Stlitz, I doubt the basket is the problem. I bought a replacement water pan and punched a bunch of 3/4" holes in it for a charcoal basket for a friends UDS and it has no problem with the temps.

If it was ash build up, it would affect the later part of the cook and not the entire cook.

All that being said, if you have a step bit it wouldn't hurt to try opening up some of those holes.

And all that again being said, if it is steady 220 the entire time and it doesn't spike, I would use the old computer programmer saying, "That's not a bug, it's a feature!"

12 hour burn and I still have the red liner......only like 30% of it burned off.....HELP!!!!!!

The only thing was I had problems last time with temps. I just can't seem to get above 220*. I have (8) 1/2" holes in the flat lid and (4) intakes around the bottom. For my intakes I have (2) 3/4" x 3" pipes with caps and (2) ball valves. With all four open all the way I can't hit higher than 220*.

Just another possible cause (the one that gave me the most grief). What are you using for charcoal? I had the same problem with some older bags lying aground (one open for over a year, second one stored in a humid enviroment). Mosture absorbed by the charcoal was acting as a natural thermostat in my UDS. Fresh bag of (dryer) charcoal solved the problem. I also notice that the unburnt charcoal in my UDS will absorbe mosture occasionally between useage.

Finally got her done and seasoned. She held perfect cooking temps from 5pm until 8am when I shut her down, all on the single load of charcoal.:p
Will be cooking a butt tommorow for her maiden voyage.
A special thanks to all that contributed to this thread.

Nice cooker Jethro!

I have missed a couple dozen pages of the thread - so please forgive me if it is in here somewhere, but....

I have the obscene desire to put a guru on my uds. What size fan unit would it need? Any experiance with this lurking on the thread.
--
oh, why would one want to do such a stupid thing. I mostly BBQ for Sunday Lunch. Being able to sleep a little longer between temp checks would be nice (as well as not coming back from Church to a cold pit - happened once). The second reason is damp lump.

You need to find the Redneck Guru thread..Norcoredneck's invention.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45710

After hanging around the site for a long time I finally started. I tried to smoke on my gas grill a couple of times and the results were as you know, poor. That is what I am after wasting money on the meat. I have been keeping up with this thread and decided to start my build. I have an endless supply of drums, so if anyone in Southern IL needs a drum let me know. They are food grade with the liner. I went with 3 - 1/2inch and 1 - 3/4 ball valve and will use the 2 inch bung.
All is left is to paint and smoke!

Attachments

• uds1.JPG
    uds1.JPG
    37.1 KB · Views: 1,040
  • uds2.JPG
    uds2.JPG
    48.2 KB · Views: 1,036
  • uds3.JPG
    uds3.JPG
    40.1 KB · Views: 1,037
Question charcoal basket

Today I got my charcoal basket back from the welder and I realized that I gave the wrong measurement in height.
My basket is now 13cm/5" tall and diameter is 43cm/17".
How long can I cook with a full basket if everything is going ok (temp,wind etc.)?
Thanx!

Attachments

• SP_A0614.jpg
    SP_A0614.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 1,042
  • SP_A0613.jpg
    SP_A0613.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 1,042
Today I got my charcoal basket back from the welder and I realized that I gave the wrong measurement in height.
How long can I cook with a full basket if everything is going ok (temp,wind etc.)?
Thanx!

'til you run out of groceries!!!
Nice looking basket

Phubar, that size basket is just fine. My longest cook has been about 18 hours and didn't need to refuel. You are good to go brother.

just brought my barrel home from a reconditioning business. 8 individual wash stations including an acid bath, and sandblasted on the outside. I am going to wash the thing out to remove any residuals from the baths, and start drilling this weekend :) Cant wait. Should be complete early next week. I will post pics of the build.

Thanks Viva, I will try just the lid and see what happens. If it fails, I will use the gasket and try to rig it.

Just another possible cause (the one that gave me the most grief). What are you using for charcoal? I had the same problem with some older bags lying aground (one open for over a year, second one stored in a humid enviroment). Mosture absorbed by the charcoal was acting as a natural thermostat in my UDS. Fresh bag of (dryer) charcoal solved the problem. I also notice that the unburnt charcoal in my UDS will absorbe mosture occasionally between useage.

x2 my temps were up and down and totally unpredictable until I bought a Bag of fresh briquets. At first I used what I had leftover in bags around the house.

Thanx!

I also had a basket made and I think the guy welding was really getting into it - he built it like a tank! 16" dia 6" tall

I wanted to see how a full basket (to the top rim but not any higher)would burn and cooked for 12 hours and burned little over 1/3 of the coals. It will definately cook for as long as I need it to.

basket1.jpg

Sits about 3" high on the coal grate. Ash drops right through.

basket2.jpg

Just added coals to start the cook.

litecoals.jpg

Biggs, how big a fire did you build? You have to put a lot of wood in the barrel to get that liner off. It is tough stuff. Flames should be shooting out about 3 feet above the barrel.
Helps if you have the holes in the bottom to add oxygen from the bottom.

Back