"Prime" Prime Rib

Will be firing up the WSM at about 1:30 - 2:00, figure to put it on at about 3:00 hoping to be finished around 7:00 to hit the dinner table at 8:00.

Pr0n to follow--thanks all

Personally, I would put this on an hour early just to have the cushion. It will hold in a low oven, if it gets done early.

Good luck!

The term, "prime rib" was coined years before the USDA grading system that uses the descriptive terms such as: prime, choice, select or cutter, was established. The term prime rib tells the buyer that the roast was cut between the 6th and 12th ribs inclusive. This means you can have a prime rib roast from any grade of beef. This also means that roasts cut from the carcass containing ribs other than the 6th through 12th should be referred to as standing rib roasts.

For more information, check out this URL:

http://old.cbbqa.org/articles/PrimeRib.html

Ok--done and dusted--had a few issues but in the end all went well. Took almost two hours for the cooker to come to temp so was a bit behind schedule...but 3:15 meat in the cooker

IMG_0469_zps37de64c6.jpg

After 3.5 hrs we hit 125 IT
IMG_0473_zpsa239c45f.jpg

Rested for about 45 min and then on to the gasser for a sear---now here there was a bit of an alcohol induced issue--put it on -- set the timer for 10 min, at 7 min went to have a look and the whole grill was in flames,,,,pulled it off figuring there was a real chance i ruined a nice piece of meat,,,,check the bones
IMG_0474_zps6ffe8bec.jpg

Rested it a bit and sliced...not feeling really good about this one....but was pleasantly surprised

IMG_0475_zpscec2027a.jpg

Well unfortunately I do not have Jeanies plating skills, but it at least tasted good

IMG_0477_zpsfbf07b09.jpg

Well-- you have to have a nice wine to go with this --

IMG_0471_zps6b021bb3.jpg

thanks for looking and all the help I got in the process

Thanks for posting the end result. Looks really good bro. Never leave your meat unattended though, especially on a gasser.

Thanks for posting the end result. Looks really good bro. Never leave your meat unattended though, especially on a gasser.

yea lesson learned---as I said alcohol may have have something to do with it--entertaining 10 people --but in the end - not the disaster I thought I had

It looks perfect to me. Not sure why you did anything think anything was wrong. Accept when your food is good!

yea lesson learned---as I said alcohol may have have something to do with it--entertaining 10 people --but in the end - not the disaster I thought I had

No disaster at all from what I see. :thumb: Great job by all means.

Back