MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-25-2014, 09:16 AM   #286
nucornhusker
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveAlvarado View Post
Well I was all set to buy a vertical smoker, just trying to decide between charcoal or stick, and now there's a third contender.

I'm not sure how I feel about a pellet cooker, but the results you're getting are exactly what I'd like to have. And the versatility saves me needing to buy a smoker and a grill.

It's going to be a tough decision.

One question, if you were loading up with say 8lb butts, how many could you fit on both grates?
It's a great cooker, but defiantly different than the others you are looking at for sure.

As for the butts, I've never filled it but I had a guess. I talked to a buddy that also has a 1500 and he has cooked a lot of butts in his. He said easily 12, eight on the bottom and four on top. You want to make sure you leave a little room around each so you have good airflow. You could possibly, maybe get a couple more, but I've never done it myself. And at current pork prices, I won't unless someone is paying for the meat.

Old 06-25-2014, 09:54 AM   #287
DaveAlvarado
is One Chatty Farker

Yeah, butts are just my measuring stick for cooker size. I don't know why my brain works that way, it just does. Kind of like your picture with the pans to show the size. My concern was that at 42" wide it wouldn't be big enough, but then I realized that the Yoder has an upper rack that holds the same temp as the lower grate, so I can use all that space any time without worrying about adjusting my cooking times too much because it's significantly hotter.

When I was thinking about a normal offset, I was looking at a size around 24" x 60", which would be 1440 sq in of cooking space on the bottom grate which is mainly what I'd use. The YS1500 has about the same amount of space (slightly more), so I think it's the right size for my needs.
DaveAlvarado is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 11-06-2015, 06:42 PM   #288
TomRaz
Knows what a fatty is.

This is one impressive thread
I am on the fence between a vertical charcoal smoker and the ys1500
I think this thread has swung me over to the ys1500
I already own a MAK 2 Star General and is does an awesome job but I wanted something larger to cook with and I would prefer to stay with pellets

Have any of the other people that have ordered the YS 1500 care to reply and provide your feedback on what you like or dislike about the yes 1500 ?
TomRaz is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-08-2016, 12:58 PM   #289
BBQ Addict
Found some matches.

Question Time gone by

Alright, it has been about 3 years since you got your Yoder, nucornhusker. What are your thoughts today? Any regrets, advice or other smokers to consider instead of the YS1500?
BBQ Addict is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-09-2016, 10:25 AM   #290
nucornhusker
Babbling Farker

My thoughts today are just as happy as they were then. It's reliable, it creates a great smoke flavor, it's predictable, it cooks very well, overall I'm still extremely happy with my decision. Obviously the honeymoon is over, but I still love to use it and have not even thought about buying another smoker aside from a stickburner than I knew I wanted back when I bought the YS1500. I enjoy to stick burn a lot, but the YS1500 lets me cook at times when I couldn't otherwise, or for quick smokes (chicken wings) low temp smokes (jerky), things that I wouldn't set a smoker up for if it was a stickburner. I just cooked a brisket on the YS1500 this weekend and it came out awesome as always. I'm still 100% happy with my decision.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-08-2016, 02:37 AM   #291
IFlyEm
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Mike

Awesome thread!

Last edited by IFlyEm; 07-08-2016 at 02:55 AM..
IFlyEm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-11-2016, 08:33 PM   #292
Kung_Pow_Donkey
Got rid of the matchlight.

I just spent the evening reading the entire thread... your food/pictures are super impressive. I have been on the fence for a pellet specifically a Yoder and you have pushed me over the edge. I can't afford the YS1500 but definitely getting the YS640. My wife may be temporarily angry but if I can smoke brisket half as good as you, she will quickly change her tune :) Quick question on your Xmas Rib Roast, would you mind sharing your recipe and process for it? Looked amazing!
Kung_Pow_Donkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-11-2016, 11:32 PM   #293
bbqwizard
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Phillip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kung_Pow_Donkey View Post
I just spent the evening reading the entire thread... your food/pictures are super impressive. I have been on the fence for a pellet specifically a Yoder and you have pushed me over the edge. I can't afford the YS1500 but definitely getting the YS640. My wife may be temporarily angry but if I can smoke brisket half as good as you, she will quickly change her tune :) Quick question on your Xmas Rib Roast, would you mind sharing your recipe and process for it? Looked amazing!
I alway's tell people that have to convince the other half, all they have to do is serve them some food from the cooker the first time, and all nay-saying goes away
By His grace, for His glory!
bbqwizard is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-11-2016, 11:38 PM   #294
bbqwizard
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Phillip

Nucornhusker, I think everyone would love to see some up to date photos of the cooker and food pron. C'mon, for good old sake
By His grace, for His glory!
bbqwizard is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-13-2016, 09:25 AM   #295
nucornhusker
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqwizard View Post
Nucornhusker, I think everyone would love to see some up to date photos of the cooker and food pron. C'mon, for good old sake
Ha. Well, it looks the same, just dirtier and I don't take as many pictures as I use to, if any. If I come across something I can post it, but I can't find anything right now.

You are right though, most people get over any apprehension after eating some good grub off of a new cooker.

BTW, what customizations did you do to your YS1500 cart? Just color?

Old 07-13-2016, 09:52 AM   #296
Big Swole
is one Smokin' Farker

Very nice smoker.. I was considering one (ys640) but most folks seem to think a pellet won't satisfy my need for a heavier smoke flavor. I'd STILL love to have a Yoder though.
-BGE Mini --------------------------- "CHERRY POPPER"
Big Swole is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-13-2016, 10:22 AM   #297
nucornhusker
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Swole View Post
Very nice smoker.. I was considering one (ys640) but most folks seem to think a pellet won't satisfy my need for a heavier smoke flavor. I'd STILL love to have a Yoder though.
You are correct that is isn't as strong of a smoke flavor as it can be with some other cookers, but I would think that it could be due to a dirty fire. I can run a very clean fire in a stickburner and have a very similar amount of smoke flavor as my YS1500 (I've done a side by side, so this comes from experience). I would describe the stickburner having a little richer, deeper smoke flavor, but I've never had a complaint about "lack of smoke" from either of my Yoder pellet cookers. But every person has their preference. If you know someone with a Yoder, try some food from it first. You may be surprised. In my experience the smoke flavor is stronger from a Yoder than other pellet cookers, but I haven't tried them all.

Old 07-13-2016, 10:25 AM   #298
nucornhusker
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kung_Pow_Donkey View Post
Sorry I didn't get back to you on the rib roast. It was very simple. Bone-in, quality rib roast, I trim the fat cap off but you don't have to, I season fairly lightly with Ted and Barney's (which is just amazing on anything you want to season) or use your favorite seasoning, smoke in a 200* cooker until the IT is 125. Pull and rest under a foil tent for 30-45 minutes. Slice and devour.

It can seem intimidating to cook a rib roast, but it's really a very easy cook.

Hope this helps.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-13-2016, 10:29 AM   #299
Big Swole
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by nucornhusker View Post
You are correct that is isn't as strong of a smoke flavor as it can be with some other cookers, but I would think that it could be due to a dirty fire. I can run a very clean fire in a stickburner and have a very similar amount of smoke flavor as my YS1500 (I've done a side by side, so this comes from experience). I would describe the stickburner having a little richer, deeper smoke flavor, but I've never had a complaint about "lack of smoke" from either of my Yoder pellet cookers. But every person has their preference. If you know someone with a Yoder, try some food from it first. You may be surprised. In my experience the smoke flavor is stronger from a Yoder than other pellet cookers, but I haven't tried them all.
Thank you!

I'm just now reading the whole thread (sorry I posted prior to reading it) and I'm getting a better idea of how well the YS cooks / smokes. I've been on the dang fence for a while now and had kinda ruled a YS out....BUT NOW, dang!!!! It's hard to argue with some of your results.

You aren't getting a kickback from yoder for saying good things are ya? LOLOLOL

J/K.
-BGE Mini --------------------------- "CHERRY POPPER"
Big Swole is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-13-2016, 10:34 AM   #300
nucornhusker
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Swole View Post
Thank you!

I'm just now reading the whole thread (sorry I posted prior to reading it) and I'm getting a better idea of how well the YS cooks / smokes. I've been on the dang fence for a while now and had kinda ruled a YS out....BUT NOW, dang!!!! It's hard to argue with some of your results.

You aren't getting a kickback from yoder for saying good things are ya? LOLOLOL

J/K.
I wish. I'd be posting every day if I was.

Here is the cook I did with a Yoder Kingman stickburner and YS1500. It's hard to tell the two salt and pepper racks apart. Both cooked at 225* with peach and a slight amount of oak from the same cryo pack at the exact same time. That was a fun day.

Tags
food pron, pellet cooker, pellet grill, pellet smoker, smoke, Yoder, Yoder Smokers, Yoder YS1500