MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-05-2013, 10:06 AM   #1
Hedgeley
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Beef Ribs - what cut?

Ok. I've done the "brisket" (right - a 2 lb tough cut of meat with barely any fat cap) and I've done chicken with turned out really well. Roast beef was perfect. Before I tackle Pork ribs I'd like to try some beef ribs. My question is - which cut is best. I'm clueless on these things and the wife wanted to know whether to buy side or back. And what do they mean by short ribs? I'm dying to try these cause I love beef ribs in the restaurant. Smoke? I have some apple chunks left over from the chicken smoke, but I'm sensing something a bit different. Not a huge fan of mesquite or hickory. What about cherry?
You guys are the gods of bbq. please help me on the road to becoming a Jedi Master. I'm merely a padawan. Help me Obi Wan Kenobi, you're my only hope.
Hedgeley is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-05-2013, 10:17 AM   #2
LMAJ
somebody shut me the fark up.

I can usually only get short ribs or flanken cut ribs.
I don't know the difference between side or back ribs, but if I had to guess that would be like back and spare ribs in pork. I cook beef ribs like I cook brisket, low and slow and trim them pretty aggressively, getting rid of all the hard fat that will never render. Don't forget to remove the membrane on the back of the ribs - not tasty at all...
As far as wood - we like cherry with beef.

Don't shy away form pork ribs, toss some on the cooker over the beef ribs and let that porky goodness ooze on the beef...
1 Large BGE and table - 8/29/12
1300 Timberline 5/26/17
1 18.5 WSM
Super Fast BLUE and REDThermopen
1 - Fantastic hubby - the original Big Al
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things. - Robert Brault
LMAJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-05-2013, 10:35 AM   #3
Moose

Name/Nickname : Richard

I've had the best luck with beef back ribs, as they seem to have the most meat on them. and the size of the ribs on a rack range from small to pretty good sized. Here's what a small rack looks like:

I would also second all of LMAJ's suggestions about cooking etc.
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 07-05-2013, 10:53 AM   #4
Al Czervik

Name/Nickname : Scott/Mongo

I've done both back ribs and short ribs and as of late have preferred the short ribs... They are more expensive than the back ribs but around here have a lot more meat on them. Here is link to some I did a while back for a throwdown.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=146669

It shows what they look like and how I prepared them. Hope it helps.

(='.'=) Avatar by Chalupa
(")_(")
Al Czervik is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-05-2013, 11:12 AM   #5
Hedgeley
Knows what a fatty is.

Default What can I say but wow

That link looks fantastic. Only thing is - do you have access to Lea and Perrins Worcestshire sauce? Let me know of you don't. I'll send you some down sometime. Can't be beat. It's the original.
And thanks all. I'll let you know how it goes. My Temp probes quit on me, but judging by what I've seen, won't need them.
This is becoming addictive. I've been smoking for just over a month now, and have accumulated over 100lb of charcoal (Royal Oak and some Costco Maple) And used another 50. bought some apple chunk wood, and am going to get some cherry and alder next. Sorry, SC, but not a big fan of hickory until I learn how to control the smoke.

Old 07-05-2013, 11:31 AM   #6
Al Czervik

Name/Nickname : Scott/Mongo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgeley View Post
do you have access to Lea and Perrins Worcestshire sauce?
I have seen it and will make a point of getting some to give it a try... Thanks!
(='.'=) Avatar by Chalupa
(")_(")
Al Czervik is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-05-2013, 12:08 PM   #7
Hedgeley
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Lea and Perrins

It's the best there is. The original - kinda like Tabasco original is the best. Guarded recipes
tabasco is great on eggs, Lea and Perrins on beef is a staple in our house

Old 07-06-2013, 08:54 AM   #8
Marrs
On the road to being a farker

I love to do untrimmed short ribs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2013-04-26_19-22-08_939.jpg (40.3 KB, 151 views)
File Type: jpg 2013-04-26_19-22-35_333.jpg (41.3 KB, 151 views)

WSM 22.5 modified, Mini WSM. 22.5 OTG. Genesis Silver. Flowerpot Tandoor 19. Proud Supporter of Operation BBQ Relief!
Marrs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-06-2013, 09:55 AM   #9
LMAJ

Default Lea and Perrins

I didn't even know there was any other brand.... it's always been Lea and Perrins at our house.
1300 Timberline 5/26/17
1 18.5 WSM
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things. - Robert Brault

Old 07-08-2013, 08:59 AM   #10
Hedgeley
Knows what a fatty is.

Thumbs up Short Rib Report

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Czervik View Post
I've done both back ribs and short ribs and as of late have preferred the short ribs... They are more expensive than the back ribs but around here have a lot more meat on them. Here is link to some I did a while back for a throwdown.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=146669

It shows what they look like and how I prepared them. Hope it helps.

Wife bought me some short ribs - not as nice as the ones you guys showed, but decent enough. Made an attempt at the sauce since I didn't have all the ingredients. Smoked the ribs using cherry chunks and Maple Lump charcoal at 275 for 2 hours and rested for 1/2 hour. Perhaps I oversimplified, and I didn't braise them but they still came out pretty good. One thing I'm going to have to refine is how much smoke is needed. I think I oversmoked, cause a lot of the time the chunks were blowing white smoke, and I don't think that much is needed. I had 3 to 4 chunks in most of the time. One or two would have been sufficient. The other thing I'm wary of (and this is cause I'm used to grilling) is overcooking. I keep thinking that will toughen the meat. Gotta get past that. I guess that's why braising in this case would have helped.
Thanks for all the help. This site is an amazing resource, especially for someone only a couple months into this smoking addiction.
I think I'm going to do some caveman steaks next. I'm really intrigued by that process. Nice to have a smoker (Napoleon Apollo 3 in 1) that's that versatile.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-08-2013, 09:49 AM   #11
Zin
is One Chatty Farker

Meaty beef spare ribs are the king of all ribs, its hard to find meaty spares so short ribs are the next best rib. Thick cut flanken ribs are also very delish
Zin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-08-2013, 10:20 AM   #12
Marrs
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Perhaps I oversimplified, and I didn't braise them but they still came out pretty good.
No need to braise. They'll get super tender with enough time on the smoker.

Quote:
I think I oversmoked, cause a lot of the time the chunks were blowing white smoke...
You are correct. You need a "thin blue line". If you do a search of the forums using the search form at the bottom of the page you'll find some pictures to help you see what a thin blue line looks like.

Welcome to the addiction (and the forums)! There are a lot of helpful people here so don't be afraid to ask questions.

Good luck,

WSM 22.5 modified, Mini WSM. 22.5 OTG. Genesis Silver. Flowerpot Tandoor 19. Proud Supporter of Operation BBQ Relief!
Marrs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-08-2013, 12:55 PM   #13
luke duke
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose View Post
I've had the best luck with beef back ribs, as they seem to have the most meat on them.
You must have gotten some poor short ribs.

luke duke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-08-2013, 01:11 PM   #14
luke duke
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zin View Post
Meaty beef spare ribs are the king of all ribs, its hard to find meaty spares so short ribs are the next best rib. Thick cut flanken ribs are also very delish
What is a beef spare rib?
luke duke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-08-2013, 01:13 PM   #15
LMAJ

Duke - that is one huge short rib! The ones we get are in the three inch long size

Hedgeley - 2.5 hours really isn't long for beef ribs - mine usually go 5+ hours.
1300 Timberline 5/26/17
1 18.5 WSM