MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 01-11-2016, 11:37 AM   #1
chefman316
On the road to being a farker

Question Prepping and freezing meats...

What is your opinion on trimming and freezing meats for your competitions? Does it effect your cook? How long can you do it ahead of time? Do you prep and freeze all types of meat (Brisket, Chicken, Ribs, Pork)?
[COLOR=sienna][B]Member: [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=black]KCBS, NBBQA, IFT, Research Chefs Association [COLOR=#008000][B]CBJ#: [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=black]80380[/COLOR][/COLOR]

[COLOR=royalblue][B]*Contact us for sponsorship opportunities*[/B][/COLOR]
[URL]http://axemenbbq.com/2015/12/14/axe-men-bbq-now-part-of-the-bbq-brethren/[/URL]
chefman316 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-11-2016, 12:20 PM   #2
BigBellyBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

never ever freeze chicken, brisket will keep vacuum packed not frozen for a couple weeks, pork will freeze okay, just as long not frozen before....I like trimming a partial frozen butt or brisket, it is easier for me...

Old 01-11-2016, 12:58 PM   #3
sweetracks
Full Fledged Farker

I know a guy who freezes multiple contests worth of chicken and he does pretty good...I've done chicken and not noticed any difference. I think as long as you vacuum seal it afterwards, you'll be fine.

Old 01-11-2016, 01:01 PM   #4
Jorge
somebody shut me the fark up.

When I purchase frozen meat I try to keep it frozen until I need it, then try not to freeze it again unless something prevents me from cooking.

Unless you can flash freeze it, you are doing damage at the cellular level when freezing in a typical freezer in the home.

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-11-2016, 01:41 PM   #5
Scottie
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I don't have a special freezer or do anything special when I freeze. I am completely opposite of another poster and will freeze anything, except pork. Although I have won 2 first place awards with frozen pork, so maybe I should do it more. I've had a little competition success with frozen meats overy the years. But I understand what George is saying. But we are adding g so much moisture and moisture retention, I dont think it really comes in to play.

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Homer Simpson 22 " Weber Kettle
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle
Black 26 3/4" Weber Kettle
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-11-2016, 01:57 PM   #6
Fat Freddy
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Fred

I dont want to miss speak or even speak for him, but I have heard on radio interviews that a very successful competitor, who is a Brethren and also a BUTCHER by trade has no problem freezing most if not all his comp meat. I figure if he has no problem then I dont either because he knows a whole lot more about meat than I do.

Old 01-11-2016, 02:16 PM   #7
Jorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
I dont want to miss speak or even speak for him, but I have heard on radio interviews that a very successful competitor, who is a Brethren and also a BUTCHER by trade has no problem freezing most if not all his comp meat. I figure if he has no problem then I dont either because he knows a whole lot more about meat than I do.
This link covers it briefly.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ghlight=freeze

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-11-2016, 02:19 PM   #8
INmitch
is one Smokin' Farker

I freeze ck & ribs. I only did 7 comps last year. I trimmed chicken in march for the first 6 comps. Last of that batch got used the last week of September and tied for 1st at Murphysboro IL. Month before had 1st place in Madison IN. I HATE trimming chicken and it is kind of nice getting it all done at once and out of the way.

Old 01-11-2016, 02:45 PM   #9
Right on Q
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by INmitch View Post
I freeze ck & ribs. I only did 7 comps last year. I trimmed chicken in march for the first 6 comps. Last of that batch got used the last week of September and tied for 1st at Murphysboro IL. Month before had 1st place in Madison IN. I HATE trimming chicken and it is kind of nice getting it all done at once and out of the way.
This is a great idea. I may try that this year.

Old 01-11-2016, 03:49 PM   #10
Mac Attack BBQ
Knows what a fatty is.

I always prep, vac seal, and freeze several comps worth of chicken. Finished top 25 in the country last year. I don't believe I used 'fresh' (chicken that I didn't freeze) in 19 comps last season.

Old 01-11-2016, 04:54 PM   #11
sitnfat
is one Smokin' Farker

Best burnt chicken I ever saw.

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-11-2016, 04:57 PM   #12
Jason TQ

I have frozen it all at some point. But for butts and brisket they are easy for me to knock out right before we go. I do freeze chicken pretty regularly and our scores are the same when we freeze to when we didn't. It's so nice to just grab a pack of chicken that is ready to go.
3 Hunsaker Drums
Big Green Egg XL
Pitboss Copperhead 5
Pitboss Whiskey Still
Pitboss Tailgater
Jason TQ is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-11-2016, 05:28 PM   #13
cpw
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Chad

All of our comp meat is frozen at some point in the process, but I don't ever freeze/thaw/freeze.
Yoder YS640
Savannah, GA
Yes, Dear BBQ on Facebook
Proudly sponsored by Royal Oak Charcoal and The Atlanta BBQ store
cpw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-11-2016, 07:06 PM   #14
Ribeye Republic
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
He has the capability of flash freezing, which makes a difference.
LSG Insulated Cabinet - Big Red
Ribeye Republic is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-11-2016, 07:50 PM   #15
BigBellyBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

I never liked the color of the area around the bone on chicken when it has been frozen, it turns black. The other thing is I do not soak chicken, there fore possibility of having drier meat. For the way I cook frozen chicken I try to stay away from. Fresh from the farms seems to stay juicier. Just try a practice cook at the same time to see if there is a difference. on my test cook, everyone (3 people) picked the frozen from the fresh, try before you knock it, fresh is better for me,

Tags
bbq, beef, chicken, freeze, kcbs, meat, pork, trim