"Raising the Steaks" Throwdown (Entry & Discussion Thread) LASTS Through Monday, March 11th!!

LYU370

Resident Idjit

Batch Image
Staff member
Reaction score
Our New Throwdown Category is...

"Raising the Steaks!"

ribeye-td-v2.jpg

This was sudsandswie's entry in the 2020 Ribeye Steak Cook-Off Throwdown.

As chosen by SmokinAussie for winning the "Hot & Spicy Chicken" Throwdown.

CATEGORY DESCRIPTION - PLEASE READ:

SmokinAussie said:
How about if we Raise the Steaks? Cook whatever type of steak you'd like. Standard throwdown rules apply.

You may submit entries that are cooked from Friday 2/23 through Monday 3/11.

Entry pictures must be submitted by Noon Central US Time on Monday 3/11.

Click here to read the rules for the BBQ Brethren Throwdowns...

Best of luck and even better eats to all!

Last edited by a moderator:
It's done type of a question but a serious one. Does country/chicken fried steak or Salisbury steak qualify? Technically it's beef but I feel like it's on the fence. I feel like doing something different and frankly I'm tired of eating/making steak in general. I'm serious :behindsofa:

It's done type of a question but a serious one. Does country/chicken fried steak or Salisbury steak qualify? Technically it's beef but I feel like it's on the fence. I feel like doing something different and frankly I'm tired of eating/making steak in general. I'm serious :behindsofa:

I would say as long as you fry it outdoors in a cast iron dutch oven on a grill, it should qualify. I agree, im tired of doing steaks. And it seems like everyone and their grandmother is doing Tomahawk Ribeye steaks. Its played out in my opinion.

After discussing with Bill, he wanted me to have some input as well since we were co-winners. We decided that if it's commonly known or sold as a steak it's good to go, if it sold as a chop, sorry. Lamb chops & pork chops, no. Lamb leg steak & pork steak yes. Tuna steak, Salsbury steak, country fried steak.. That's what they're known as. Salmon steak, yes. Salmon fillet, no.

If it's commonly referred to as a "steak" it's good. Does that clear things up? As always, standard throwdown rules apply.

After discussing with Bill, he wanted me to have some input as well since we were co-winners. We decided that if it's commonly known or sold as a steak it's good to go, if it sold as a chop, sorry. Lamb chops & pork chops, no. Lamb leg steak & pork steak yes. Tuna steak, Salsbury steak, country fried steak.. That's what they're known as. Salmon steak, yes. Salmon fillet, no.

If it's commonly referred to as a "steak" it's good. Does that clear things up? As always, standard throwdown rules apply.

Hear you loud and clear. Thanks Andy! And Bill!

So I decided that I want to join this throwdown. I need another zero lol. It happened to be that there was a sale on ribeye's at the onset of this TD. I grabbed some ribeye's and trimmed them up. Took the spinalis off and turned them into medallions. Tied the steaks and reverse seared them to get the internals at a beautiful rare steaks. I was not able to get a good pic of the steaks after cutting them as I served them whole. The cap steaks (spinalis medallions) did not photograph well after cooking them so I left them out.

Here is the same photo that I posted above, this is me trimming and processing the steaks up getting them ready:

This is the main ribeye seasoned up and waiting its turn:

Here are the Cap steaks seasoned and waiting as well, they photograph so much better before cooking:

The internals were slow cooked and brought up to 115f internal and then grilled to get the amazing flavor on the surface:

The final result, which I devoured soon after this image was taken. Came out perfectly. Personally I like NY Strip steaks. But this is possibly one of the best ribeye steaks that I have ever made.

I would like to use this photo as my submission to this throwdown!!!

Thank you for reading!

- G

PS: This throwdown made me create an instagram cooking page. CookingWithGammaReis. Shoot me a follow~!

Woo Hoo! Nice first entry! I'd still like to see those other ones though! They were a great idea!

You might be tired of cooking and eating your steaks but we are not tired of watching you do it. :mmph:

So get on with it!

GIVE US STEAK!:cool:

Awesome post G! Steaks looking killer!

Thanks so much, they were fun to make. But I have started to annoy my family with all the photos that I take. My daughter gets annoyed when I am plating she says "Great only another 30 minutes till dinner so dad can take photos".

Woo Hoo! Nice first entry! I'd still like to see those other ones though! They were a great idea!

Thank you~! I will do them again, Next time I will sear them in a cast iron pan over the grill to get a crust on them. With the smoke and the reduced surface area they did not photograph well. Here is a pic of one that I plated, I didnt like how it looked. I did though put some Au Jus on it and it looked better but the gravy covers it up alot. .. Heck I dunno.

You know what. . . Screw it, I would also like to enter this image as a second entry into this throwdown.

As many throwdowns many of us have lost to you. I wanna see what you're gonna make. Do it~!!!

- G

I get weird looks too when I snap photos or especially when someone sees my camera roll. About 90% food and car pics :laugh:

:redface: I'll tell you what, it's going to be hard to beat with what you put out. :nod: :clap2: Spinalis dorsi especially looking mighty fine. :hungry:

Thanks so much, they were fun to make. But I have started to annoy my family with all the photos that I take. My daughter gets annoyed when I am plating she says "Great only another 30 minutes till dinner so dad can take photos".

Thank you~! I will do them again, Next time I will sear them in a cast iron pan over the grill to get a crust on them. With the smoke and the reduced surface area they did not photograph well. Here is a pic of one that I plated, I didnt like how it looked. I did though put some Au Jus on it and it looked better but the gravy covers it up alot. .. Heck I dunno.

You know what. . . Screw it, I would also like to enter this image as a second entry into this throwdown.

As many throwdowns many of us have lost to you. I wanna see what you're gonna make. Do it~!!!

- G

Back