GrillGrates vs Mangrates

The_Kapn

Moderator Emeritus

Batch Image
Reaction score
Mangrates are now on sale as noted in another thread.

Both grates seem to be of roughly the same design, size, and price.

Only major difference, unless I missed something, is cast iron vs aluminum.

Anyone use both or anyone have pros and cons for either?????

I am thinking about 3 or 4 of either to use in my Traeger.

Thanks,

TIM

Haven't tried GrillGrates but I have been eyeballing them pretty seriously. I'm definitely hard core Cast Iron so I'm not really sure myself. This post should be an interesting read. Good Question. :thumb:

What is the benefit of using these as opposed to just getting a cast iron grid?

What is the benefit of using these as opposed to just getting a cast iron grid?

Good question.
I put a cast iron grid from my old gasser on the Traeger and cranked it to 450 deg.
Got grill marks, but the grease just dripped down through.

Apparently, these grates hold the drippings close to the meat and help with flavor and all of that.

And, I gave away the grates when the dead gasser went to the curb to be picked up by a new owner :redface:

Just my understanding of the claims----I am still learning.

TIM

Interesting, I would think the drippings would steam the meat in addition to the searing. Of course the trade off is reduced flare ups so sounds like a good trade off.

In my opinion I would go with the GrillGrate. I just did a review on both. They are both good grates, but I feel you get more for your money with the GrillGrates. I also like how they interlock together. The pack of 3 GrillGrates covers 90% of my Weber Performer. They made some awesome grill marks too! Here are a couple pics from my review on my parents Weber gas grill.

Sent from my iPad2 using Tapatalk

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1321837327.063193.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1321837327.063193.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 524
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1321837379.854674.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1321837379.854674.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 515
Here are some pics from my ManGrate review. As you can see from the pics you get more grate coverage for the money by going with the GrillGrates.

3 pack of GrillGrates cost me $64.44 total with the 10% off sale. The ManGates cost me $85.99 total for 2 grates and the brush. So you are talking $24 cheaper and an extra grate over the ManGrate.

You can find the link to the sale page on GrillGrates Facebook page and they also tweeted it on November 16th and 17th on twitter :)

Sent from my iPad2 using Tapatalk

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1321837940.358523.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1321837940.358523.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 507
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1321837957.047163.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1321837957.047163.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 507
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1321837975.155267.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1321837975.155267.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 503
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1321837997.780668.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1321837997.780668.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 504
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1321838038.489272.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1321838038.489272.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 506
Last edited:
Personally, I stay away from all aluminum, someone needs to make the same thing in Iron or Stainless.
"
If you don't already know, aluminum poses a very serious danger to the human body, and in small amounts. Here's a little background about aluminum.
Aluminum does not occur as a free metal but is found in minerals and ores. In its natural state it doesn't pose a threat. It's plentiful, (most abundant metal in the earth), and it is cheaply extracted for use in many things. It is resistant to corrosion and very light weight.
For these reasons, aluminum is used widely, in places you may not even thing to look for it. We wear it, cook in it, with it, eat and drink it and there is no use for aluminum in the human body. It is dangerous, toxic, to the human body and we continue to use it. Broad uses of aluminum in consumer products include:"

I thought about the cast iron ManGrates, but went with the Grill Grates instead.

My reason was that all the cast iron grates that I have require a lot of upkeep. They all rust -no matter how much seasoning and cleaning they get, and the grates themselves flake off bits of iron and degrade. Now then, these are Weber and CharGriller grates that I'm dealing with and not the MG's, and a lot of the problem is the rainy weather here in the PNW, so I usually remove them in the Winter, but its what led me to buy the Grill Grates. A couple other farkers around here have them and Bingo here sells them at comps.

Nice review of both grates from PoQ!

I use mine on the Genesis and plan to try them out on Ty's Klose slide out CharGrill (that thing is the worst for temp control!)

I bought 5 of the interlocking Grill Grates and have not been disappointed.

I have a cast iron griddle around here somewhere that I don't use. I'm thinking about drilling some holes in between the raised areas of the griddle creating the cheap mans grill grate. The griddle is about 11" x 20" so the fit would be nice on my brinkman gas grill that has uneven heating and frequent flame ups. I do most of my grilling on charcoal but use the gas grill for quick week night meals.

I'm currently using expanded metal since the old grates rusted out. The only reason I keep the grill around is the burners are cast iron and won't die. I really want a Weber but it's not in the budget right now. Picture of similar griddle. Is it worth my effort and maybe killing a good griddle?

417A0EFEDTL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

One thing I like about the Grill Grates is how well they do with delicate meats. The grates get a little cooking spray on them and I have no issues with fish filets sticking and the funny looking spatula works great for getting under the filets for lifting and flipping. Here's some tilipia filets cooked on grill grates:

IMG_0092.jpg

IMG_0099.jpg

Here's some drumsticks that were marinated and cooked with the grill grates directly over the coals and no problems with flareups:

IMG_9925.jpg

IMG_9933.jpg

I've recently started using them as a baffle in my UDS and they work for that as well (photo taken by BigButzBBQ):

IMG_5219.jpg

Speaking of BigButzBBQ, here's a link to a review he did on the Man Grates.

I thought about the cast iron ManGrates, but went with the Grill Grates instead.

My reason was that all the cast iron grates that I have require a lot of upkeep. They all rust -no matter how much seasoning and cleaning they get, and the grates themselves flake off bits of iron and degrade. Now then, these are Weber and CharGriller grates that I'm dealing with and not the MG's, and a lot of the problem is the rainy weather here in the PNW, so I usually remove them in the Winter, but its what led me to buy the Grill Grates. A couple other farkers around here have them and Bingo here sells them at comps.

Nice review of both grates from PoQ!

I use mine on the Genesis and plan to try them out on Ty's Klose slide out CharGrill (that thing is the worst for temp control!)

I bought 5 of the interlocking Grill Grates and have not been disappointed.

Thanks swamprb!

I left the ManGrates on my parents grill not even a week and they started showing signs of rust. I was able to get the rust off with no problems.

I am loving the GrillGrates! Here are the links to my reviews on both grates....

http://www.bbqsaucereviews.com/jay-prince-reviews-the-grillgrate/

http://www.bbqsaucereviews.com/jay-prince-reviews-the-mangrate/

Like I said before you get more grill grate coverage for the money with the GrillGrates!

Any more thoughts?

I am fixin' to order a set of 3 GrillGrates.
Merry Christmas from the Kapn to the Kapn :-D :-D

TIM

Any more thoughts?

I am fixin' to order a set of 3 GrillGrates.
Merry Christmas from the Kapn to the Kapn :-D :-D

TIM

You are gonna be happier than Ralphie and his Red Ryder BB Gun - just don't shoot yer eye out!

A lot of science behind GrillGrates

There are a lot of differences between the two products:

1. You are right about the ALLOY aspect being a major difference. AL is much more conductive and heats much faster and more uniformly. GG act as a heat exchanger sending heat up the rails to sear at lower temps too. Traeger owners have shown us this with GG.
  2. The added mass of the product allows for more RADIANT heat which cooks food faster with more uniformity. AND foods are juicier with less shrinkage from radiant / infrared heat. Restaurants are seeing this with GrillGrates- portions are larger and juicier.
  3. No more hot and cold spots which is a major CI issue.
  4. CI does not conduct heat well at all, Stainless is even worse. CI takes a lot of energy to heat up but holds heat very well once heated. No real control if you over shoot your temps you have a long wait to cool back to good grill temps. AL is much more efficient and does the job with less fuel- (especially in the gas grill world)
  5. AL does not rust. CI in a moist grill environment- can rust really fast.
  6. Beyond alloy, the design is also different in regard to GrillGrates perforated bottom plate which deflects flare-ups only allowing a kiss of flame through but not engulfing fires on those juicy rib-eyes. Flames are diverted to the sides further diffusing hot spots too.
  7. The valleys are a big secret for added seasoning. The sizzle back of juices helps add even more flavor and juiciness and prevents drying out. KCBS judges and comp teams tell me they are using LESS seasoning because GG brings out the true flavor of meats- especially steak and chicken. Both CI and AL GG season but GG adds a seasoning aspect via the valleys. Chefs tell me they add spices and marinades directly into the valleys. One competitor even renders a butt on his GG before comps and grills steaks over bubbling pork fat! He's won a first doing that.
  8. GrillGrates include The GrateTool which makes handling food on and off the grill a charm and also is for cleaning the valleys every so often. The tips are slightly turned up like a shovel or snow plow so it doesn't catch in the holes.
  9. GrillGrates are being used right on top of CI products in restaurants with noticeably better results- stay tuned for more on that front.
THANK you BRETHREN for your forum and opportunity to share experiences. Happy Thanksgiving, be safe out there!

1. Mangrates are now on sale as noted in another thread.
Both grates seem to be of roughly the same design, size, and price.

Only major difference, unless I missed something, is cast iron vs aluminum.

Anyone use both or anyone have pros and cons for either?????

I am thinking about 3 or 4 of either to use in my Traeger.

Thanks,

TIM

First test cook, and I am TICKLED!

Did 2 Turkey Burgers for Mrs Kapn and two 7oz Brisket Burgers for me.
Tried several temps and times.

On my Traeger, wound up at 400 deg for best results.

For the thin Turkey Burgers, 1.5 minutes, rotate, 1.5 min and flip, 1.5 min and rotate, and 1.5 min to 140-150 ish IT.

For the thicker Brisket Burgers, 2 min and rotate, 2 min and flip, 2 min and rotate, and 2 -2.5 min to finish at 140 ish IT.

Gorgeous burgers and full of moisture.

I have always been told I can not really "grill" on the Traeger.
Sorry, but just not true!

Couple of Ribeyes are next next week. :-D

TIM

I've been a GrillGrates user for over a year and have become a big advocate of them. Basically, they move the "sizzle" right up under the meat and help provide a wonderful grilled flavor in addition to the smoke and fire from your cooker. Don't put them in the dishwasher, though -- just hose them off and scrape the channels occasionally. This keeps them seasoned.

Hub

That's awesome Tim! Glad you liked them! I grilled some Rib-Eyes on mine and they turned perfect...great grill marks and nice and juicy.

Back