My TD gone bad.....But saved PR0N

Bluesman

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
So I started out to do the Smoke Ring TD and thought..........mmmmm, Turkey breast and legs sound good. With that I used the Patio Daddio brine mix, soaked overnight, and then onto my UDS and some lump over cherry. Every thing was going as planned.....:bow: I was going to be a hero. Pulled the legs and they looked fabulous. then I grabbed the breast. And I must say that was one fine looking breast..........:icon_blush: But then truth came to bare.......were the fark is my smoke ring............:twitch: No smoke ring, no wonderful essence of cooking...............:mmph: So, dismayed, I cut it up, plated and had dinner:tsk: Well everyday brings a new dawn and with that ideas..........:hand: This can be salvaged.....yes we have the technology...........Turkey Pot Pie..............:clap2: So, the PR0N of my epic fail and then Phoenix rising........

Turkey in the Brine
100_1613-1.jpg

On the UDS
100_1617.jpg

Legs finished....didn't get the breast........I was, was...........:tsk:
100_1620.jpg

What next?...........Pot Pie!............:clap2:
100_1621.jpg

Veggies chopped. Onion, Celery, Carrot and Red Pepper
100_1623.jpg

Dough ready
100_1625.jpg

Pie plate ready
100_1626.jpg

Chicken Stock and turkey Gravy for the Roux mix
100_1624.jpg

Roux ready
100_1628.jpg

Pie plate filled with goodies
100_1629.jpg

Top crust added
100_1630.jpg

In between the last picture and this one, our sump pump blew up, while the pie was in the oven. That's a story for the WP. all cooked
100_1631.jpg

Finally after three days lets eat!
100_1633.jpg

That just might be the best looking failure I've ever seen. Give me a glass of sweet tea and I would be all over that.

Way to rebound!!

Looks good but I personally would not have chosen chicken for a smoke ring TD. Try my speed brisket link and I bet you'll win. I can't do it by the weekend.

What a save! That pot pie is just beautiful.

I think the problem with your turkey and the missing smoke ring was the mutant turkey... 4 legs and breast??? Just kidding :grin:

Bluesman, that is some awesome looking pot pie you got there. Very, very nice!!

Brian

Rings are round.

Pies are round.

There you go.

This service brought to you free of charge by bigabyte, the loophole lunatic.

Then there may be a technical loophole that would still allow the entry? this needs further investigation............:heh:

Great save, but I really think you're gonna need a lot more red peppers and sliced up smaller. :thumb:

awwww, the sign of a good cook, adjusting on the fly, nice recovery! Looks delicious.

duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude, that is so much better than smoked chicken plain.

Nice save! Impressed, saw the lard for your crust-REAL pie crust!
Nice looking filling base, I would skip the jar next time and go all in with a quick roux, skip the butter and use the lard!!
How many did you feed with that monster pie, anyhow?

Back