• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

UDS build question

chambersuac

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
I know that there is an extensive UDS thread...and I've read a lot of it, but don't know if this has been addressed. If so, please forgive me for rehashing it.
I don't have the materials to build a fire basket, nor the know-how, I guess. I also don't know how I can get one made around here. So, I am wondering if I could get by with using something like a Weber Smokey Joe to hold the fire????

I started out using an old wire milk crate. I have seen a picture on here where someone else used an egg basket.

8.jpg

I know that there is an extensive UDS thread...and I've read a lot of it, but don't know if this has been addressed. If so, please forgive me for rehashing it.
I don't have the materials to build a fire basket, nor the know-how, I guess. I also don't know how I can get one made around here. So, I am wondering if I could get by with using something like a Weber Smokey Joe to hold the fire????

If you can find some expanded metal, boar clips, and charcoal grate you should be able to put something together for yourself.

I took a charcoal grate from a kettle and wrapped expanded around it 6" high and attached the two with those boar clips.

FireBox.JPG

I am sure you could find a fabricator that could throw something together for you.

You'll need a piece of expanded metal 6" to 10" wide, about 44" long, available at most welding shops. Roll it around an old propane tank to form it. Use the charcoal grate from an old webber for the bottom and use some bolts and washers and wire to hold it together and support it off the bottom of the barrel. You can do it. I must admit however, I would have used one of those milk crates if I could have found one.

Home Depot or Lowe's carries everything you need...The expanded metal, the bolts, the charcoal grates...just wear gloves when handling the expanded metal...it can get sharp.

Try calling some of the welding shops in either Peoria or in Bloomington/Normal. One of them should have some scrap laying about. Don't rule out metal recycling/scrap yards either.

I got a 16" x 54" piece locally from a welding shop for $5.

Chris

Try calling some of the welding shops in either Peoria or in Bloomington/Normal. One of them should have some scrap laying about. Don't rule out metal recycling/scrap yards either.

I got a 16" x 54" piece locally from a welding shop for $5.

Chris

Yeah, when I went to the shop to get some expanded metal, he already had some smaller baskets made up for people to use in gassers.

Home Depot or Lowe's carries everything you need...The expanded metal, the bolts, the charcoal grates...

Be prepared for blank stares when you ask for expanded metal at Home Depot though - even though I know they sell it, I was told by two sales 'associates' and 'the guy who does all the ordering for the store' that 'there's no such thing.' Even though I'd purchased it at other Home Depots - I'd forgotten what department it was in. Wound up buying it on Ebay...

Be prepared for blank stares when you ask for expanded metal at Home Depot though - even though I know they sell it, I was told by two sales 'associates' and 'the guy who does all the ordering for the store' that 'there's no such thing.' Even though I'd purchased it at other Home Depots - I'd forgotten what department it was in. Wound up buying it on Ebay...
The orange box has it in their small "bulk steel" section with the threaded rod and such.

Basket

I made a quick cheap basket. Get your expanded metal from most large hardwear stores or metal fab. shops. Get some 1/4 in. bolts,nuts and flat washers for sides. Get 4, 1/2 in. bolts, flat washers and nuts for the legs, 4 inches long at least. Draw it out on paper so you dont make any costly mistakes. When you decide how wide and how tall, cut a peice that will be the two sides and the bottom, bend it twice for those three sides. Cut two more pieces, add two inches for the sides, one inch for the bottom on each one. Make those bends and bolt the thing together. Wah-La... If not you can go with the round style as stated in one of the other posts. If you go to the metal fab shop, Im sure they would shear the expanded metal for you, even the bends can be done there. I'll post a couple of pics...... Rez:cool:

basket pic

pic of basket for UDS

Attachments

• Basket 1.JPG
    Basket 1.JPG
    132.1 KB · Views: 49
  • Basket 2.JPG
    Basket 2.JPG
    132.8 KB · Views: 49
basket

Basket for UDS ( TRUDY )

Attachments

• Basket 3.JPG
    Basket 3.JPG
    143.7 KB · Views: 49
  • Basket 4, Pat. Pen..JPG
    Basket 4, Pat. Pen..JPG
    143.4 KB · Views: 49
Basket

Trudy and soon to be ( Unknown name here ).

Attachments

• UDS Pair.JPG
    UDS Pair.JPG
    108.7 KB · Views: 48
Basket

Trudy is on youtube. My channel is, Rezvordwg, the vid is, Blues, Booze and BBQ. You can see the basket loaded, and fired. ....Rez:cool:

Caution to those using milk crates...I would not recommend using any that have been galvanized...or for that matter...any parts in a UDS that have been galvanized...
Bad smoke, brother....bad smoke...

Thanks, everyone! I think I might be able to do it after all. Ain't the Brethren great?!?

Caution to those using milk crates...I would not recommend using any that have been galvanized...or for that matter...any parts in a UDS that have been galvanized...
Bad smoke, brother....bad smoke...

If 'ya get the sniffles, just drink a glass of milk. I have welded it without any problems. I never would have before but I did a little research. Someone posted the material data sheet for zinc I think a few weeks ago, could be mistaken.

While its good to err on the side of safety, a couple of bolts, etc. is not going to 'cause you any problems. IMHO

But what do I know, I'm the one planning to build a cooker on a truck frame and drive it! maybe you shouldn't take safety advice from me.

The orange box has it in their small "bulk steel" section with the threaded rod and such.

Not around my way it isn't. I tried Home Depot, Menard's, and Lowe's and neither had expanded metal and looked at me like I was an alien for asking.

I found some at an Ace Hardware.

Back