Hamburger Buns.

Wesman61

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Lately I've wondered why I don't see hamburger buns in the store that are like what some restaurants use. Places like some micro brewery's and Red Robin have nicer tasting buns than what is available in grocery stores. I haven't tried the specialty bread from the grocery store bakery though. Any tips on some upscale buns?

I admit I look for the good deal which means they are usually small and suck. I need to find a good bakery.

Same here. I've also thought about finding a bakery and talking to the Baker to pick their brain a little.

:doh:They're supposed to taste good???Thought that just being a pork-delivery system,cheaper=better.......T
Funny! :laugh: My Friend says popcorn is just a holder for salt.

JMSetzler said:
If you want to get a little more ambitious, here's a place you can start:

http://www.breadmachinediva.com/2010...chine-updated/

I tried this recipe recently with excellent results...
Gonna have to try this one. We bought some potato rolls at Costco today. We'll try those first and see how they turn out. America's Test Kitchen recommends them.

I always throw my buns on the grill or smoker right before dinner to toast them. Makes the crappiest bun taste good.

I do that too. I used to frequent a burger joint that made the best burgers so I started spying and asking questions. Firstly I noticed they used Webers brand buns. They don't carry those here in Idaho but I realized that the important thing was that they were a tad sweeter than other brands. The sugar browns when they are toasted. When I get buns for burgers I smell them for sweetness. Everything else was common knowledge.

I think the .99 packs taste pretty good! LOL!

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk

I would find a local joint in your area that isn't a chain that has buns that you like. Then see if they will let you know who their supplier is. Then you can call them and see if they sell to grocery stores, or maybe have a retail outlet.

Luckily in the Chicagoland area, we have lots of options. Good Luck!

I saw some buns at Walmart in the bakery section called hard rolls. They were the size and shape of burger buns and smelt good. I'll try those out next.

@chicagokp, I thought about doing that at TGIFridays today. I got a KC BBQ burger that was tasty.

I like Ciabatta buns.

JazzHamburgers-platedx.jpg

I'm still trying to find pretzel rolls around here.

Saw em at Whole Foods - much more than .99 though.
I like Kaiser rolls from stores that have their own bakeries, and if you toast those you get a nice crusty bun for your burger.

Most of the places around here that have buns I like bake their own.

Back