MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-11-2011, 10:41 AM   #1
drewcountry
Found some matches.

Default Brisket Hot and Fast?

So I'm Q'n for my staff at work and I figured that a brisket is the only way to go. I made a mistake about two years ago and let my smoker get hot while I was mowing the lawn. It was running about 350 for 2 hours (big yard) when I caught it. I checked the temp of the meat and it was done. To my shock it was really good. I have heard there is a better science to smoking hot and fast. Can anybody give me an idea of some times and degrees for this? I don't want to just try this by luck again. I am serving for lunch and I don't have the time to smoke for 18-22 hours. Any help from some Brethren?

Big Drew's BBQ
drewcountry is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-11-2011, 11:27 AM   #2
Midnight Smoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

I have not done one that way, yet. But try going to the bottom of the page on the forum and do a Google search (searches within the Brethren Site) and type in "Hot and Fast Brisket"

*** Terry ~ aka Pork Smoker ***

** XL-BGE Hatched 06/20/2008 09:42 pm **
* Couple Weber Kettles, CharGriller, UDS *
* Ultra Fast Red Thermapen *
Projects
Kamado Restoration
Bandera Restoration

Midnight Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-11-2011, 11:37 AM   #4
JD McGee
somebody shut me the fark up.

Hot and fast is my preferred method...
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-11-2011, 11:49 AM   #5
Cook
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jay

I don't know enough to say that hot & fast is "better" science, but I do know that it produces brisket that is pretty darn good.

The last 1/2 packer I cooked (the flat end) was finished in 5-5.5 hours. I have no idea what the temperature was...I just cooked it where the pit was cruising (and it was pretty hot to the touch).

Beef can tend to shrink a bit more under high temps than low. So be aware of that.
Cook is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-11-2011, 08:42 PM   #6
Captain P.J.
Full Fledged Farker

I did a 12lb whole packer on my 22.5" wsm at 285-300* and it was done in about 8 hours. Best of luck!