A Simply Marvelous mistake

chambersuac

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
I don't post in Qtalk much anymore, but wanted to share this accidental discovery with you. Some of you may remember that I am a huge fan of the Simply Marvelous line. I haven't found anything better on pork than S.M. Spicy Apple. Earlier this week, I picked up a rack of baby backs that were on sale for $2.49/lb. I usually cook St. Louis style, but wanted something different, and the price was right. Anyway, I reached for my shaker if S.M. Spicy Apple and started applying it, and noticed it looked "off." I tasted it, and it tasted "off," as well. Looking at the shaker, I realized I had grabbed my shaker of S.M. The Genie's Trinity" instead of Spicy Apple. I wept uncontrollably. Not really. But, never having used The Genie's Trinity on pork before, I called an audible (which woke up and freaked out my dog) and decided to add a layer of S.M. Cherry, which is my second favorite on pork. I said a prayer. I thought about sprinkling it with holy water, but figured that wouldn't be good for the rub adhesion. After firing up the grill with a mix of fruit wood, I gently laid my accidental experiment into its bath of thin, blue smoke.

If you're still awake and reading this, here's the payoff: they were fantastic. No,pix of the finished ones, because, well I forgot. We were hungry. Anyway, cooked at about 4 hours at an average of 250 degrees.

Maybe the moral of this story is that you can never go wrong if you're using Simply Marvelous rubs. At least I like that better than the point being that I was careless and lucked out.

If you haven't already, do yourself a favor and get you some Simply Marvelous stuff.

Attachments

• 5596986F-D5A4-4B99-A0F3-523F820D3DC2.jpg
    5596986F-D5A4-4B99-A0F3-523F820D3DC2.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 471
  • 26166BB2-0991-4226-9388-CEA67958868B.jpg
    26166BB2-0991-4226-9388-CEA67958868B.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 468
Thanks for the info, Dan! Looks and sounds delicious
Great to see you cooking again!

Simply Marvelous rubs layered are a tasty sensation!

I love Steph's rubs. Excellent, high quality product.

Glad to see you cookin', Brother Dan!!

Happy to see that you are still able to play with fire. Congrats on the delicious discovery and for the tip.

what on earth are moink balls!? They look awesome!

Well, they ARE awesome. MOINK balls (capital letters officially) are a bit more than meatballs wrapped in bacon. BTW, Moo + Oink=“MOINK”

They are extremely easy to make and are always a hit. Here’s how they are done “originally and officially”:
You will need some pre-made, fully cooked beef meatballs which are available in most supermarkets in the frozen section, some bacon, your favorite rub, toothpicks/skewers, and glaze (I’ll say more about that later). Thaw the meatballs. Wrap each meatball in bacon - I use half a slice per meatball. That seems to work well and give a good “moo” to “oink” ratio for most store-bought meatballs. You may use a whole slice if you prefer. Use a toothpick or skewer to hold the bacon on. Apply your favorite rub or seasoning and smoke until the bacon is too your preferred level of crispness. Since the meatballs are precooked, there’s no need to worry about the internal temp, as they will be done when bacon is done.
MOINK balls are delicious at this stage, but, there is another step officially: the glaze. The creator of MOINK balls used a blackberry jelly based glaze, IIRC, but I typically use an Apple/jalapeño glaze. I make it by mixing equal parts jalapeño jelly and apple jelly (when I lived in IL, I couldn’t find jalapeño jelly, but Walmart sold a red “Hot Pepper Jelly,” which works well. If you can heat them together on your grill or smoker, great, but they can be cooked together in the stove or microwave. I prefer the smoker/grill to get the extra smokiness. YMMV. You may add a little apple juice to thin the glaze, if you desire, but I usually don’t. Drizzle the glaze over the MOINK balls when they are finished cooking. Enjoy.
Note: experiment with other glazes or sauces if you wish. I usually glaze half and leave the other half naked and serve ofter sauces in the side. My wife likes BBQ sauce. My son likes ranch dressing. I serve those on the side for dipping. A buddy likes when I mix BBQ sauce with ranch, so I offer that if he’s around. DO YOURSELF A FAVOR: figure out how many MOINK balls you think will be eaten, and cook about twice as you think you need. They go FAST. I’ve had parties where they never made it inside the house, because they were flocked to. If you do have leftovers, the reheat well.

Hope this helps and that you give them a try!

Well, they ARE awesome. MOINK balls (capital letters officially) are a bit more than meatballs wrapped in bacon. BTW, Moo + Oink=“MOINK”

They are extremely easy to make and are always a hit. Here’s how they are done “originally and officially”:
You will need some pre-made, fully cooked beef meatballs which are available in most supermarkets in the frozen section, some bacon, your favorite rub, toothpicks/skewers, and glaze (I’ll say more about that later). Thaw the meatballs. Wrap each meatball in bacon - I use half a slice per meatball. That seems to work well and give a good “moo” to “oink” ratio for most store-bought meatballs. You may use a whole slice if you prefer. Use a toothpick or skewer to hold the bacon on. Apply your favorite rub or seasoning and smoke until the bacon is too your preferred level of crispness. Since the meatballs are precooked, there’s no need to worry about the internal temp, as they will be done when bacon is done.
MOINK balls are delicious at this stage, but, there is another step officially: the glaze. The creator of MOINK balls used a blackberry jelly based glaze, IIRC, but I typically use an Apple/jalapeño glaze. I make it by mixing equal parts jalapeño jelly and apple jelly (when I lived in IL, I couldn’t find jalapeño jelly, but Walmart sold a red “Hot Pepper Jelly,” which works well. If you can heat them together on your grill or smoker, great, but they can be cooked together in the stove or microwave. I prefer the smoker/grill to get the extra smokiness. YMMV. You may add a little apple juice to thin the glaze, if you desire, but I usually don’t. Drizzle the glaze over the MOINK balls when they are finished cooking. Enjoy.
Note: experiment with other glazes or sauces if you wish. I usually glaze half and leave the other half naked and serve ofter sauces in the side. My wife likes BBQ sauce. My son likes ranch dressing. I serve those on the side for dipping. A buddy likes when I mix BBQ sauce with ranch, so I offer that if he’s around. DO YOURSELF A FAVOR: figure out how many MOINK balls you think will be eaten, and cook about twice as you think you need. They go FAST. I’ve had parties where they never made it inside the house, because they were flocked to. If you do have leftovers, the reheat well.

Hope this helps and that you give them a try!

There used to be an Official MOINK Ball Certificate given to anyone who did them. Need to bring that back.

Dan the ribs look Great! Hope you make the Bash soon! :thumb:

Never a mistake, Dan.
Mearly going off the beaten path.

But now you have to repeat the adventure measuring it so you know how to recreate it every time. :clap:

Looks great!
Oh, and... welcome to the Human Race.

Never a mistake, Dan.
Mearly going off the beaten path.

But now you have to repeat the adventure measuring it so you know how to recreate it every time. :clap:

Looks great!
Oh, and... welcome to the Human Race.

Oh man, I never measure. I keep saying I’m gonna start, but I never do. I don’t make notes, either, which I know if dumb.

As far as welcoming me to the Human Race, if making mistakes makes me human, then I am more human than anyone. :)

There is no wrong version of SM! That's the one line of rubs where I pretty much have evey kind in stock at all times. Great on their own and they play nicely together as well.

Great to see you cooking, Dan! Feast and enjoy, brother! :clap2:

Back