FEC-300 vs. Ole Hickory

I put one log in at night for the overnight cook and that log was all it took since the OH and SP use gas for the primary heat source with the logs providing the smoke. .

Does one log last - and smoke - all night?

Same question, asked differently - how long would a large log (say 8" diameter by 12" long) smoke before being burned up by the fire?

This question applies to both OH and SP pits.

I have an FEC-500. I've cooked on Southern Prides as well on multiple occasions. In a commerical setting, the FEC-300,500,750 is the only choice for me. This summer we cooked 500+ lbs of pork butt and got a 64% yield. It is a fact that a pellet pit has a better average yield than gas or wood/charcoal.

Very intriguing Todd... "it is a fact"... Why is the yield higher in a pellet pit? I'm not doubting you, just curious about the reason. That's a pretty big savings in a commercial environment.

Did you trim any fat cap off these butts?

The big FEC pits smoke differently from the 100's, too. You get a better smoke at higher temps, which isn't true with pellet grills and smaller pits. I get great smoke off of the 500 running at 250 degrees. I agree that it is hard to compare the 100 and the big FEC pits.

I never realized this! I too am shopping for a big commercial pit to expand my catering operations and I was leaning towards OH / SP just because of the greater control over the amount of smoke flavour - and perceived "level" of smoke flavour from the logs. My pellet experience is only with the FEC100 and Traeger... So if this is true it helps with my decision...

Very intriguing Todd... "it is a fact"... Why is the yield higher in a pellet pit? I'm not doubting you, just curious about the reason. That's a pretty big savings in a commercial environment.

Did you trim any fat cap off these butts?

What I've been told is that gas robs moisture from the air while a pellet fire doesn't. You'd have to ask Fast Eddy or Cookshack or maybe Candy Sue why that is. I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Did not trim fat cap. You know how much work it is to trim on 500+ lbs of butts. Yikes! I was just happy when it was all over. That was a lot of pork! We did 800 the year before.

EDIT: The 64% was AFTER we pulled everything and bagged it. Fat was removed after cooking and before weighing. Just to be clear.

I never realized this! I too am shopping for a big commercial pit to expand my catering operations and I was leaning towards OH / SP just because of the greater control over the amount of smoke flavour - and perceived "level" of smoke flavour from the logs. My pellet experience is only with the FEC100 and Traeger... So if this is true it helps with my decision...

A pellet pit and a stick pit will be different. They are two different animals. I love the food that comes off of that big pellet pit, though. I've said more than once that I'd like to take my 100's off of the competition trailer and replace with a FEC-300. That would be the perfect comp machine for me having spent time with the FEC-500.

What I've been told is that gas robs moisture from the air while a pellet fire doesn't. You'd have to ask Fast Eddy or Cookshack or maybe Candy Sue why that is. I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

That make sense based on a conversation I had with Eddy last year...

I have a had a long agonizing look about this myself. I personally would go with the FEC but the Ole Hickory is a fine machine. This is based on watching friends who have bussiness and use both kinds of smokers every day. When ever my wife finally says yes to the resturaunt it will be a FEC, but I do not like the rotissere in the FEC 300. I would like a little more room between shelfs. Part of the overall decision for me is based on it's easier to get pellets in certain flavors cheaper than wood.

I have an FEC-500. I've cooked on Southern Prides as well on multiple occasions. In a commerical setting, the FEC-300,500,750 is the only choice for me. This summer we cooked 500+ lbs of pork butt and got a 64% yield. It is a fact that a pellet pit has a better average yield than gas or wood/charcoal.

I'll cook 12,000 pounds of brisket & 14,000 pounds of pork this year on my 2 FEC-500's alomg with roughly 5000 pork steaks, 500 slabs of ribs and many brats, hot dogs and side dishes. There is NO better brisket machine.

Oh yeah, chicken is good too!

IF you had to choose one to have in your restaurant, which would you choose and why?

Being partial to Pellets I would say FEC, I on the other had would probably opt for the 500. You will probably grow into it. Why? 100% hardwood cooking, consistant cooking, no matter who is doing it...Would not have to worry if I put in the correct amount of stick to suppliment the gas with the Ole Hickory. Wish I could tell you one was more efficent then the other, dont know...Did I mention consistant cooks each and every time no matter who is doing the cooking? Do you ever want to vacation?

We have only been open for a little over 4 months (Q-to-U-BBQ in Anthem, AZ), but I love our FEC 500. The easy of use and I can train others to do my job. Did I mention that it is very consistent.

For me, the pellets are easier to store and actually easier to get than hickory here in the desert. FYI I go through one 40 lb bag a day.

We have only been open for a little over 4 months (Q-to-U-BBQ in Anthem, AZ), but I love our FEC 500. The easy of use and I can train others to do my job. Did I mention that it is very consistent.

For me, the pellets are easier to store and actually easier to get than hickory here in the desert. FYI I go through one 40 lb bag a day.

Gotta be cleaner to store pellets than logs and charcoal. Logs sometimes come with bugs, too.

It would be interesting to know how cost effective one is from the other as well...say for instance a 12 hour smoke with pellets vs a 12 hour smoke with gas and logs...:idea: If folks are going to be running these things 8-16 hours or more per day the cost savings could be a major factor in purchasing. Along the same lines I would also be looking into warranty, reliability, and service...:p

Back