aluminum pans

big blue bbq

Take a breath!
Reaction score
I have been playing around with doing my butts and briskets in pans for at home cooking and can't tell a lot of difference between that and doing them on the racks. Advantages: The clean up is a lot easier:p:-D, you get to use the juice in the pans as a mop item(especially good if you injected the meat), Ease of movement in the smoker if you need to move for temperature zones, you just foil the whole pan instead of taking a chance messing up the meat when you take it off to foil..... The only real downside is a little less bark:icon_blush:, but I have found that if you take the foil off at the end of the cook it comes back pretty good.

Question is: Does any body do this at a comp?

I like it for practice cooks, but if someone knows reasons why I should not do it in a comp it is time to start practicing for real and putting up with clean up time.

larry

Yea its makes clean up easy
But The effect on the end product is IMHO
not what I am looking for

Do you put a grid in the pans for the butts to raise them out of the fat?? I would think that they would throw off a good amount of fat to soak in. Kinda Pork Confi :-D How about the smoke, does it get all around???

I have not tried them that way, but I will. All about easy clean up.

So far everyone has been telling me it is the best I have done. We all know what freinds and relatives opinions are worth when it comes comp time. I like the smoke I am getting. I have not tried the pans in the bottom. It seems as I mop the liquid back on the rest kindof evaporates in the bottom of the pan.

I use pans but use the grids on them so they dont boil in the juice.

grids I not sure what this is? are they a wire rack you can buy to put in the pan? sorry for the stupid question..

i have use pans it turn out ok for me. The butts sure are juicy when you use pans.

I smoke everything in pans!!!!!
Want the bark back? Take the juice out of the pan the last 2 hours or so. Presto!!! Bark.
Smoke On!!!!

I know several people who use pans or trays with wire racks to cook their comp meat. It works well for them if you consider the calls.

Back