MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-17-2009, 12:26 PM   #1
mattyp1214
Found some matches.

Default $1500 budget need CO backwoods dealer/advice

Hi everyone I've decided to make the jump and buy a backwoods party or used fatboy if I could find one. Wanted to know if there are any good dealers around denver or even cheyenne.

Also recommendations on what mods I need to purchase and why. Is the guru necessary?
mattyp1214 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-2009, 03:08 PM   #2
Capn Kev
is one Smokin' Farker

Matty,

Are you looking to compete? If so, I've heard the Guru is a lifesaver for maintaining pit temps up here in the high country competitions. I've never used the Backwoods smokers, but I've heard good things. You should also talk to Michael (Chibi-Q). He built his own which is similar to a Stumps ...maybe he could build you one? He's in Ft. Collins and a member of this forum.

You should also post your request on the RMBBQA website, might get some more local views.

Kev
Capn Kev is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-2009, 03:13 PM   #3
jonboy
is One Chatty Farker

You might check the backwoods forum for used smokers
jon
jonboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-2009, 04:13 PM   #4
Bob S
is One Chatty Farker

The Backwoods website lists the Colorado dealer as Ruff's BBQ Shoppe in Golden, CO. Phone number is 303-237-1955. Also, as jonboy said, check the Backwoods forum for people selling used pits.
A guru is not necessary but is a great addition. The BWS will hold steady temps without it.
WSM 18"
Weber 22.5" Performer
Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle
Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver "Guinness" Kettle
Weber Genesis gasser
Blazin' Buttz BBQ Team www.blazinbuttz-bbq.com
Bob S is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-2009, 04:30 PM   #5
E Mellow
On the road to being a farker

Depends if this is for backyard use or competition. We use 2 backwoods in competition and love them. We use them around the house and for catering also but after having them I wouldnt compete with anything else. I would say go with a fatboy used if you can find one. If it is going to be used for competition I feel that the fatboy's racks are better suited than the party's are if your only going to use one cooker. Also you get 2" insulation and a fixed water pan standard with the fat boy. Only down side is the fatboy is twice as heavy but in the big pictures its worth it. As far as the guru they give you piece of mind more than anything. These cookers will hold temp perfectly for hours without them.
E Mellow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-2009, 07:55 PM   #6
watertowerbbq
is One Chatty Farker

Smokinit is a dealer. Oh Kevin......................
Previous: BWS Competitor (sold 2012), WSM - 18.5" (2009, sold 2011), WSM - 18.5" (2004, sold 2010)
Superfast Orange Thermopen, Yellow MK4, Fireboard, Railroad Detective
watertowerbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-18-2009, 06:24 AM   #7
smokinit
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by watertowerbbq View Post
Smokinit is a dealer. Oh Kevin......................
PM him already just waiting thanks