MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-26-2009, 12:24 PM   #1
Theboz1419
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Uds turkey, 3 hours? how?

I was doing a turkey in the UDS and I have had the temp at 240 before putting the turkey on the grill and it then went down to 180 when I put the turkey onto the grill with a tin foil container with a little bit water and and to catch the drippings.

3 hours later my Uds temp just below the turkey is setting at 247 and I went to check the temp of the bird for the first time and I am sitting at 176 in the breast.

Why so fast with a temp below 300?

I checked the temp probes last weekend and they were only a few degrees off in boiling water.

Or is is just right for a 14 pound turkey, not stuffed except for a onion and apple

Old 11-26-2009, 12:32 PM   #2
Bbq Bubba
somebody shut me the fark up.

Check the joint between the leg and the thigh. If your 165ish, your done.

3 hrs doesn't surprise me on a drum.
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-26-2009, 12:33 PM   #3
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Seems a little fast, but not unbelievable. at 250 I would say 20 - 25 per pound unstuffed, so that would be around 4 hours. Did you brine it? Brines meats tend to cook faster.

Also, check it in a few spots just in case.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 11-26-2009, 02:15 PM   #4
N8man
Babbling Farker

A UDS is The BBQ Microwave!!!!!

How I Fire Up That Ugly DrumPit Smoker!!!!
N8man is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-26-2009, 03:19 PM   #5
Theboz1419
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
Seems a little fast, but not unbelievable. at 250 I would say 20 - 25 per pound unstuffed, so that would be around 4 hours. Did you brine it? Brines meats tend to cook faster.

Also, check it in a few spots just in case.

I did not brine it but i did inject it with a chicken broth, butter, lemon marinade for about 8 hours before smoking it. It was definately done, and fairly good, not to juicy though.

Old 11-26-2009, 03:50 PM   #6
hav
is one Smokin' Farker

Wow you got me curious. I did my first Turkey in the Drum today as well. I have it sitting in a cooler, wrapped right now. I did Brine for the first time as well. And I might have let it cook too long because the temps were also showing that mine was done in about 3 hours. Will keep you posted!

No pics yet, will post later...ooohhhh, I have a Craisen & Mozzarella Cheese Stuffed and Pecan Rubbed Fattie still in the smoker!

I almost forgot about that!
14" Table Top Kettle Grill; Turkey Fryer; [B][I][COLOR=red]Rapid-Fire-Red[/COLOR][/I][/B] Thermapen!; [COLOR="SeaGreen"][B][I]Mini, Small, Medium & Large BGE![/I][/B][/COLOR]
hav is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-26-2009, 04:00 PM   #7
carpetbagger1
Knows what a fatty is.

I've got my bird on the drum right now. Trying the MadMax approach. Been having major temp issues all day. Both valves open (my third is broken and wont open) but for the first hour couldn't get it higher then 250. Normally I'd be well over 300 with both open. Tried Stubbs charcoal today, and wondering if that has anything to do with it. Fired up some Kingsford in the chimney, added that, and now we're getting closer to 300 which is what I wanted.

Been on for 1.5 hours, and breast is at 110.
carpetbagger1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-26-2009, 04:07 PM   #8
leanza
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetbagger1 View Post
I've got my bird on the drum right now. Trying the MadMax approach. Been having major temp issues all day. Both valves open (my third is broken and wont open) but for the first hour couldn't get it higher then 250. Normally I'd be well over 300 with both open. Tried Stubbs charcoal today, and wondering if that has anything to do with it. Fired up some Kingsford in the chimney, added that, and now we're getting closer to 300 which is what I wanted.

Been on for 1.5 hours, and breast is at 110.
Unscrew the ball type valve and use a plastic, flat type magnate to cover the intake to what ever degree you want as to adjust oxy intake.