• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

cooking a brisket for a co-worker

ButtBurner

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
The other day at lunch I was minding my own business having a brisket sandwich for lunch.

A guy smelled it, came over and I gave him a slice to try

after he ate it, he said he had to have one, can I smoke him one?

Sure!! love to

Question is, my plan was to just smoke it this weekend, let it rest as normal then just wrap it in plastic wrap, put it in the fridge whole and bring it in on Monday

Is that the proper handling of it?

thanks

Plastic wrap is fine but I prefer foil. Definitely leave it whole or it will dry out. Explain to your co-worker how to reheat it and enjoy!

On my cook-for-reheating briskets, I pretty much do them just like a normal cook except for the rest I triple foil (to prevent an accidental hole during handling), and I add more liquid than normal to the foil, so there is plenty of reheating liquid.

I rest about 3 hours in a warm cooler... for food safety I want the internal temp to stay above 150* internal. Then I have a second cooler filled with iced water. Yes, finally a cold cooler for brisket... heheheeee. Anyway, I move the foiled brisket into a plastic bag and submerge it in the iced water. The theory here is.... I want to move the internal temp of the brisket from 150* to 40* as fast as possible. After about an hour, I'll remove it from the ice water cooler, remove the bag and it goes into the fridge. If I'm freezing it, I go straight to the freezer.

I also pre-mark grain direction so they slice it correctly, and I send a detailed written instruction sheet on how to reheat, when to slice etc. I include some brisket lore, smoking details, and explain things like the smoke ring. This way they can not only walk the walk, but they can talk the talk.

EDIT - ButtBurner, here are the instructions you PM'd me about. It's in Word .doc, and it's a big file... but this way you can download it and then make your own changes as needed. I've used these basic instructions for years, they have just grown over time. This version is for someone that really does not know much about brisket at all, and it includes some kind of an answer for about any question.

Attachments

• Brisket - Frozen and reheated 3 ken-debby.doc
    4.5 MB · Views: 96
Last edited:
On my cook-for-reheating briskets, I pretty much do them just like a normal cook except for the rest I triple foil (to prevent an accidental hole during handling), and I add more liquid than normal to the foil, so there is plenty of reheating liquid.

I rest about 3 hours in a warm cooler... for food safety I want the internal temp to stay above 150* internal. Then I have a second cooler filled with iced water. Yes, finally a cold cooler for brisket... heheheeee. Anyway, I move the foiled brisket into a plastic bag and submerge it in the iced water. The theory here is.... I want to move the internal temp of the brisket from 150* to 40* as fast as possible. After about an hour, I'll remove it from the ice water cooler, remove the bag and it goes into the fridge. If I'm freezing it, I go straight to the freezer.

I also pre-mark grain direction so they slice it correctly, and I send a detailed written instruction sheet on how to reheat, when to slice etc. I include some brisket lore, smoking details, and explain things like the smoke ring. This way they can not only walk the walk, but they can talk the talk.

EDIT - ButtBurner, here are the instructions you PM'd me about. It's in Word .doc, and it's a big file... but this way you can download it and then make your own changes as needed. I've used these basic instructions for years, they have just grown over time. This version is for someone that really does not know much about brisket at all, and it includes some kind of an answer for about any question.

:clap2::clap2::clap2:

I would leave it whole and double wrap in foil . Make sure you explain to your co-worker to leave it wrapped when heated. Also a small class on how to cut against grain of meat. You should be good.

Thirdeye, those are great instructions. It makes it almost idiot-proof.

I think I'll keep that file handy for the occasional times that I might need to pass the information along in a concise, easy to read format.

Great run down on the brisket. That is very well put together and perfect for anyone with questions about how to handle a brisket after the fire goes out.

"Give a man a fish, you feed him for a day. Teach him to fish," well, you know the rest. SHow him the how to section on youtube. I like the Aaron Franklin postings best, real simple. It'll get him hooked. Then show him this site. Teach him to slice? Heck, inspire him to cook!

"Give a man a fish, you feed him for a day. Teach him to fish," well, you know the rest. SHow him the how to section on youtube. I like the Aaron Franklin postings best, real simple. It'll get him hooked. Then show him this site. Teach him to slice? Heck, inspire him to cook!

... teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

Thirdeye, those are great instructions. It makes it almost idiot-proof.

I think I'll keep that file handy for the occasional times that I might need to pass the information along in a concise, easy to read format.

Great run down on the brisket. That is very well put together and perfect for anyone with questions about how to handle a brisket after the fire goes out.

Thanks, like I said, the instructions have grown somewhat. Many years ago I was asked to smoke 4 briskets for a wedding rehearsal dinner. The problem was.... the rehearsal took place on a ranch about 300 miles away. Needless to say I was pretty nervous because I was not there to reheat and slice.

So what I did was smoke 5 briskets and froze them. On a Monday I gave the grooms Mother a frozen brisket and instructions on how to thaw it in the fridge and reheat it on Friday night in the oven. I figured if she could pull it off at home..... the rehearsal dinner would be no problem..... she did just fine.

Don't do it.

I gave a close friend of mine some pulled pork once. Now I have over 40lbs of pork butt in my freezer from him to smoke whenever I smoke some for myself.

You'd be better off making him a UDS and letting him smoke his own.

Don't do it.

I gave a close friend of mine some pulled pork once. Now I have over 40lbs of pork butt in my freezer from him to smoke whenever I smoke some for myself.

You'd be better off making him a UDS and letting him smoke his own.

well I took him to restaurant depot and picked out a brisket for him, he told me to get one for myself (I just made one, so I declined) he said pick out something else so I grabbed a nice sized sirloin tip.

Then we went to the charcoal area, I grabbed a bag of RO, he grabbed another one. He asked me if I needed anything else, I said no, this is way to much LOL. He could not get over the prices there and went on a mini shopping spree for himself.

He paid for everything, so I will smoke meat for him anytime LOL

Thank you Wayne!!!

I agree smoke one or two for him the first time and then he is on his own.

well I took him to restaurant depot and picked out a brisket for him, he told me to get one for myself (I just made one, so I declined) he said pick out something else so I grabbed a nice sized sirloin tip.

Then we went to the charcoal area, I grabbed a bag of RO, he grabbed another one. He asked me if I needed anything else, I said no, this is way to much LOL. He could not get over the prices there and went on a mini shopping spree for himself.

He paid for everything, so I will smoke meat for him anytime LOL

Well if he is buying enough for the both of you, go for it.

My friend does the same most of the time, plus he stocks a lot of beer at his house for me, and he doesn't drink beer.

Back