MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

View Poll Results: Which Lang
Lang 36 Deluxe $1395 7 11.67%
Lang 36 $1095.00 3 5.00%
Lang 48 $1895.00 50 83.33%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-07-2014, 02:37 PM   #31
Ackman
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefighter View Post
Pick the one you want and buy the next size up. In the end you will be happier.

+1 bought the 36, wish I had bought the 48
WSM 18"
CookShack SM025
Lang 36
BWS Extended Party
Humphrey's Battle Box and matching Pint
Ackman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-07-2014, 07:57 PM   #32
Terry The Toad
is one Smokin' Farker

If you enjoy smoking - listen to the folks who tell you to get the biggest you can afford. I had a some serious heartburn plunking down the money for my Lang - but I can tell you it was some of the the best money I've ever spent. I truly enjoy smoking - and it has brought me a lot of pleasure (tending the fire, eating the BBQ, and listening to the compliments!) Good luck with your decision - and enjoy whichever one you choose.

"I love animals. I just love to eat them more. Fun to pet; better to chew." - Jim Gaffigan
Terry The Toad is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-07-2014, 08:30 PM   #33
bbqwilly
Babbling Farker

Do yourself a favor and PM TuscaloosaQ. You will get more smoker for less money and you will be very happy with the product. Paul has done work for many people on this board. You can check out his website shirleyfabrication.com and you will see real quick how good he is.
bbqwilly is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-2014, 03:26 PM   #34
Kernscookin
On the road to being a farker

When I bought mine the 48 Deluxe was about the same cost as the 60 NOT Deluxe. I asked Lang's opinion and he said he would go with the 60. That's what I did. I would go with the 48. I don't think the 36 is big enough.
Kernscookin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-2014, 08:31 PM   #35
Chrome Dome

I voted for the 36" Deluxe. But that's only because I already have an 84" Deluxe with chargrill. I love the product that the 84" puts out. The warmer box can run hot depending on how you run your vents. If you want it as a warmer, what's worked best for me is to close the vent from the main chamber and open the top vents in the box to let the radiant heat bleed out. I use the warmer box for the sides I do for my event. It's a great place for half steam pans of baked beans or mac and cheese. I've also used it to smoke brisket while doing turkeys in the main chamber. Definitely go a size bigger than you think you'll need.

Lang 84" Deluxe with Chargrill; Custom Lang 36" Deluxe; BGE

[url]www.fireduptohelp.org[/url]
Chrome Dome is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-2014, 09:21 PM   #36
Rippp
Got Wood.

I went through the same debate for weeks. Finally decided on the 48 for the added flexibility. I like having that extra space when friends come over or I'm cooking several different meats at the same time. Plus my friends said, "if you're debating this long over it...get the larger one." Which, I have to say that I'm happy that I did. If you have it in your budget, go for it. It'll cost you more money to upgrade to a 48" if you decide the 36" isn't large enough. Good Luck, you'll be happy with any of them.

Old 01-08-2014, 10:54 PM   #37
dummy que
Full Fledged Farker

Default biger is better

i halve a lang 60 original i picked it up at lang`s in NAHUTA GA. my wifey wanted a 48 with warmer but i got the 60 after being able to see the different models side by side i was glad i got the 60 the warmers are not very big on the 36,48 imho you are better off to spend your hard earned bucks on the larger cook chamber over the warmer

Old 01-09-2014, 09:22 AM   #38
Florida Farmer
Knows what a fatty is.

Just get one of every model then you won't go wrong. :) You'd probaby like the 48 better, due to the difference in capacity. I own and have competed on both.
Florida Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2014, 01:12 PM   #39
pjayt
Full Fledged Farker

They make a 36 stretch its longer longer than a 48 its the same body as 36 hybrid
they leave off the divider for the char grill I wish I would have known before I bought the hybrid deluxe
the vertical warmer box worth every dime it cost
Titan Santa Maria, RiverGrille cowboy grill
Blaze Professional Portable w/ pedestal
Thermapen one, Maverick Pro Temp PT100
Weston Pro-2300 vacuum packer
pjayt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2014, 04:19 PM   #40
jlane
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin' D View Post
I have a 48 and use it just for the backyard. I think it is the perfect size. Something to think about, while the tank size is 48" long, the lower grate is just 36" long. Grate space is lost at each end and on the 36 I'm thinking real estate would be sadly lacking.

Now mine is one with the rounded ends and the newer ones may be set up a bit different, but I'm sure there will still be some "grate loss" at each end.
Why is there so much "grate loss" on both ends? That seems very wasteful to me.

Last edited by jlane; 01-09-2014 at 04:41 PM..
jlane is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2014, 04:39 PM   #41
GoolsbyMD
Full Fledged Farker

Just an update I ended up going with a brethern company called Shirley Fabrication my cooking grates will be 22.5 wide and 44" long. Top and bottom slide out.

Old 01-09-2014, 05:17 PM   #42
pjayt
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlane View Post
Why is there so much "grate loss" on both ends? That seems very wasteful to me.
the smoke and heat come into the chamber under the drip pan below the grate on reverse flow it has to come out the opposite end from the chimney reverses
backward over the top of the food so you loose about 6" on the 36 it appears to be more on some of the larger units from what I've read.
Titan Santa Maria, RiverGrille cowboy grill
Blaze Professional Portable w/ pedestal
Thermapen one, Maverick Pro Temp PT100
Weston Pro-2300 vacuum packer
pjayt is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-10-2014, 01:24 PM   #43
Nutz4bbq

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoolsbyMD View Post
Just an update I ended up going with a brethern company called Shirley Fabrication my cooking grates will be 22.5 wide and 44" long. Top and bottom slide out.

Good luck...
Nutz4bbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2014, 01:25 PM   #44
Nutz4bbq

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoolsbyMD View Post

Good luck... you'll wish you got a Lang!!
Nutz4bbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-10-2014, 02:10 PM   #45
Kernscookin

I agree, you WILL wish you got a Lang.
Kernscookin is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->