Which is worse

Pelkster

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
A) Losing a GC by .0001 pts
B) Losing a GC by tie breaker

I'd hate to lose a GC by a coin flip. Nothing worse than having your fate decided by the flip of a coin.

A) Losing a GC by .0001 pts
B) Losing a GC by tie breaker

I'd hate to lose a GC by a coin flip. Nothing worse than having your fate decided by the flip of a coin.

Keith, 2 weeks ago in Ottawa we had a two way tie with two teams having the exact same amount of points. They then had to go to individual entry scores to determine final GC.

The difference between winning GC and RGC at this event was $2,000 and a ticket to WFC in Las Vegas.! (GC won $4,000, RGC won $2,000) ... ouch.

The Florida BBQ Association recognizes ties...add the winnings and divide by 2. Fairest in my book. So for me I'd hate to lose by .0001, which I have done btw.

Id rather lose by .0001

We've both benefited from tiebreakers and been hurt. Id rather lose by .0001

The other thing with losing a GC by tie breaker is either an automatic entry into the Jack or getting a bung entry. The money part is easy to rectify.

I aksed this question because I was thinking which would be worse. At first I said that losing by .0001 would by far worse because you were RIGHT there, but then looking at the tie breaker, that would hurt a lot more because of the other benefits of winning.

Not to be a thread buster, but the worst thing is to score a 180 in a category and lose a tie breaker. That's just wrong. (Not that I ever got close to a 180 score)

Not to be a thread buster, but the worst thing is to score a 180 in a category and lose a tie breaker. That's just wrong. (Not that I ever got close to a 180 score)
I've been on both sides of that. Luckily I was on the winning side at a high $ comp.

At least reserve still pays money. I got 3rd and missed reserve by .0003 if I remember correctly. Reserve paid $1500 and 3rd got nothing. :mmph:

being .0002 points from reserve.. don't get a dime.. at least tied for GC you at least get RGC money

I've lost GC by .0001, and been 3rd overall by .0003. Both, very disappointing. However, worse to me is the coin flip. I've tied more than I care to think about and I've lost most of the tie breakers (that's been my luck; lack of luck). I do like the FBA approach; just split the money... The problem is trophies... There are a few reasons why I prefer comparative scoring (like in MBN and GBA), and this is a major key piece of it...

Never been in either scenario but I've been competing at something my entire life. I don't mind losing as long as I'm in the game. I HATE getting blown out, whether its my fault or not.

Never been in either scenario but I've been competing at something my entire life. I don't mind losing as long as I'm in the game. I HATE getting blown out, whether its my fault or not.

Cooking, I'd rather have a bad outing and have my *** kicked than tie for first place and lose the tie breaker...

Would suck losing a coin toss tiebreaker and only have 6 GCs on the year and not qualify for the Jack. Since that 7th would auto bid you into the Jack.
!!! Now that would suck!!!

Well the 6 other GCs would be nice.

I was in a backyard contest where I got 5th & 7th in the meats but 3rd overall yet the G/RG only got a high score in one of the meats each so I ended up w/ nothing not even a trophy as they only gave awards to top 3 in each meat & G/RG.

At the first Heatin' up the Bay, Madalay Bay in Las Vegas, 2 teams had a 180 in chicken, coin toss. Two teams tied for GC, coin toss. The same team lost both coin toss to the same team and lost 12k in money. Stuff happens according to the loser.

Cooking, I'd rather have a bad outing and have my *** kicked than tie for first place and lose the tie breaker...

Yeah see that "bad outing" drives me crazy. If its my fault, I'm pissed that after all this time I did something stupid and if its one of those I do everything right and the judges hate my stuff, it drives me nuts.

Like I said never won or lost a contest like that but I have more than once lost a category to both. Neither bothered me as much as tanking one.

I'd rather lose by the coin toss. I've been there where 3 categories score 1, 5, 8 or 2, 6, 11. And you lose by a small margin because of one category (never lost by .0001 though!) I'd rather take RGC knowing I scored as well as the other team rather than doing the "what if" game.

Back