MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-15-2013, 02:10 PM   #1
george58
Found some matches.

Default Vision grills Kamado

Hi everyone, I new to the using a Kamado. I used to use an offset smoker/grill and just picked up the Kamado at Costco for $399.

I have been reading that people are using the Kamado Joe heat deflector and want to know which one. IS the the one for the Big Joe or the one for the Regular Joe?

Also, the firebox is one piece so the deflector sits higher than if you took the fire ring out of others to have sit lower. Does this effect smoking at all?

Thanks in advance.

George
george58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-15-2013, 03:56 PM   #2
DerHusker
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by george58 View Post
Hi everyone, I new to the using a Kamado. I used to use an offset smoker/grill and just picked up the Kamado at Costco for $399.

I have been reading that people are using the Kamado Joe heat deflector and want to know which one. IS the the one for the Big Joe or the one for the Regular Joe?

Also, the firebox is one piece so the deflector sits higher than if you took the fire ring out of others to have sit lower. Does this effect smoking at all?

Thanks in advance.

George
I have a Vision but don't have KJ deflector. (I went with the Ceramic Grill Store Adjustable Rig) I do know that it's the regular KJ deflector that would fit the Vision. I know allot of Vision owners use the KJ deflector and are happy with it.

Old 07-15-2013, 04:02 PM   #3
nucornhusker
Babbling Farker

Yep, the classic deflector, not the Big Joe. The Big Joe one wouldn't even fit inside.

Some people have Dremeled three dips where the extension rack rests on the firebox to make it flush. That simulates the way Kamado Joe designed theirs to work.

Old 07-15-2013, 04:17 PM   #4
ssv3
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Sako

I use the KJ deflector on my Vision. It does sit a bit higher but no issues at all with smoking.
Blackstone Griddle Retrofit
Blackstone Pizza Oven
WSJ(K) WGA(P) WJJ(CU) W22(BI) W26(CL)
Pit Barrer Junior
Kingsford Oval (resto mod)
ssv3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-15-2013, 04:21 PM   #5
Petro49er
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssv3 View Post
I use the KJ deflector on my Vision. It does sit a bit higher but no issues at all with smoking.
So do you just put it right on top of the fire box and then put the cooking grid on top of the deflector holder? My father in law got a Vision from Costco, but can't find the Vision lava stone in stock anywhere. If this will be a suitable replacement, I'll let him know.

Thanks.
Petro49er is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-15-2013, 06:23 PM   #6
ssv3

Yes

The kj bracket goes on the firebox

In goes the deflector

Then I set the grate on top

Here is a pic to give you an idea how high it sits. On this particular cook I got two pork butts, 3 racks of spares and 3 racks of baby backs. It was tight but the lid closed and all food smoked/cooked prefect.

Btw I prefer the KJ deflector. I'm not a fan of the Vision stone.
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Pit Barrer Junior

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-15-2013, 06:41 PM   #7
Petro49er
Found some matches.

Thanks for the photo. I can pass this along to him.
Petro49er is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-15-2013, 07:28 PM   #8
george58
Found some matches.

I was looking at a number of pictures of both Kamado Joe deflectors and it looks like the Big Joe is used because the rack has a triangle on top to put the grate and under it you can put a drip pan and the regular one doesn't have that. Here are a couple pictures. Also when I looked at pictures of it in the Vision is looked like it was the 15" instead of the 14". I measured the top of the firebox and it's 18" inside edge to inside edge. I'm trying not to order the wrong one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Big Joe.jpg (73.6 KB, 184 views)
File Type: jpg Regular Joe.jpg (34.0 KB, 185 views)

Old 07-15-2013, 07:49 PM   #9
drjiveturkey
On the road to being a farker

I would recommend getting the Vision deflector. It sits low enough were you can easily use both rack. I bought a BGE platesetter and it lifts the grates to about the same height as the KJ racks. Basically the main grate gets lifted to where the secondary grate would have been. Thats fine, but when you want to use both grates things get much tighter.
drjiveturkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-15-2013, 08:36 PM   #10
ssv3

Actually the second rack sits higher than that. I've cooked with the KJ deflector and both racks in place with no issues. Depends how you set up your meat.
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Pit Barrer Junior

Old 07-17-2013, 08:53 AM   #11
george58
Found some matches.

The one on the left is for the Big Joe and the one on the right is for the regular Joe. Is it just the picture or do they have different racks. The one on the left allows for a drip pan. Does the one on the right? That's where my confusion is.

I'm trying to avoid ordering the wrong one.

Thanks.

Old 07-17-2013, 01:45 PM   #12
george58
Found some matches.

I got the reular one and it's perfect. Thanks everyone for you information.

Old 07-17-2013, 03:26 PM   #13
parski
Got rid of the matchlight.

Default Temporary heat deflector

I am using the Oneida large pizza stone with rack. $14.99 at Bed Bath & Beyond, until The one from Vision Grills is back in stock.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0654.JPG (121.6 KB, 158 views)
parski is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-17-2013, 05:05 PM   #14
sroderic
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I generally use both racks sitting on top of the KJ heat deflector. You have to be careful of rack placement to be sure the lid closes (if rack is offset just a bit, it gets in the way of the lid when closing), but it works. I went with the KJ deflector instead of the Vision one due to size; Vision stone diameter is smaller, creating a zone around the rim that is more direct heat than deflected heat.
sroderic is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2013, 05:16 PM   #15
Yellowhair42
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by george58 View Post
I was looking at a number of pictures of both Kamado Joe deflectors and it looks like the Big Joe is used because the rack has a triangle on top to put the grate and under it you can put a drip pan and the regular one doesn't have that. Here are a couple pictures. Also when I looked at pictures of it in the Vision is looked like it was the 15" instead of the 14". I measured the top of the firebox and it's 18" inside edge to inside edge. I'm trying not to order the wrong one.

I just made my own on Sat and my firebox is 16" inside edge to inside edge.Are you sure about that dimension?

Tags
Kamado, vision kamado, Vision Kamado Costco