Baking in the WSM

Bill-Chicago

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Professor Dickweed
Sorry all, coulda used the Trial run thread, but needed a new title.

My first WSM experience, farking tragic.

All I heard was how great the WSM held temps.

Well they were right, only my farking temp I held was 320*

It was a farking all day affair of removing the lid, closing all dampers, etc.

I talked to Phil. I had all dampers closed for 1 hour, removed 5# of the 10# of coals I put in there, and that farker still held at 278* for 40 minutes.

Got it down to 240, opened the one vent 1/16, and bam 290.

I had like farking 3 coals in there. I had to add a few more just to keep a fire going. added about 10 coals (all the coals and dust slipped through the charcoal grate) and bam 320 again.

You could throw a matchbook on fire in this thing and it would keep 250 for 4 hours.

Ribs (spares) wrapped in under 2 hours, done in inder 4. Loin, more forgiving, done in 4 hours. Thighs, done in 2 hours, but moved to oven to maintain 200*.

So I need another test.

Lit matchbook holds 250!!!! priceless.

ROFLMAO!!!!

Just ate the spares, they had hot pepper jelly. People loved them.

Pork loin came out just like always. It was just the insanity of the constant farking with the WSM.

Lesson: A little goes a llllooooonnnngggg way. 5# of charcoal is all you need to start.

Fark

I need to adjust my power winch mod to lift the farking WSM lid ever 3 minutes to bring the temps down.

don't think I ever got a wsm tht hot b4 Bill--at least with a sand(water) pan in place! did ya have lots of air gaps?? Did a brisket last nite(about 15lb br trimming) Filled the ring with a bunch of lump. a couple chunks of pecan and about a 1/4 chimney of lit lump spread over the top. Left all the vents open for about 15min then put that honking brisket on the top rack and closed the all the vent except the top. That was about 6pm or so--came home about 1am, added more lump(unlite), next time I opened the cover was about 9am to wrap the brisket and sent it to the cooler.
After about an hr or so separated the point and put it back on for about 2 more hrs--
wil go post a couple pics---it was all darn good

Buzz

Damn Buzz.
I am saving a copy of your thread.

Cuz I got a farking heat storm. Confirmed on 2 different probes.

Lesson 1: Use Kingford Only. I used 7# of Big Briq (natural charcoal) and a full chinmey of Kingsford. Natural POOPIE burns HOT!!!!!!

Lesson #2. Throw out everything you learned with the Bandera and ECB. I spent more time removing fuel (and hickery chunk) cux I over fueled it.

I gotta try again before Tday

my new wsm suffers from lots of gaps so I use foil gaskets to seal it some--ez to get 12+ hrs with lump and maybe up to 16hrs or so with Kingsford--starting with maybe 12-14 lite briqs. In the winter(or when doing chicken) have to open vents some but usually once the fire is going I'm gone for the length of the cook sometimes--
have fun trying
just loaded some food pics
Buzz--

Buzz, I gots a few ??????'s

how do you tell there are air gaps??? Only leakage I saw on mine was around the door. A little coaxing and the door fit much better. I also learned today, that i keep my door upside down. Looked like it made more sense to me to put it that way when I built it(based on direction of airflow).

I was going to try all lump last time, but i chickened out and stuck with kingsford. So, using lump, the norm for a brisket would be to fill the ring, then add 1/4 chimney of lit lump on top. ??? Will the lump burn faster than Kingsford? i got nearly a 12hour burn on a full level ring of kingsford with a full chimney on top. You went from 6-1AM. When you added more unlit lump, you added it on top of the lit stuff?? or did ya moved the lit aside or put it on top??

How much wood do you use???I never used more than 6-8 chunks during the entire burn. And had to add them sparingly or i flow with white smoke.

and lastly.. those brisket pics made me dribble on my shirt.

Bill My wsm did the same thing when it was new, it needs a coulpe of long slow burns to settle in. Most agree that a new one runs about 50/60° hotter until it broken in. Because its porcelin coated i don't think it seasons like bare steel but it does get a coating on the inside which insulates it as opposed to new steel which reflects more heat..
Start out cooking chicken or something that can take the higher temps.
Gary
PS in time you will love it .

as far as air gaps--just look at how the whole thing goes together--mine was door and the bottom ring--good call on putting the door upside down--doesn't fall out as easy either!

when I added more lump just put it to one side--could have made it till morn but when I passed out--er-fell asleep didn't now what time morn would be for sure! Usually plan on at least 12hrs with a load of lump b4 adding more--if the cooker feels cool will light some in a chimney otherwise it goes in raw--just don't choke the already burning fire
buried a couple chunks of pecan and stuck one more on the top when I added the meat. As a rule the wsm wont get cleaned till the ash won't clear the bottom grate--with kingsford that is about one burn--with lump that will be darn near all winter
time for work
see ya

Buzz

gary said:
Bill My wsm did the same thing when it was new, it needs a coulpe of long slow burns to settle in. Most agree that a new one runs about 50/60° hotter until it broken in. Because its porcelin coated i don't think it seasons like bare steel but it does get a coating on the inside which insulates it as opposed to new steel which reflects more heat..
Start out cooking chicken or something that can take the higher temps.
Gary
PS in time you will love it .

Thanks Gary.

And I love it now, its just breaking in a new toy, I need to be more forgiving.

My wife was calling me a friggin psycho yesterday cuz she saw me farking around all day with the thing cuz I want it perfect, even the first time.

I can get the Bandera to a near perfect Q, with proper temps, thin blue, etc each and every time, regardless of wind, rain, etc.

So on a beautiful day of 65*, I just thought it would have been easier.

Half the fun is the testing. And thanks for the tips. Gonna read up on virtualweberbullet, before my next test.

Back