MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-18-2010, 07:29 AM   #1
Big Kahuna
On the road to being a farker

Exclamation America's Test Kitchen

Gentlemen, I realize this post is going to raise some strong opinions but I can't resist. I received my America's Test Kitchen weekly email. This current posting has a review of thermometers and store bought BBQ sauces. I have also enclosed another link for some recipes.
For the life of me I don't know why they didn't review the Thermapen, everyone knows the Orange one is the best.
As for the sauces please keep in mind that the magazine is run by a bunch of Yankee's. Anyway take the information for what it's worth, these links will only work for a short period, about a week.
Al.

http://www.cooksillustrated.com/equi...sp?docid=10666

http://www.cooksillustrated.com/tast...sp?docid=20160

http://www.cooksillustrated.com/reci...code=L0FN3AA00
Big Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2010, 09:58 AM   #2
smokedgoose
Got Wood.

Well I disagree on the sauce big time! An interesting read on the thermometers.
smokedgoose is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2010, 10:00 AM   #3
jgh1204
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokedgoose View Post
Well I disagree on the sauce big time! An interesting read on the thermometers.
I get that same email and I wanted to fire back a response.

Regional bias. Stubbs is a good sauce.

Old 06-18-2010, 10:02 AM   #4
kcchiefdav

I don't really care for it when media outlets do these kinds of surveys on things like sauces because literally everyone likes something different in a sauce. And surveying a half dozen people around the office really doesn't do anyone any good.
kcchiefdav is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2010, 10:06 AM   #5
1FUNVET
Babbling Farker

Stubbs over Bulls Eye all day long.Not impressed with any of the sauce selections.
1FUNVET is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2010, 10:31 AM   #6
SmokeJumper
is One Chatty Farker

I think they didn't review the Thermapen because they were reviewing thermometers to monitor grill temperature and not meat thermometers.

The sauce test results seem "in the ballpark" for common brands. Don't forget these guys are out in Vermont so they are biased by local tastes.

I'm a big fan of Cooks Illustrated but on things as subjective as BBQ sauce only you will know the final answer.
SmokeJumper is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2010, 10:34 AM   #7
FamilyManBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Think they were reviewing pit thermos...not food. In defense of ATK I've seen they give very high marks to thermapen. I'd like to suggest to them that they test each color of thermapen...that way everyone will see that black is best.

Sweet Baby Ray's is the go to bottled sauce in my house
[FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Arial][B]Humphrey's Pint[/B][/FONT][/FONT], [FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Arial]Weber(Go Anywhere, Smokey Joe, "Smoker Joe", 22.5" Kettles, Gasser, Q100, Q200, (2)22.5" WSM, (1)18.5" WSM (1) 14.5" WSM, UDS (Weber lid), Rib-O-Lator. [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Arial][B][COLOR=black]BLACK[/COLOR][/B] thermapen...and a [B][COLOR=yellow]YELLOW[/COLOR][/B] one too!! [/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Arial][I][B]Everything I cook is judged by SIX!![/B][/I][/FONT][/FONT]

[I][FONT=Arial][B]Daddy and Me BBQ[/B] Competition Cooking Team[/FONT][/I]
FamilyManBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2010, 11:21 AM   #8
el_matt
Babbling Farker

We still have the bottle of Hunt's that my sister-in-law brought over, last summer. I just quietly used either Stubbs or Sweet Baby Rays. She said my 'que always tastes better than theirs. We just smiled, and thanked them. My wife said it's because we use charcoal, and not propane !!

Matt
el_matt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2010, 11:22 AM   #9
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

ATK has reviewed food thermo's in the past, and their favorite was the Thermapen, their best buy was something cheaper (can't remember the brand.)

Their ranking of sauces is laughable.
[FONT=Arial Narrow][B]EZ wood handled 3 wheeler | OTS | OTS mod to OTG | [COLOR=red]Ladybug[/COLOR] SS Performer | UglyDrumTandoor | UDS v1 | midi UDS with [COLOR=red]red[/COLOR] [COLOR=black]nipples[/COLOR] | SJG smoker mod | Simpsons SJS | [COLOR=black]Simpsons[/COLOR] OTG | WGA charcoal | SJP | Stacked brick WFO | Lodge Logic Sportsman's Grill cast iron hibachi/sigri | [COLOR=green]LBGE | sbge | [SIZE="1"]mini bge[/SIZE] [/COLOR] [/B][/FONT]
caliking is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2010, 12:06 PM   #10
Ceedubya
Knows what a fatty is.

hmmm, stubbs is not recommended huh? seems funny I have actaully used this sauce on chicken in a comp...... and WON!

Old 06-18-2010, 12:26 PM   #11
MAsQue
is One Chatty Farker

I think that if it's not sweet, it doesn't sell in the Northeast. I find that Sweet Baby Ray's is always dependable for catering. I like my own more vinegary. Some customers will go for a vinegar or Piedmont sauce on pork, but not most.

Ma's 'Que Crew BBQ Team
Ma's BBQ and Catering
"Texas BBQ" propane tank stick burner
Brinkman Cimmaron
CBJ #6502
MAsQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2010, 12:28 PM   #12
expatpig
is One Chatty Farker

A"bunch of Yankees"? What the heck is that about? You sure don't have to be from south of the Mason-Dixon line to be a BBQ expert. Have you ever had a good lobster roll in Memphis?
[B][COLOR=red]Napoleon Apollo[/COLOR][/B]
[COLOR=#ff0000][B]GOSM[/B][/COLOR]

[COLOR=blue][B][I]CSBBQA, KCBS, NOBS(Northern Ontario Barbecue Society)Professional Barbecue Team. USAJFKCENMA.[/I][/B][/COLOR]
expatpig is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 06-18-2010, 12:33 PM   #13
Icetech

I tried stubbs for the first time this last weekend... and although i would not buy it again, i would take it anyday over bullseye..
Icetech is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2010, 01:02 PM   #14
deguerre
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatpig View Post
A"bunch of Yankees"? What the heck is that about? You sure don't have to be from south of the Mason-Dixon line to be a BBQ expert. Have you ever had a good lobster roll in Memphis?
I was just waiting for that one. And, living in (not being from) Memphis...What's a lobster roll?
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-18-2010, 01:07 PM   #15
Big Kahuna

Sorry, I should have put a smiley face beside that comment. The last time this Canadian was in Texas I was classified as a "Yankee". But I do like Sweet Baby Rays.
Big Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Tags
BBQ Sauce, thermometer