CHILI. A true American cuisine

smoke ninja

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Chili, it is many things too many people.

Chili con carne, true texas chili, is simple. Beef, onion, chile peppers and heat. It is a strict discipline.

As chili traveled it changed. Texans mock what it has become as bean and tomato soup.

I dont consider this a bad thing. By the time it crosses the ohio border the dish morphs into a sort of potluck.

The chili i grew up on had chunks of veggies, even corn. It wasnt that spicy and was served with toppings from raw onion to oyster crackers.

Regionally we even have dearborn chili, an essential ingredient for coney dogs and chili cheese fries.

From the chuck wagon to ball park nachos chili remains a true American dish

What does chili mean to you?

I grew up on Chili-o, so suffice it to say, I never got into it. Donna, on the other hand, is a chili freak; and puts together some good stuff, never the same tho. What you got going on looks most fine!

I need to find some chili recipes to try out. Wife will not eat maters. I made chili once....many years ago....and she called me a pinchi white boy.....it was several different kinds of canned beans....this coming from the Mexican that couldn't make tortillas

Chili is comfort food on a cold nasty day to me and mine. Beans are ok with us. No beans is ok too. It just needs to have some spice and be piping hot. Ms Gwen likes Fritos, cheese, sour cream and sliced pickled jalapenos in hers. I'm ok with that. I also like it over rice with some shredded cheese and japs sometimes. I make big batches which we eat on for a couple days. It's always better on the second day. Then I freeze a few quarts for quick meals.

Chili is a staple to us when it gets a little chilly outside.

P.S. We like cornbread with ours too sometimes.

i like to buy chili bricks like dolores or xlnt to save on time, just add meat. if i add beans its a small amount.

I've always like chili as meat, chiles, spices and aromatics. Water or stock to desired fluid level. Beans were okay, I preferred it over rice. Cornbread add in if there's no rice.

Detroit coney chili?

The Coney Sauce
1 pound ground chuck

1/2 pound ground beef heart

3 tablespoons all-purpose flour

1 large onion, chopped

1 red bell pepper, chopped

3 cloves garlic, minced

4 teaspoons American chili powder

1 teaspoon paprika

1 teaspoon ground cumin

1 teaspoon cinnamon

1 teaspoon dried oregano

1/2 teaspoon table salt

1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper

1.5 cups chicken or beef broth

4 ounces tomato paste

2 teaspoons cider vinegar

1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce

http://amazingribs.com/recipes/hot_dogs_and_sausages/detroit_coneys.html

My "real" chili uses brisket leftovers usually without beans, but I recently experimented with a simple/instant Cincinnati or Coney style sauce for chili dogs that has turned out very good.

2 pounds ground beef
32 ounce beef stock
1 cup Big Ron's Texas Chili mix
http://bigronswebsite.com/BigRonsRub.html
18 ounce Pomi' tomato sauce
http://www.pomi.us.com/TomatoSauce.php
Lots of minced garlic, onion, jalapeños, etc., whatever

Everything in a pot (uncooked), vigorous stir to break up the raw ground beef bring it to a boil then simmer for a couple hours.

Very tasty but next time I'll add more heat. I froze a bunch of little 1 cup containers so I can pull one out and nuke it when I want a chili dog for lunch.

I truly enjoy all kinds of chili, that's what makes it so wonderful; usually tastes good no matter what is has in it! :eusa_clap I grew up on my grandpas chili which was just ground meat and sauce and then over time my mom morphed it into something else with beans, corn/veggies, etc... I bet it was to make it stretch further. Thanks for posting, brings back fond memories...

Growing up in Western PA it was always served with beans, lots of times the meat was venison, and there was some elbow Mac boiled up for those so inclined to make chili mac.

I've lived in three distinct parts of the country now though, and I'm a sucker for variety. Love it all, though the above is my childhood intro to it, and its my sons favorite.

Growing up in Western PA it was always served with beans, lots of times the meat was venison, and there was some elbow Mac boiled up for those so inclined to make chili mac.

I've lived in three distinct parts of the country now though, and I'm a sucker for variety. Love it all, though the above is my childhood intro to it, and its my sons favorite.

The chili i made yesterday was 50/50 ground beef/venison. Venison adds a certain something to the dish.

Oh and ive been guilty of chili mac. Matter of fact i may be guilty of it again this afternoon

Back