MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-17-2014, 06:50 PM   #1
DUBBAGA
is Blowin Smoke!

Default Oakridge/Stark modified Bludawg brisket

Finally found a really nice Choice packer at the local Walmart Neighborhood Market recently, and figured it was time to do a brisket. After reading many successful posts, it was time to try HnF - Bludawg style.

Started off with a floppy 12.7lb packer, and trimmed off 3.1lb of fat/grey meat.

I can't begin to explain how fantastic it was to work on the Stark Disposable Cutting Board . Although this wasn't a monster brisket, it was still 2 inches longer than my largest standard cutting board, but it fit nicely on the Stark board. If you haven't tried them yet, you really should do so. Check out his info on the Sales and Ventures page. After it was trimmed (really ugly job doing the fat cap), it was rubbed generously with Oakridge Black Ops, and allowed to rest while the UDS was coming up to 300 (running KBB and red oak).

After the UDS was holding steady, the brisket went on for 4hrs.

At the 4 hours mark it was wrapped in parchment paper (modified Bludawg as no butcher paper), and returned for 1hr. Started to probe the flat, and it wasn't even close to ready. Checked again at 2hrs, and still wasn't probing how I wanted it, but I pulled it and hoped that the carry-over cooking would be sufficient to get it probe tender. Separated the point for burnt ends, and wrapped the flat back up.

This was the first time that I brought out the probe thermometer as I wanted to know when it had cooled to 150 for slicing.

Cubed up the point, tossed with more Oakridge Black Ops and some bbq sauce, and tossed back on the UDS to render and crisp.

Once the flat had cooled to 150 I started to slice. It was TOUGH!!! The rest on the counter didn't get it where I wanted, but I was not deterred. Re-wrapped the flat in heavy duty aluminum foil, included the drippings from the parchment, and allowed it to continue cooking at 300. It was another 2 hours before it probed tender, and to my surprise the thermometer was registering 213.

The burnt ends turned out fantastic, and the twice-cooked brisket was on point. I truly love Oakridge Black Ops, it is such a great product.

Thanks to Matthew (Stark) for making the prep a breeze, Mike (Oakridge) for making the end product delicious, and Bludawg for making the process simple.

Humphrey's Long Weekender, UDS, Red Box Smoker, SJS/Tamale Pot Smoker, Weber Performer, Weber 18.5 OTS, Alton Brown Flower Pot Smoker (died), Blue Ember Gasser (died}

Member of the Hall of Zero's (Noobians v. Veterans Throwdown)
DUBBAGA is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 01-17-2014, 07:04 PM   #2
SOB
Full Fledged Farker

You can have some higher temperature readings for probe tender doing a HnF cook. 213* ain't bad

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-17-2014, 07:08 PM   #3
JediDog
is one Smokin' Farker

That brisket looks perfect.
JediDog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2014, 07:11 PM   #4
MisterChrister
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Fark that's a sexy piece of brisket!

Old 01-17-2014, 07:11 PM   #5
ShencoSmoke
is One Chatty Farker

Good work, very nice. I am also in the middle of a love affair with black ops.
ShencoSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2014, 07:14 PM   #6
Happy Hapgood
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Mike

Spectacular post, pic's and brisket!
Wife LuzziAnn 1956 model.
Ink Bird IBBQ 4T Wi-Fi Temp Monitor, Superfast LSU Purple Thermapen & ThermaPop, Party Q
Ink Bird Sous Vide, HF Flame Thower

My Motto these days is "Low Stress, Low Drag".

The Artist Formally Known as Toast

Happy Hapgood is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2014, 07:21 PM   #7
Fwismoker

Looks Awesome! Don't be afraid to trim back the flat part way and lay it back over the point.

Visit [COLOR="Red"]OctoForks[/COLOR] in Sales & Ventures

Website & Blog: [url]www.octoforks.com[/url]
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2014, 01:46 AM   #8
sliding_billy

Name/Nickname : )

Very nice job.

Old 01-18-2014, 07:34 AM   #9
RT
Full Fledged Farker

Nice!!!!
RT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2014, 07:58 AM   #10
aawa
Babbling Farker

Nice looking brisket.

Bludawg will tell you, always trust your probe to tell you when the meat is done. Don't go by time or internal temperature.

Also when cooking hot and fast, the meat internal temperature will usually end up much higher than doing low and slow cooking when done.

Old 01-18-2014, 09:46 AM   #11
Bludawg

Looks real good like always say trust the probe differences in pit temp readings are different due to placement and thermo accuracy. The parchment could possibly have a different effect over BP?? Either way I would like a slice or 3 of that.

Tags
Bludawg, oakridge, Stark Disposable Cutting Board