• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Turtles

The_Kapn

Moderator Emeritus

Batch Image
Reaction score
Just learned what NOT to do in the future :redface:

My FIL loves candy Turtles. He gets boxes and boxes and boxes every holiday.
I see Emeril make Turtles. Heck, if he can do it, so can I. Right?
My FIL is a PITA sometimes, but he is still a special guy and I want to do something special for him.

The Chefs like Emeril always say that baking and candy are done by formula. Unlike most cooking where you can improvise a lot. Understatement of the year! And, candy making takes some real talent, not like making a Butt or a Fattie :lol:

Finally got it right! Took about 4 days of frustration and 30 or 40 Turtles into the trash can or given to the neighbors.
Wound up with 35 great ones, finally. I quit there!

Sure hope he enjoys them!

Now I know why Emeril and those folks make Mega Millions a year and I am a retired old fart on a fixed income :redface:

I told wife that if I ever suggested making candy again--Just Shoot Me :redface:
I will stick with BBQ!

TIM

Attachments

• Turtles.jpg
    Turtles.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 129
Great effort!!! Time and temp is everything when it comes to candy.

They look pretty good to me. I can relate. Baking ain't like low and slow. I'm baking cookies for my coworkers today. Burned at least one pan of each variety.

... baking bread and pastry is enough of a challenge! Candy is a special skill. Looks great and I'm sure it tastes even better. Good job .... glad you 'toughed' it out!

Man those look real good, and heck instead of throwin' out the Farkers that werent up to par, you could just send 'em to me. Im just sayin'!! :twisted:

The_Kapn said:
Just learned what NOT to do in the future :redface:

My FIL loves candy Turtles. He gets boxes and boxes and boxes every holiday.
I see Emeril make Turtles. Heck, if he can do it, so can I. Right?
My FIL is a PITA sometimes, but he is still a special guy and I want to do something special for him.

The Chefs like Emeril always say that baking and candy are done by formula. Unlike most cooking where you can improvise a lot. Understatement of the year! And, candy making takes some real talent, not like making a Butt or a Fattie :lol:

Finally got it right! Took about 4 days of frustration and 30 or 40 Turtles into the trash can or given to the neighbors.
Wound up with 35 great ones, finally. I quit there!

Sure hope he enjoys them!

Now I know why Emeril and those folks make Mega Millions a year and I am a retired old fart on a fixed income :redface:

I told wife that if I ever suggested making candy again--Just Shoot Me :redface:
I will stick with BBQ!

TIM

Kapn,

Those look lovely, if your FIL doesn't eat em all...

g

Baking is too much like math! I don't want to think that hard.

but the candy looks great, Tim!

Great looking candy Kapn. I'm with Rub N Smoke though, I mean come on we might like Turtles too. ;)

The biggest (mis) adventure on this project was "duplicating" Emeril's caramel. Made fron scratch, naturally. I followed the recipie (formula) EXACTLY!
Chit was so hard you could not break it! :twisted:
Would make great material for Humvee armor or the "black boxes" on airliners. :redface:
First 5 Turtles into the trash and on the way to the landfill.
They probably have the "half-life" of uranium :lol:

Just sliced and put 16# of Bottom Round into marinade for Jerky!
Theraputic.
That is a "goof proof" project like I need. :lol:

TIM

haha.. i remember when i was watching them do tha candy makin on tv. he kept talking about the "softball"stage.. hell i thought he was wanting it to be the size of a softball.. My grandmother got a good laugh out of that one..

The_Kapn said:
The biggest (mis) adventure on this project was "duplicating" Emeril's caramel. Made fron scratch, naturally. I followed the recipie (formula) EXACTLY!
Chit was so hard you could not break it! :twisted:
Would make great material for Humvee armor or the "black boxes" on airliners. :redface:
First 5 Turtles into the trash and on the way to the landfill.
They probably have the "half-life" of uranium :lol:

Just sliced and put 16# of Bottom Round into marinade for Jerky!
Theraputic.
That is a "goof proof" project like I need. :lol:

TIM

The last time I attempted making caramel, it cost me several kitchen utensils and kitchen privileges for a period of time. You cook that stuff too long or hot and it is hard enough for body armor, probably too heavy though.

....and KC would be proud of you. Glad you got it right. Hope your FIL enjoys.

Miss ya bro!

Nice job Kapn. I guess you could have practices with peanuts. They're like 1/5 the cost of pecans.

The keys to caramel is a good CLEAN pot (1 spot of anything in the pan will cause a chain reaction and it will seize and I use a French copper pan as it heats & cools quickly which gives a little more control). The other most important thing is a candy themometer, a CLEAN pastry brush to clean the sides of the pan during cooking and a bowl of ice water at hand to test the caramel. After some practice you won't need the themometer and will know by color and touch (after it is in the ice bath). One important warning caramel is the one of the most dangerous things to work with in a kitchen it causes horrible burns and actually attaches to your skin and burn inward, really painful. So be careful. On the note of Emeril he is a great chef but not much with pastry. I have worked with a few incredible executive chefs who did start out in pastry but for the most part you usually do savory or sweet not both especially in big places(Emeril has always been an exec. chef never pastry). Next time try a recipe from a pastry chef there are many great ones out there that might be more user friendly.

"Next time try a recipe from a pastry chef there are many great ones out there that might be more user friendly."

Great thoughts, but--there ain't gonna be a next time! :lol:

"BBQ" and "Brownie Mixes" for me now!
OK, maybe some "kicked up" veggies--kinda goof proof :redface:

Thanks,

TIM

DAY ONE of my therapy has begun.

8 # load of Jerky on the Excalibur.
8 # more tomorrow.

The prognosis is........I should be fully recovered from the Turtle Trauma by tomorrow night! :lol:

TIM

Attachments

• DCP03863.JPG
    DCP03863.JPG
    77.1 KB · Views: 35
Back