Headed to Marshall, Mo to check on some Brethren

Solidkick

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I'm leaving the house here in a bit to drive over to Marshall MO to see how Skip (Chick-N-Pig) and Mark (Smokecrane) are doing in their first KCBS contest. It's their first contest for both of them. I'm going to call both of them and see if there is anything I need to bring them from town.

So, I'm not cooking this weekend........but I hope to be eating good Q in a couple of hours!

So, is there a reason they (or you!) didn't let anyone know about this before now? :D

We'd have liked to have given them a rousing send off and pep rally like we do other brothers heading off to joust at the tournaments! :D

Good luck, keep us advised - we do have a Competition Forum you know?! :mrgreen:

I want to know when Kick learned how to drive ?

Thanks Brian!

The boys encountered less than ideal cooking conditions......20mph winds with gusts up to 40mph, temps in the 40s, and a early morning hail/sleet storm. It was quite an effort to hang in there under the conditions, they were feeling a little "defeated." The Spicewine cookers did their jobs.

There were a few name teams competing there, Smoking Guns, Three Little Pigs, Blues Hog Cookers, Smoking Elvis, a few more I can't remember.......39 teams in all....a nice size first contest for the boys with some competition......

Chick-N-Pig came in 24th, with a 12th place in brisket as their best catagory.
Big 'Uns BBQ came in 28th, with an 11th place in pork as their best catagory.

Congrats guys on a great first cook, and learning experience, Both identified areas that have room to improve on, but neither were discouraged and will be hitting the road again soon to take on the competition. Go Get "Em Brothers!

Pictures soon to follow..........

Congrats guys on a great first cook, and learning experience, Both identified areas that have room to improve on, but neither were discouraged and will be hitting the road again soon to take on the competition. Go Get "Em Brothers!
Ditto on the Congrats :D

To cook in those conditions and still be ready for more...that tells you a lot about them--

Great Job Guys!

TIM

Good job. Lousy weather makes for a miserable weekend - but great "war stories". :D

Thanks brothers for the kind words.

Sorry,I should have messaged that I was going to Marshall for my first competition but to tell you the truth with work and trying to load up to go I had too much on my plate!. Thursday night I only got 3 hours of sleep.

For my first competition I am pretty happy with 24th. It ain't like cooking at home thats for sure and I did learn a lot. I thought our turn ins were pretty good and I was proud of them (but not my best). Things to improve on: My sauce was a litty too spicy, I tryed to cook too much ( 3 whole briskets, 6 butts, 9 slabs of ribs, 12 chicken breasts and 20 thighs and legs.) Check my internal temps better. Solidkick suggestions helped save my brisket!. and turn in sliced pork and more bark.

The weather was lousy but my Spicewine smoker was kickin'. The wind was blowing so hard that it was pushing the smoke through the smoker backwards so I had to turn my stack vents backwards so the wind couldn't blow in from the top.

Brothers I am ready to go again I had so much fun and My wife and son both loved it too. We were going to try and get in 4 competitions this year and I am already going through the Bull Sheet to try and find more that we can go to . Thanks for all of your help
(I'M HOOKED)
Skip :D

Good job guys. And thanks for the pics, Kick.

Back