 lugs. I'd need to change it to a 4 lug hub for these style wheels. Any recommendations for hubs or anything I need to look for? Or even possible to switch out hubs?

Just wanted to see if anyone has changed out wheels on theirs before. Thanks for the help!

My current wheels:

SudsandSwine wheels:
WeberWho is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-14-2018, 05:21 PM   #2
luv2smoke
Take a breath!

If I'm seeing the picture correctly your hubs look like 5 lug hubs and the custom wheels appear to be 4 lug hubs? If that's the case you may have to change hubs or find some adapters?

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-14-2018, 05:26 PM   #3
WeberWho
is one Smokin' Farker

It looks to be a 2.5" difference in diameter between my current wheels and Sudsandswine wheels. Mine being the smaller wheels. Which I believe would only push the new wheels 1.25" closer to the fire box. So clearance shouldn't be an issue with the turned fire box.

I guess the only other head scratcher is the hubs. I'm no mechanic. So now I need to figure out if the hubs are interchangeable so I could swap with a 4 stud hub. Anyone familiar with these types of hubs? Thanks!

Old 08-14-2018, 05:29 PM   #4
PatAttack
somebody shut me the fark up.

I'm sure Paul will stop by when he gets a chance and have an answer for you.

22" WSM
22" Weber Gold
Weber Smoky Joe
Weber Gasser
Rec-Tec 590
PatAttack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-14-2018, 05:32 PM   #5
WeberWho
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2smoke View Post
If I'm seeing the picture correctly your hubs look like 5 lug hubs and the custom wheels appear to be 4 lug hubs? If that's the case you may have to change hubs or find some adapters?
I just saw your post. Yeah I think I'll need to switch out hubs. I've never switched out hubs before. I'd imagine there's some type of set standards with them and sizing. I've takes them apart before and regreased them but have never swapped them out. I just wonder if its as easy as it sounds or if it's going to be some crazy puzzle making everything work.

Old 08-14-2018, 05:44 PM   #6
WeberWho
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatAttack View Post
I'm sure Paul will stop by when he gets a chance and have an answer for you.
Hey thanks. I hate to be a thorn with them. I think I'm making my way. Just not sure a 100% yet about the hubs. I have the smoker up in my parents garage at the moment. I made a quick stop there this evening for some measurments. I'm just going off what I saw for a few minute's. I need to find a trailer and get the smoker back to my place. I'd be able to at least visually see what's going on and see what it takes to remove hubs and get some measurments.

I think i might have the cart before the horse at this point of time. Usually how it goes for me!

Old 08-14-2018, 05:51 PM   #7
WilliamKY
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : William

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeberWho View Post
I just saw your post. Yeah I think I'll need to switch out hubs. I've never switched out hubs before. I'd imagine there's some type of set standards with them and sizing. I've takes them apart before and regreased them but have never swapped them out. I just wonder if its as easy as it sounds or if it's going to be some crazy puzzle making everything work.
I'm assuming both cookers are Shirleys. It looks like the carts they are mounted on are very similar. I'm guessing the hubs are the same size just a different # of lugs. It may be that easy just swapping them out. I would contact Shirley Fabrication just to be sure.
Weber 26
WGA
Old Smokey Electric.
Go Cards!
WilliamKY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-14-2018, 06:47 PM   #8
zippy12
is One Chatty Farker

Wheels Really wheels

My concern would be how it cooks.....

tell him to get a brisket PRIME! cook it and then you taste to see if the smoker performs!

excellent pay full
good pay minus 20%
bad minus 50%

Old 08-14-2018, 07:23 PM   #9
sudsandswine
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Nothing wrong with adding some show to your go

Not really sure what to make with the rest of your post

Old 08-15-2018, 10:39 AM   #10
WeberWho
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamKY View Post
I'm assuming both cookers are Shirleys. It looks like the carts they are mounted on are very similar. I'm guessing the hubs are the same size just a different # of lugs. It may be that easy just swapping them out. I would contact Shirley Fabrication just to be sure.
They are both Shirley smokers. I'm thinking I should be able to swap them out. Unless they have different size axles with different wheel setups. Hopefully they're universal from model to model

Old 08-15-2018, 10:46 AM   #11
WeberWho
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy12 View Post
Wheels Really wheels

My concern would be how it cooks.....

tell him to get a brisket PRIME! cook it and then you taste to see if the smoker performs!

excellent pay full
good pay minus 20%
bad minus 50%
Not sure if this post was for this thread or not. Smoker is all good in the hood.

Old 08-15-2018, 10:47 AM   #12
WeberWho
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudsandswine View Post
Nothing wrong with adding some show to your go

Not really sure what to make with the rest of your post
Amen!

Old 08-15-2018, 12:39 PM   #13
toys4dlr
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : David

I have searched high and low to find a wheel adapter for a 5 lug to 4 and I cant seem to find them, as I was going to redo my shirley wheels. I had Paul make mine narrow to fit through our pool gate and now we moved and have a RV gate. Paul mentioned that swapping the hubs are the way to go. I have not done it yet, as I am lazy. SUDS do you have the hubs from the conversion?? or just the wheels??

Toys 4 BBQ'N Competition BBQ Team
4x Hunsaker Drum Smokers
FEC 100 (sold), FEC 120 (sold), FEC 240, FEC 500 (sold), PG 500
Shirley Fab 52 x 24 Patio (sold)
250 gallon trailered Moberg
toys4dlr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-15-2018, 01:06 PM   #14
sudsandswine
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Nope, just the wheels. Left the cart itself there.

Old 08-15-2018, 05:11 PM   #15
TuscaloosaQ
Babbling Farker

Be aware of ths all the Axels we use now on our patio models are 3500#.... we use to use 2000#... but the price difference was not that much more to jump up to.3500# so we did.... to use golf cart wheels you will need a 4 on 4 bolt circle... the spindle size is different
On a 3500# axel and a 2000#.... I say this also....we use to buy end units and make our own axels..I would check the spindle size to see if they will be able to be swapped.... I say if someone wants to upgrade their wheels to have more bling... do it... I mean you earned that money I’m sure..... will it cook different no.... it will look cooler tho..... to each his own..... Tyler drives a 70,000$ Ford F-350 diesel dually.... I drive a 2010 tundra....... cause that is
What I like.... if you earn it spend it the way u want....

Check out our website at ShirleyFabrication.com

Like our Facebook Page Facebook.com/ShirleyFabrication
TuscaloosaQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->