Monitoring ribs during 3-2-1

benniesdad

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Tried making spare ribs using the 3-2-1 method and they were seriously overcooked at the end of the foiling period. For those of you who use this method, how do you monitor doneness while they are foiled? Peek, bend test etc.? Any tricks?

I found the same thing, I just adjusted the time spent in the foil the next time I cooked until I found the tenderness I was looking for.

I switched to a 3-1-1.

Seems okay.

We like them falling off the bone, though.

The times are a CONCEPT--not a recipe!!!!!!!!!!
You will find times and temps on your cooker that start the process just fine.

I double wrap in HD Foil.
At an hour or so into the wrap portion, I lift the slab at the center.
The foil adds stiffness--if it does not bend at all, I just put them back on for another 15-30 minutes.
If they droop at all--I open the top of the foil and do the classic bend test on each slab.
From that, I decide if they need more time in foil, more time unwrapped, or if I need to pull them as "done"!
Easier to do than to write about!

Once I started doing this, we went to "high ranked" rib scores in almost every comp and about 6th in the FBA TOTY for ribs.

I do the same thing at home cause my friends and family deserve the best I can deliver.

Not Rocket Science--just "feel" and understanding the process.

Good Luck

TIM

For my smoker at 230 degrees it is 2.5 - 2 - 1 ish and for my daughter's rack of ribs it is 2.5 - 2 - fall off the bone.

I put a toothpick on them after 1.5 hours wraped and adjust if needed.

I use the 3-nofoil-untildone method and use a toothpick for doneness.

AT 250 it's usually 2.5, 1.5, 30 min to an hour for glaze. If they feel like they are right on I will decrease the temp to 225 for the glaze to set. If they still feel like they need more time I'll just keep it at steady 250.

Run at 275*
2.5 hours naked on grid
1 hour 15 min - foiled (meat side down in a butter - honey mix)
30-45 min naked (start checking for tenderness) lift one half up and see if slab bends at 90 degrees and acts like it's gonna rip. DONE!

I adjust my times depending on the thickness of the ribs. I agree 3-2-1 is a bit long for most of my rib cooks @ 250*ish. I have been adjusting my cook times with success most of the time. 2.5-1.5-.75 has been my go to lately (plus or minus .5).

Not one poster asked you what temp you cooked your ribs and most told you their cooking times but left off the temp they cook at.

And... No one has asked if the spares were trimmed or untrimmed, and how much they weighted. All of these things will effect cook time until done.

There is no magic formula that is right for every temp, pit, rib type and weight. 3-2-1 was developed as a guideline for untrimmed spares. Trimmed spares or baby backs will require less time and that can change for each rack and pit temp.

Thanks much to everyone for the comments. I guess I was not really clear in my question. What I was asking was for the techniques of how those of you who are experienced foiling ribs use to monitor their doneness while they are still foiled. Obviously 3-2-1 was not the right forumula for these ribs.

For everyone who asked I trimed these to St Louis cut and smoked them right at 225. I got a call shortly before I foiled them and had to take care of something so I was gone almost the entire time they were in foil so they got the full two hours. When I got back it will still stable and running right at 225. I normally do both spares and baby back straight on the grates at 275 so 6 total hours of cooking time.

Lots of good discussion. Appreciate all the ideas for the next time.

I don't check when I'm foiling. I have just learnd through experience how long they should stay wrapped. Everyone will be different based on pit and temp. For my WSM at 275 dome temp it is 2-1-.5 or 1.

I normally do both spares and baby back straight on the grates at 275 so 6 total hours of cooking time

Something is not right with those times at that temp. St louis spares should only take around 4 hours at 275, and loin backs around 3+ hours. Maybe you like rib jerky?

I'd verify that temps at cooking grate are what you think they are.

If you hang around here for a while, you will see some spectacular ribs that were done in less than 4 hours cooked naked. No spritz, mop, foil, or peeking. Just let 'em rip till the sizzling sound starts to quiet down.

I agree with El Ropo; something don't sound right.

BUT, I have learned that for me, I need to leave the foil loose so some of the steam can get out. Otherwise, I end up with overlooked and almost boiled ribs.

wallace

Back