MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 06-15-2020, 12:11 PM   #451
Slamdunkpro
Babbling Farker

Instead of a hard bonus point number they want to factor the bonus points based on overall placement and number of teams
Spicewine Tandem - "The Beast"
, 2 Vulcan V33's & 1 V9
Brinkman modified upright, Weber Kettle(s); Meadow Creek Pr-24, Super Stealth Mode black & Night Vision Red Thermopens
-----------------
MABA - (Mid Atlantic BBQ Association) President
KCBS Certified Judge - #23289
Slamdunkpro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-15-2020, 02:21 PM   #452
GrillBillie_D
Full Fledged Farker

So if they award more bonus points to the mega-contests, that will help kill off smaller contests, won't it?
GrillBillie_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-15-2020, 03:01 PM   #453
pharp
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrillBillie_D View Post
So if they award more bonus points to the mega-contests, that will help kill off smaller contests, won't it?
I am still not what that written description actually means, so I don't want to go to far down the rabbit hole.

But to be realistic, how many "mega-contests" are going to have over a 100 teams on any given weekend?

Old 06-15-2020, 08:06 PM   #454
GrillBillie_D
Full Fledged Farker

I wrote the board and they explained it is an overhaul on how TOY points would be structured. I shared my concerns and they are at least listening. Here is one possible example. Lets say a 50 team contest gets an extra 15 points (vs a 35 team event). As it stands now, teams chasing TOY points usually look for 35 team contests or more (max bonus points). Now, if they can skip a 35 team contest to go somewhere else for 50 teams, now the 35 team contest drops down to say 25 or 26 teams. Now you are flirting with the qualifier status, so maybe a few more teams skip it because they don't want to risk it not being a qualifier. Now, you risk losing those smaller contests all together. It can become a slippery slope. Usually the attraction of the larger events is the larger prize money. Is that not enough of an incentive? You also see some 30-35 team events that are stacked....even more so than some 50 team events but there is no way to determine quality of a field of teams. Sometimes a 3rd at a 35 team contest is 'harder' than 7th at a 50 team event. I shared my concerns with the board and hope that they consider the pros and cons. I am not against change I just hope it vetted before changing it.

Old 06-15-2020, 08:29 PM   #455
pharp
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrillBillie_D View Post
I wrote the board and they explained it is an overhaul on how TOY points would be structured. I shared my concerns and they are at least listening. Here is one possible example. Lets say a 50 team contest gets an extra 15 points (vs a 35 team event). As it stands now, teams chasing TOY points usually look for 35 team contests or more (max bonus points). Now, if they can skip a 35 team contest to go somewhere else for 50 teams, now the 35 team contest drops down to say 25 or 26 teams. Now you are flirting with the qualifier status, so maybe a few more teams skip it because they don't want to risk it not being a qualifier. Now, you risk losing those smaller contests all together. It can become a slippery slope. Usually the attraction of the larger events is the larger prize money. Is that not enough of an incentive? You also see some 30-35 team events that are stacked....even more so than some 50 team events but there is no way to determine quality of a field of teams. Sometimes a 3rd at a 35 team contest is 'harder' than 7th at a 50 team event. I shared my concerns with the board and hope that they consider the pros and cons. I am not against change I just hope it vetted before changing it.
I am really not trying to be argumentative, which is hard here because everyone just always wants to prove their point. But this seems like putting the cart before the horse. On any given weekend (pre Covid) there are probably less than 5 contests with 50 teams. On average probably on 2-3 100 team events per year. The "points chase" in reality only affects 3-5 teams per year, for the last few years it has been a two horse race after the first half of the year.

I will never be one of those teams. I am willing to bet that if you apply whatever new formula they are coming up with (which I still think is non-decipherable with the current information) to the last three years, the biggest change at most would be 1st and 2nd swapping places. I think the more important picture is can this new structure benefit a broader range of teams, not just the elite ones.

In closing I am kind of disappointed that this is a focal point for them right now. I think the focus should be getting more events, more teams, and more excitement around the KCBS. I definitely think there should be a clear definition and payout for the TOY, but is that really the biggest challenge the KCBS is facing right now?

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-16-2020, 07:22 AM   #456
midwest_kc
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Joel

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharp View Post
In closing I am kind of disappointed that this is a focal point for them right now. I think the focus should be getting more events, more teams, and more excitement around the KCBS. I definitely think there should be a clear definition and payout for the TOY, but is that really the biggest challenge the KCBS is facing right now?
I'm guessing (and that's all it is at this point) that they believe that if they have several stage champions it will do a couple things

1) keep more people "in the hunt" longer. This means they are chasing, cooking more, etc. This means contests are healthier due to increased participation, and excitement around who will win these shorter stages.

2) It will allow smaller teams a chance to win something. You can only do 6 contests? Well, if you do them in this stage, you have a chance at a prize.

That said, I am concerned about smaller contests if the bonus point number is raised.

Thanks from: --->
Old 06-16-2020, 07:53 AM   #457
pharp
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest_kc View Post
I'm guessing (and that's all it is at this point) that they believe that if they have several stage champions it will do a couple things

1) keep more people "in the hunt" longer. This means they are chasing, cooking more, etc. This means contests are healthier due to increased participation, and excitement around who will win these shorter stages.

2) It will allow smaller teams a chance to win something. You can only do 6 contests? Well, if you do them in this stage, you have a chance at a prize.

That said, I am concerned about smaller contests if the bonus point number is raised.

I hope the stand alone rib events don't get lost with everything going on. I thought that was a really good idea to get new teams interested without huge commitment.

Old 06-16-2020, 08:45 AM   #458
gettinbasted
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
I hope the stand alone rib events don't get lost with everything going on. I thought that was a really good idea to get new teams interested without huge commitment.
I’m working on a rib only series right now. There should be an announcement very soon!

Thanks from: --->
Old 06-17-2020, 10:31 PM   #459
GrillBillie_D
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
I am really not trying to be argumentative, which is hard here because everyone just always wants to prove their point.
I agree with you! One reason I addressed to the board is why is this important now? It seems out of left field. My first concern was that they were doing all discussions in closed sessions. I am not in favor of those kind of actions. I only posted my thoughts here so that some of you may think about what they are doing and engage them. Is changing TOY point structure even really an issue that needs addressing now? I don't think so but if they are doing it, we should let them know our thoughts.

That is all....carry on....and be safe!

Thanks from:--->

Tags
kcbs